Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-11-2011, 18:05   #31
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 617
Re: Health Care in USA for Cruisers

I had over $20,000 for one elbow surgery - to the surgeon in New York.
Hospital, radiologist etc was on insurance.
One walk in emergency room treatment for anti-biotics cost $1,200 .
I reckon 24 - 48 hours in an american hospital would easily breach $100,000.
It is common for good medical professionals to not accept insurance. Why should they? Why should they hassle with the hassles and pay to handle the paperwork?...

Australia isn't so great - basic system is ok - but there are waiting lists. My parents, in Melbourne, have private insurance on top of the public medicare and still frequently have to pay high amounts (well I pay the high amounts).

One time I had 3 surgeries in New Zealand. no charge - and best care anywhere - ok except Thailand.

America has a terrible health care system - frequently terrible conditions and extraordinary high prices...
Reminds me I should look into getting insurance too...
__________________

__________________
AllezCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2011, 18:13   #32
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2011
Boat: Island Packet 380
Posts: 25
Re: Health Care in USA for Cruisers

There are a number or reasons for the high cost of health care in the US. Cost shifting is one of the biggest. If a procedure cost 1000 to provide, but medicare only pays 500, and medicade only pays 200, then the difference is shifted to those who will pay ie insurance co. and private pay. Now instead of a procedure costing 1000 it now cost 1800 to the rest of us. I have worked in heath care for 35 years and each year the cost of indengent care ( remember no one can be turned away from an er) and the cuts is mecicade by the cash strapped states have pushed up the sticker price of procedures. The rembursement for the procedure that I preform was cut by 40% last year. I am not a Dr but I work for a practice. With the cuts and the down turn in the economy ( we have not refused to see any patient because he lost his insurance and cannot pay) I have not see a salary increase in since 08. I pay an increase in insurance premiums just like every one else. There are other factors that go in to a lousy system, but it is what it is.
__________________

__________________
j dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2011, 18:24   #33
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Fethiye Turkey
Boat: Lagoon 440
Posts: 3,164
Re: Health Care in USA for Cruisers

The best i've found for us is on this site:- http://www.1cover.com.au/member/welcome.html This is a travel company in Australia and like i said $1600 odd covers us both for twelve months. Hard to beat!
__________________
"Political correctness is a creeping sickness that knows no boundaries"
Lagoon4us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2011, 18:26   #34
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Maryland
Boat: Neptunian 33 - Syren
Posts: 19
First hand experience as I broke my fibula and tibia last month and have no health insurance here in the US. Currently my bills are 12k. I still have the cast on...that comes off in 2 weeks and hopefully everything will be healed.
7k hospital
2k anesthesiologist
The rest for radiologist, orthopedic surgeon (plate and 13 screws), ER visit, prescriptions, attending ER doc. Yes, you get billed separately by everyone who looked at you.
I hope to do PT on my own as I can't pay for a professional.
__________________
saltysiren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2011, 18:39   #35
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Fethiye Turkey
Boat: Lagoon 440
Posts: 3,164
Re: Health Care in USA for Cruisers

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltysiren View Post
First hand experience as I broke my fibula and tibia last month and have no health insurance here in the US. Currently my bills are 12k. I still have the cast on...that comes off in 2 weeks and hopefully everything will be healed.
7k hospital
2k anesthesiologist
The rest for radiologist, orthopedic surgeon (plate and 13 screws), ER visit, prescriptions, attending ER doc. Yes, you get billed separately by everyone who looked at you.
I hope to do PT on my own as I can't pay for a professional.
That's not good, i'm picking up the Cat at Edgewater Maryland in early december i'll make sure my cover starts before i leave Australia, i not want an injury throw a financial spanner in the works,.
Take care.... Cheers
__________________
"Political correctness is a creeping sickness that knows no boundaries"
Lagoon4us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2011, 18:42   #36
Nearly an old salt
 
goboatingnow's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 13,649
Images: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by j dragon
........ There are other factors that go in to a lousy system, but it is what it is.

Well change it then. "all that is required for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing " etc etc

Dave
__________________
Check out my new blog on smart boat technology, networking and gadgets for the connected sailor! - http://smartboats.tumblr.com
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2011, 18:46   #37
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 617
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagoon4us
The best i've found for us is on this site:- http://www.1cover.com.au/member/welcome.html This is a travel company in Australia and like i said $1600 odd covers us both for twelve months. Hard to beat!
Another issue .
Will hospitals accept this insurance? Or do you pay and then claim?
__________________
AllezCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2011, 18:52   #38
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Fethiye Turkey
Boat: Lagoon 440
Posts: 3,164
Re: Health Care in USA for Cruisers

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllezCat View Post
Another issue .
Will hospitals accept this insurance? Or do you pay and then claim?
Still got to read all the fine print etc its worldwide cover so prob every country is treated differently, i had a friends son who dived into a shallow pool in Turkey breaking his back the insurance covered all medical transport repatriation and on going care the parents did not have to pay over than their own personal flights. A bit of reading will tell. Cheers
__________________
"Political correctness is a creeping sickness that knows no boundaries"
Lagoon4us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2011, 18:58   #39
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2011
Boat: Island Packet 380
Posts: 25
Re: Health Care in USA for Cruisers

How about some practical advise gogoatingnow. You see how Obama's health care law is working out. Like it or not the only way is a single payer system like GB, Canada, ect. But to get there you have to pay for it, not borrow from China. That means taxes, not from the rich but from all of us. And more goverment control over delivery of care (death panels). I would love to stay but I have just been called to the er. I also do part time to make ends meet.
__________________
j dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2011, 19:03   #40
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Fethiye Turkey
Boat: Lagoon 440
Posts: 3,164
Re: Health Care in USA for Cruisers

