Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 08-02-2007, 17:53   #16

Boat: 36' steel cutter
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor
COBRA just means "Hey, if you canned somebody, they're entitled to continue their insurance coverage for a while till they figure out something else" ... It will always allow you to maintain your existing policy (or close to it) at a below-market rate...
Exactly. Thanks for explaining the ins and outs to everyone. Like I said, if your COBRA rate is far and away the best deal for you, $90/month for instance, then nothing can beat that. Similarly, if you have health problems, it's imperative you avoid lapsing your coverage. We can talk semantics around the clock, but the clearest we can all be is that people must shop around for the best option for THEMSELVES. Most people think COBRA is their best bet and don't bother to shop around, when a better price for better coverage is very likely available.

I quit my job, moved out of state and onto a sailboat. COBRA at any price would have not been the best option because my coverage was with a plan only available in that region of the country. I'd have been out of network for all services after moving. Even if that wasn't the case, it was so ridiculously expensive for mediocre coverage for a healthy person my age. So I chose a large-network, high-deductible plan good for people in my situation (and with network coverage even in the small town where we chose to winter). That's the nut of it: It works for ME.

Old 08-02-2007, 18:02   #17

Boat: 36' steel cutter
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssullivan
Funeral? Cremation? Boat storage? My wife's ready to just dump me overboard if I give up the ghost... ha ha ha If you're not too sentimental, and you're 3 miles offshore, and the body is weighed to sink to the bottom, you're good to go, legally.
Oh my god I nearly peed my pants laughing so hard at your post. Well, one must be prepared for anything, right? My husband was an Eagle Scout and I'M the one handling our insurance needs. Hm. What's wrong with that picture? Is there something in the Boy Scout Handbook that tells you to marry smart? That book covers everything.

Thanks for the chuckle!

Old 08-02-2007, 19:14   #18
cruiser

health insurance

Consumer guides recommentd Voyager as one of the best .
Avoid Worldwide Mediclaim Travel Underwriters at all costs.I made a claim and they simply refused tro pay, because I didn't have a credit card for them to put my expenses on and force me to go to court to get reimbursed. My brother and others I've spoken to had major headaches dealing with them..Their main focus is trying to weasel out of paying any way they can.
Brent Swain
Old 08-02-2007, 21:45   #19
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

"my coverage was with a plan only available in that region of the country."

Yeah, a lot of people have been getting that surprise. Go on vacation and the kids come down with an earache from something they caught on the plane, or someone gets hurt skiing, or steps on a sea urchin...and people find out the hard way, they have no medical coverage until they return home. Here in the US where we're used to being "home" with the same currency and language and all even if we're two thousand miles away from it...that's a rude surprise. There don't seem to be many national provider plans left, certainly not in the budget/HMO price range.

Tags
health insurance

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: