Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-06-2013, 19:16   #76
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: Health insurance for Americans

boatguy--ye wanna know why healthcare folks have to get so much pay--is because of the lobbies and legislators and corruption within the alleged system... lawyers and tort law and such--is ridiculous. md has to pay out per year over 150,000 usd for the payment on their insurance policies for malpractice--those 2 reasons are your absurd payments.

when these problems are finally addressed then will there be realistic rates in health care.

here in mexico , without all that balderdash, things are considerably cheaper , even at private hospitals. very affordable for those with low income. funny how most of the physicians here have been taught in and by usa physicians....and, as the universal language of health care/medicine is still english, they do understand your needs.....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2013, 19:34   #77
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

7%

That is the highest accepted estimate of TOTAL malpractice in health insurance spending. Maybe that doctor you know paying 150K has had a few accidents or is a 2 million a year brain surgeon or something it's more like 30-50K for an average practice. What they SHOULD pay a staff member in the office. But, hey these lawyers are on there ass so the office staff only get $8/ hr and no benefits.

Sure, it would be nice to shave that down a bit but as a citizen its nice to know you can get a reasonable settlement if harmed. I have lived and worked in NZ quite a bit. If they screw up there, you get an "I'm Sorry" and maybe 50K settlement if you're in a wheel chair for the rest of your life because of someone else's mistake whether it be a drunk driver, drunk boater, bad doctor, etc.

I'm not a lawyer and have no close friends that are, but TORT reform cries are BS scapegoating from the industrial complex.

Another example, my neighbor is a medical implant rep. If a medicare patient get a hip replacement; he makes more on supplying the implant to the system than the doctor does performing the surgery..

Gotta get out of this ******* filled nice neighborhood!!! Couple a lawyers on the block to.
Old 27-06-2013, 20:04   #78

Send a message via Skype™ to Gadagirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
Here's the problem; medical industrial complex employees earn to much money. A guy on my street is an surgeon of dubious repute. He makes let's say 400K. The average male head of household on this town earns let's say 40K.

In the UK or any other first would country the average earner would get say 50K and the doctor would get maybe 200K max.

See the problem??

To be clear; I'm not bashing American "exceptionalism" I'm just pointing out the math isn't sustainable. The problem with fixing the system is huge, but the problem is simple.

FYI when Flint Michigan was going backrupt. The CEO of the "non profit" hospital was making 5 million a year. Personal acquaintance of my in-laws.
It's nothing to do with civic duty, compassion toward humanity and citizens, it's about how they can profit. And to those of us living here, but under a certain income, we are left to struggle. It's not at all sustainable because more and more are forced into poverty and they can only suck so much from us. If they were smart enough to let us profit also, then they could continue to suck the life out of us ! Make it perpetual! LOL I am not educated enough or brilliant enough to offer up alternative solutions. Wish I could.
Gadagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2013, 03:54   #79
CLOD

Boat: none

how about more true stories of Americans cruising about what they are doing/paying for health care, and less ranting about the system?
Old 28-06-2013, 04:50   #80
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

don l--i TOLD you i donot use health insurance out here--i use cash.is cheap and easy. healthcare in mexico is very incredibly and impressively not expensive.

by the way--i am still out here cruising ---- as i will be for many years .
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2013, 07:18   #81

Boat: Seaward 22

It's sad what is happening with healthcare in the US. There is plenty of blame to go around. I hate it when people just blame the rich or point the finger at the poor. Everyone has ownership.

What I do know is that 13 years ago the birth of my daughter cost me $200 out of pocket. Now it would be $7,000. Same employer. My cost of insurance has gone up over 20% per year. Now my plan is basically catastophic plan costing an astronomical amount per month.

The Affordable Care Act will open more people's eyes to the cost of insurance....which is good. As much as I don't like government intervention, I am in favor of a single payer system that forces everyone into the program. Everyone has to have skin in the game. The ER has to be able to turn people away to cheaper care for non-emergency situations.
ohdrinkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2013, 09:01   #82
Armchair Bucketeer

Over here I have paid towards the birth of every person who has been born on the island for the last 30 odd years (and to educate most of them - mixed results on that!).....and neither of that is likely to ever be reciprocated. But despite being on the freemarketeer end of capitalism it does not bother me in the slightest, nor 99.99% of folks in all income brackets. It works because a) it is nowadays considered normal (never used to be like that) and b) because effectively we are all forced by da Gubberment to insure and pay for each other - the private sector makes it's money by cherry picking the risks / good customers (those who pay but never need, at least not until after the exclusions kick in!), IMO some things are simply too important to be left to the Private Sector.

$7k for a new kid, what do they go for s/h?........
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2013, 10:04   #83

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don L View Post
how about more true stories of Americans cruising about what they are doing/paying for health care, and less ranting about the system?
Don
We use a $10,000 deductible out of the Blueshield/Regence in our state of residence, Washington. We are full time cruisers. It is our single biggest expense. The only medical expenses we've had was very reasonable in Panama City and paid for out of pocket.
Old 28-06-2013, 10:07   #84

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
Over here I have paid towards the birth of every person who has been born on the island for the last 30 odd years (and to educate most of them - mixed results on that!).....and neither of that is likely to ever be reciprocated. But despite being on the freemarketeer end of capitalism it does not bother me in the slightest, nor 99.99% of folks in all income brackets. It works because a) it is nowadays considered normal (never used to be like that) and b) because effectively we are all forced by da Gubberment to insure and pay for each other - the private sector makes it's money by cherry picking the risks / good customers (those who pay but never need, at least not until after the exclusions kick in!), IMO some things are simply too important to be left to the Private Sector.