Quote:
Originally Posted by j dragon View Post
How about some practical advise gogoatingnow. You see how Obama's health care law is working out. Like it or not the only way is a single payer system like GB, Canada, ect. But to get there you have to pay for it, not borrow from China. That means taxes, not from the rich but from all of us. And more goverment control over delivery of care (death panels). I would love to stay but I have just been called to the er. I also do part time to make ends meet.
Australia went through this 20 odd years ago it's called THE HARD YARDS not an easy task now for you guys your political system from an outsiders standpoint appears to be handcuffed. Not easy...........
__________________
"Political correctness is a creeping sickness that knows no boundaries"
Lagoon4us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2011, 19:05   #41
Registered User
 
Hillbillylad's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Boat: Westerly Centaur
Posts: 207
Re: Health Care in USA for Cruisers

Quote:
Originally Posted by j dragon View Post
How about some practical advise gogoatingnow. You see how Obama's health care law is working out. Like it or not the only way is a single payer system like GB, Canada, ect. But to get there you have to pay for it, not borrow from China. That means taxes, not from the rich but from all of us. And more goverment control over delivery of care (death panels). I would love to stay but I have just been called to the er. I also do part time to make ends meet.
I think I'd rather have my taxes spent on medicines rather than bombs....Yer paying em however they get spent.....just sayin'
__________________
Hillbillylad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2011, 19:28   #42
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Western Australia
Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 311
Posts: 133
Re: Health Care in USA for Cruisers

Worth considering if you travel to the US:
- the only thing 'free' from the ER is is basic care to sustain life, not to fix you up.
- the quality of care very often depends on your age. There is less impetus for US doctors to provide quality care for those 60+ years of age. This is because malpractice suit claims will be based on potential earnings loss and for someone who is retired, or near retirement, the potential profit is not worth the lawyer's time and they will not take the case. As a consequence, doctors often ignore these patients and they die before their time. It is a sad fact that this has happened to friends and family on a number of occasions. The best insurance of an older person in hospital is a friend or family member who makes enquiries of the hospital staff daily.
__________________
RigelKent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2011, 20:01   #43
Nearly an old salt
 
goboatingnow's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 13,649
Images: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by j dragon
How about some practical advise gogoatingnow. You see how Obama's health care law is working out. Like it or not the only way is a single payer system like GB, Canada, ect. But to get there you have to pay for it, not borrow from China. That means taxes, not from the rich but from all of us. And more goverment control over delivery of care (death panels). I would love to stay but I have just been called to the er. I also do part time to make ends meet.
No US taxation merely favours the rich. Government control of health may not be perfect but it's far better then corporate controlled healthcare.

As for the Death panels don't make me laugh. I've no comment on Obamacare. I beleive it's a mark of a civilised society that cares for it's sick and elderly and educates it children, irrespective of income.

Sorry if we've strayed. But I was asked what I would do. I'd raise taxes and cut military spending and use the money on some form of universal healthcare. If after that you what as the man from Oz said a saucer under your cup then insurance has a role.

Yea healthcare is expensive and national schemes can be imperfect and inefficient. But I suspect if a reasonable proportion of Americans experienced they'd never go back. Despite all it's issues the Brits would never dump the NHS nor any EU country undo it's state healthcare system.

So why does the US remain out of step with almost all the developed world. It's not as if it couldn't be afforded.

Dave
__________________
Check out my new blog on smart boat technology, networking and gadgets for the connected sailor! - http://smartboats.tumblr.com
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2011, 20:16   #44
cruiser

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Tampa Bay area
Boat: Hunter 31'
Posts: 5,731
Re: Health Care in USA for Cruisers

Quote:
Originally Posted by j dragon View Post
There are a number or reasons for the high cost of health care in the US. Cost shifting is one of the biggest. If a procedure cost 1000 to provide, but medicare only pays 500, and medicade only pays 200, then the difference is shifted to those who will pay ie insurance co. and private pay. Now instead of a procedure costing 1000 it now cost 1800 to the rest of us. I have worked in heath care for 35 years and each year the cost of indengent care ( remember no one can be turned away from an er) and the cuts is mecicade by the cash strapped states have pushed up the sticker price of procedures. The rembursement for the procedure that I preform was cut by 40% last year. I am not a Dr but I work for a practice. With the cuts and the down turn in the economy ( we have not refused to see any patient because he lost his insurance and cannot pay) I have not see a salary increase in since 08. I pay an increase in insurance premiums just like every one else. There are other factors that go in to a lousy system, but it is what it is.
For me, the bottom line is that we're too dumb to figure out a solution.
__________________
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2011, 20:27   #45
Registered User
 
Aussiesuede's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: Vancouver, BC & Seattle, WA
Posts: 641
Re: Health Care in USA for Cruisers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
For me, the bottom line is that we're too dumb to figure out a solution.
Not too dumb. Simply too busy being worried about what we've been led to believe is the "other side" win, that any common sense answers get torpedoed for purely partisan reasons - just as the greedy corporations desire. they've got Americans too busy hating reds and blues that they're too distracted to do anything constructive for the common good
.

Too many folks are treating our political arena like a football game and only care about their side winning. It's ridiculous.
__________________

__________________
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail. - (George Carlin)
Aussiesuede is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
health care

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to Return to the USA Lexxy Atlantic & the Caribbean 27 11-10-2011 08:02
Health care for older sailors twoblocktom Health, Safety & Related Gear 32 24-06-2011 20:10



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:34.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.