Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-11-2011, 19:40   #1

Boat: Lagoon 440
Health Care in USA for Cruisers

We are Australian and will commence cruising USA and Caribbean in January 2012, What medical coverage do you suggest to cover us both aged 59 and healthy non-smokers? Cheers and thanks.
Old 16-11-2011, 20:36   #2

Re: Health care in USA for cruisers.

You might want to check with you present insurance first as they may have an inter company agreement with a US based company. I know some US companys cover their patients around the world.

Most US medical insurance is expensive with a capital E. Health care is the highest profit industry in the US and rates are rising well ahead of the cost of living, UGH!

This didn't help much but, best to know the truth and be ready for it.
martinjrichter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2011, 20:41   #3

Ty ..ok to put it in perspective to cover us both for one year including death dental medical evacuation intensive care etc etc its $1600:00. Or just medical $1200:00 our dollars similar value. So your saying american is considerably dearer> Cheers Frank
Old 16-11-2011, 21:09   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagoon4us View Post
Ty ..ok to put it in perspective to cover us both for one year including death dental medical evacuation intensive care etc etc its $1600:00. Or just medical $1200:00 our dollars similar value. So your saying american is considerably dearer> Cheers Frank
Yes. Some Americans monthly premiums approach your annual premium. Be VERY aware of the deductibles for any transient policy you consider. A hospital visit for something as simple as a broken leg can easily cost you Twice your annual healthcare premium in Aus. And each entity usually bills you separately. That means separate bills from the ambulance agency, hospital, attending doctor & radiologist. In the for profit healthcare world, your illness or injury turns you into an ATM machine.
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail. - (George Carlin)
Aussiesuede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2011, 21:16   #5

Yes, the rates run $500 and up per month for the family. You might want to check on line. Try Blue Cross, Pacific Mutual, United Healthcare or Aetna to see what they say. Just take a seat before you look at the answer. Good luck
martinjrichter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2011, 22:11   #6

Boat: International Etchells USA 125 Black Magic, Santana 20 475 Ghost, Hobie 33 3100 Bruja, dinghies,
Re: Health Care in USA for Cruisers

The US magazine Consumer Reports very recently had an article about health care plans in the USA, with ratings for plans and customer satisfaction. Also, it might be interesting reading to see what guidebooks such as Lonely Planet have to say about US health care. And, it might be possible to buy a major medical insurance policy with a somewhat high deductible to have for use in the event of a catastrophic medical situation.
Old 16-11-2011, 22:29   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiesuede View Post
Yes. Some Americans monthly premiums approach your annual premium. Be VERY aware of the deductibles for any transient policy you consider. A hospital visit for something as simple as a broken leg can easily cost you Twice your annual healthcare premium in Aus. And each entity usually bills you separately. That means separate bills from the ambulance agency, hospital, attending doctor & radiologist. In the for profit healthcare world, your illness or injury turns you into an ATM machine.
Um, you are right, but completely wrong on price.

a few years ago, I had an ambulance ride, and an ER visit for a broken Clavicle. An X ray but **NO** treatment or setting of bone.

$9,000

This year I broke the 5th metacarpal, (pinky) and had a simple surgery with a couple pins set.

14,000 (so far)

And Last year I broke my arm, and had a plate installed.
That was pushing 40k.

You are almost better off being indigent with NO health care. You WILL get any ER type treatment and then they will just try to collect. Good luck going after a foreign national.

But boy, am I sure glad we don't have socialized medicine like them commie ausies!! lol.
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2011, 22:48   #8

Lol us aussies pay around 2% of our wage into medicare and Everything is covered, if you want faster service and a saucer under your teacup whilst in hospital u can opt for private cover thats tax deductible. No one dies here wanting care and no one pays those amounts youv'e mentioned! Cheers
Old 16-11-2011, 22:49   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by xymotic View Post
Um, you are right, but completely wrong on price.

a few years ago, I had an ambulance ride, and an ER visit for a broken Clavicle. An X ray but **NO** treatment or setting of bone.

$9,000

This year I broke the 5th metacarpal, (pinky) and had a simple surgery with a couple pins set.

14,000 (so far)

And Last year I broke my arm, and had a plate installed.
That was pushing 40k.

You are almost better off being indigent with NO health care. You WILL get any ER type treatment and then they will just try to collect. Good luck going after a foreign national.

But boy, am I sure glad we don't have socialized medicine like them commie ausies!! lol.
Are you a footballer???? or just unlucky? lol
Old 16-11-2011, 22:49   #10

Until we get smart and DRAFT all of the Dr's back into the MASH's we won't be able to buy an inexpensive boat or get our pinkie set ...
micheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2011, 22:54   #11

Quote:
Are you a footballer???? or just unlucky? lol
Lol, well, APPARENTLY dirt bikes are dangerous. Who knew?
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2011, 22:57   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by xymotic View Post
Lol, well, APPARENTLY dirt bikes are dangerous. Who knew?
LMAO Body 63k dirt bike 8k? Go sailing mate but keep your helmet on ROFLMO
Old 16-11-2011, 23:00   #13

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
LMAO Body 63k dirt bike 8k? Go sailing mate but keep your helmet on ROFLMO
I see bike rider. A temporary American.

Somebody telling you something.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2011, 23:05   #14

Boat: Gemini 105MC 34 ft hull#753

Just a simple DR clinic visit for a flue viris cost me $120.00 cash up front before seeing the DR and the perscription cost $30.00 for 3 weeks of antibotics. I am feeling better but not about the cost.
Old 17-11-2011, 13:57   #15

There are companies which offer short term plans for travelers, but they are generally of the "catastrophic coverage" variety with $500- $7000 deductables. Here is a link to such a company. I did an online quote out of curiosity for someone in your age range. Catastrophic coverage with a $500 deductible was $490/month and with a $2500 deductible you could lower the premium to $250/month. HCC Medical Insurance Services: https://www.mnui.com/short-term-medi...eferid=9800100

As a consultant, I'm in independant contractor status in the US and choose not to pay the exorbitant premiums for healthcare during the half of the year I'm in the US. The high cost of Healthcare is one of the reasons I chose to purchase a condo in Seattle, so that I could be reasonably close to healthcare in Vancouver should the need arise. 2 years ago I broke my ankle whilst skiing in Montana. After the ski patrol got me to the bottom of the hill, I told them I was ok - even though I was in excruciating pain. Not knowing the extent of my injury, I still preferenced having my buddy load me up into the back of the SUV and drive me north across the border to Saskatchewan for treatment. My total cost for that incident, including surgery for ligament repair and the ensuing physical therapy, was a sum total of $347. It could have easily cost me $20,000 had I elected to be treated in Montana and followed up with physical therapy in Washington.

So you might want to give thought to purchasing a refundable plane ticket to Canada to keep handy during your time cruising the US. It's simply not a place you want to chance getting caught up in their mess of a healthcare system. It's an easy path to bankruptcy. Healthcare bills are the leading cause of bankruptcy in the US. Medical bills prompt more than 60 percent of U.S. bankruptcies - CNN
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail. - (George Carlin)
Aussiesuede is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
health care