$7k for a new kid, what do they go for s/h?........
The British health system covers more people, with better outcomes, at a significantly lower per person cost than the US system. Not the economy of competition that is supposed to arise out of capitalism.
Old 28-06-2013, 10:16   #85
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
The British health system covers more people, with better outcomes, at a significantly lower per person cost than the US system. Not the economy of competition that is supposed to arise out of capitalism.
Over here the system is basically the same as the UK NHS, but with a few differences - no free dental care (at least not from the healthcare budget) and our GP's are private so we have to pay each visit (albeit it is subsidised). So no poor GP's over here!, and it does affect many - but on the upside it means (unlike the UK) that can get an appointment pretty much on demand (especially if actually sick!, not just feeling a bit poorly!) as folks do think carefully about whether they need to see a Doctor (death rates over here comparable to elsewhere!) and folks can even easily chop and change what doctor / practice you are with (I believe in the UK not always possible to pick the one you want).

Personally (as someone who has been through the system a bit in recent years, with self and others) I think it works very well overall, mostly public with a bit of private (can of course go all private for everything, via insurance or via cash - most don't bother as it will likely be the same surgeon in the same hospital, just the wait a bit longer).
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2013, 10:17   #86
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Don
We use a $10,000 deductible out of the Blueshield/Regence in our state of residence, Washington. We are full time cruisers. It is our single biggest expense. The only medical expenses we've had was very reasonable in Panama City and paid for out of pocket.

If you don't mind sharing, how much is that costing you? is that plan really for being in the US?
Old 28-06-2013, 10:28   #87

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1

Isn't it funny how every single program that benefits average or poor Americans is going broke while the programs that benefit Boeing or GE or Haliburton or Exxon or B of A or Chase or the senate or congress or any other form of corporate welfare, well they're all doing fine.
Old 28-06-2013, 10:42   #88

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
What in the name of god are u buying for 24k a year. That would fund some boat !

Dave
It's sick isn't it?

Only because one illness/admission could wipe all other savings out in a blink.

Did you read that Time article? Pretty clear there.

Tough choices that the wife and I have to agree on.
Old 28-06-2013, 10:45   #89

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
If you are cruising fulltime then your income is probably pretty low, so you do qualify for the subsidy rates. My second point was that if you have a lot of income and want US insurance, then pay up and whine on as needed.

For me, health insurance is more an asset insurance than pre-paid medical. I don't want to get seriously sick and burn through our assets and end up dead, like we all will, leaving my wife with nothing. So $10,000 a year deductible is fine with me.
Yep.

If I didn't have a wife (and kids) it would be easy.
Old 28-06-2013, 10:51   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadagirl View Post
Sigh....Sorry to Hi-jack OP but this issue has been my obstacle and conundrum in my planning. I'm actively researching and seeking something that will fit my model. The ACA has been encouraging for me for a couple of reasons.....1) I do not have to stay married to my job/corporation to maintain health insurance. 2) I no longer fear, that should I experience a catastrophic illness, the insurance company is allowed to drop me mid-stream in treatment. 3) 100% covered screening for certain cancers and diseases (preventative).

So, As long as I can afford a catastrophic policy with a high deductible, in the off chance I develop a disease that would force me home for treatment. I can combine that with self insurance (pay cash for dental work, minor ailments, etc. in more affordable countries along the way), buy a minimum policy to repatriate me if need be, and I should be good to go right?

Reading the TIME article encourages me to sell all and spend it cruising. Hell, I can spend it cruising or hand it over to the collection agency later. Right? Because regardless, I'll either be denied care, when no money left for care, and die, or be living under a bridge and die if I'm cured and they consume what small savings I have. This thread inspired me on how can Americans can get care or afford care and the results were crushing, I cried reading the pleas on this forum

Need Help Paying Bills, Debt, and Mortgage • Index page

Plea after Plea going unanswered. I couldn't find any forums, or open source information on how to obtain or get help other than this and although it leads people back to all of the charitable organizations it seems that most were denied or had difficulty navigating this impossible system.

You'd assume that those that couldn't afford help were provided for, but you would be wrong. Nope, they were expected to pull up their big panties and make plans to afford what was the inevitable and not be a burden on those that capitalize upon it. How can you be "fiscally responsible" by saving for retirement when your insurance premiums are 20% of your earnings? But in our society, not all are born to luck, intelligence, or wealth. So just as well they they falter and die, because they are of no use to the machine that feeds you. Right? You've got yours.

And I sympathize with the people that jump through hoops, overwhelming paper work, that is near impossible to discern, let alone submit, (some undereducated, making things more overwhelming) only to be denied while grasping straws, trying to balance all. I'd rather dive overboard and feed the real sharks than hand over my life savings to a corporation. It's a disgusting system at best.
Well said.

If it weren't for the family..................................

Tags
health, insurance