Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-11-2011, 17:05   #31

Re: Health Care in USA for Cruisers

I had over $20,000 for one elbow surgery - to the surgeon in New York.
Hospital, radiologist etc was on insurance.
One walk in emergency room treatment for anti-biotics cost $1,200 .
I reckon 24 - 48 hours in an american hospital would easily breach $100,000.
It is common for good medical professionals to not accept insurance. Why should they? Why should they hassle with the hassles and pay to handle the paperwork?...

Australia isn't so great - basic system is ok - but there are waiting lists. My parents, in Melbourne, have private insurance on top of the public medicare and still frequently have to pay high amounts (well I pay the high amounts).

One time I had 3 surgeries in New Zealand. no charge - and best care anywhere - ok except Thailand.

America has a terrible health care system - frequently terrible conditions and extraordinary high prices...
Reminds me I should look into getting insurance too...
AllezCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2011, 17:13   #32

Boat: Island Packet 380

There are a number or reasons for the high cost of health care in the US. Cost shifting is one of the biggest. If a procedure cost 1000 to provide, but medicare only pays 500, and medicade only pays 200, then the difference is shifted to those who will pay ie insurance co. and private pay. Now instead of a procedure costing 1000 it now cost 1800 to the rest of us. I have worked in heath care for 35 years and each year the cost of indengent care ( remember no one can be turned away from an er) and the cuts is mecicade by the cash strapped states have pushed up the sticker price of procedures. The rembursement for the procedure that I preform was cut by 40% last year. I am not a Dr but I work for a practice. With the cuts and the down turn in the economy ( we have not refused to see any patient because he lost his insurance and cannot pay) I have not see a salary increase in since 08. I pay an increase in insurance premiums just like every one else. There are other factors that go in to a lousy system, but it is what it is.
j dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2011, 17:24   #33

Boat: Lagoon 440

The best i've found for us is on this site:- http://www.1cover.com.au/member/welcome.html This is a travel company in Australia and like i said $1600 odd covers us both for twelve months. Hard to beat!
Old 17-11-2011, 17:26   #34

Boat: Neptunian 33 - Syren
First hand experience as I broke my fibula and tibia last month and have no health insurance here in the US. Currently my bills are 12k. I still have the cast on...that comes off in 2 weeks and hopefully everything will be healed.
7k hospital
2k anesthesiologist
The rest for radiologist, orthopedic surgeon (plate and 13 screws), ER visit, prescriptions, attending ER doc. Yes, you get billed separately by everyone who looked at you.
I hope to do PT on my own as I can't pay for a professional.
saltysiren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2011, 17:39   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltysiren View Post
First hand experience as I broke my fibula and tibia last month and have no health insurance here in the US. Currently my bills are 12k. I still have the cast on...that comes off in 2 weeks and hopefully everything will be healed.
7k hospital
2k anesthesiologist
The rest for radiologist, orthopedic surgeon (plate and 13 screws), ER visit, prescriptions, attending ER doc. Yes, you get billed separately by everyone who looked at you.
I hope to do PT on my own as I can't pay for a professional.
That's not good, i'm picking up the Cat at Edgewater Maryland in early december i'll make sure my cover starts before i leave Australia, i not want an injury throw a financial spanner in the works,.
Take care.... Cheers
Old 17-11-2011, 17:42   #36
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by j dragon
........ There are other factors that go in to a lousy system, but it is what it is.

Well change it then. "all that is required for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing " etc etc

Dave
Old 17-11-2011, 17:46   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagoon4us
The best i've found for us is on this site:- http://www.1cover.com.au/member/welcome.html This is a travel company in Australia and like i said $1600 odd covers us both for twelve months. Hard to beat!
Another issue .
Will hospitals accept this insurance? Or do you pay and then claim?
AllezCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2011, 17:52   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllezCat View Post
Another issue .
Will hospitals accept this insurance? Or do you pay and then claim?
Still got to read all the fine print etc its worldwide cover so prob every country is treated differently, i had a friends son who dived into a shallow pool in Turkey breaking his back the insurance covered all medical transport repatriation and on going care the parents did not have to pay over than their own personal flights. A bit of reading will tell. Cheers
Old 17-11-2011, 17:58   #39

Boat: Island Packet 380

How about some practical advise gogoatingnow. You see how Obama's health care law is working out. Like it or not the only way is a single payer system like GB, Canada, ect. But to get there you have to pay for it, not borrow from China. That means taxes, not from the rich but from all of us. And more goverment control over delivery of care (death panels). I would love to stay but I have just been called to the er. I also do part time to make ends meet.
j dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2011, 18:03   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by j dragon View Post
How about some practical advise gogoatingnow. You see how Obama's health care law is working out. Like it or not the only way is a single payer system like GB, Canada, ect. But to get there you have to pay for it, not borrow from China. That means taxes, not from the rich but from all of us. And more goverment control over delivery of care (death panels). I would love to stay but I have just been called to the er. I also do part time to make ends meet.
Australia went through this 20 odd years ago it's called THE HARD YARDS not an easy task now for you guys your political system from an outsiders standpoint appears to be handcuffed. Not easy...........
Old 17-11-2011, 18:05   #41

Boat: Westerly Centaur

Quote:
I think I'd rather have my taxes spent on medicines rather than bombs....Yer paying em however they get spent.....just sayin'
Hillbillylad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2011, 18:28   #42

Worth considering if you travel to the US:
- the only thing 'free' from the ER is is basic care to sustain life, not to fix you up.
- the quality of care very often depends on your age. There is less impetus for US doctors to provide quality care for those 60+ years of age. This is because malpractice suit claims will be based on potential earnings loss and for someone who is retired, or near retirement, the potential profit is not worth the lawyer's time and they will not take the case. As a consequence, doctors often ignore these patients and they die before their time. It is a sad fact that this has happened to friends and family on a number of occasions. The best insurance of an older person in hospital is a friend or family member who makes enquiries of the hospital staff daily.
RigelKent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2011, 19:01   #43
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by j dragon
No US taxation merely favours the rich. Government control of health may not be perfect but it's far better then corporate controlled healthcare.

As for the Death panels don't make me laugh. I've no comment on Obamacare. I beleive it's a mark of a civilised society that cares for it's sick and elderly and educates it children, irrespective of income.

Sorry if we've strayed. But I was asked what I would do. I'd raise taxes and cut military spending and use the money on some form of universal healthcare. If after that you what as the man from Oz said a saucer under your cup then insurance has a role.

Yea healthcare is expensive and national schemes can be imperfect and inefficient. But I suspect if a reasonable proportion of Americans experienced they'd never go back. Despite all it's issues the Brits would never dump the NHS nor any EU country undo it's state healthcare system.

So why does the US remain out of step with almost all the developed world. It's not as if it couldn't be afforded.

Dave
Old 17-11-2011, 19:16   #44
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
There are a number or reasons for the high cost of health care in the US. Cost shifting is one of the biggest. If a procedure cost 1000 to provide, but medicare only pays 500, and medicade only pays 200, then the difference is shifted to those who will pay ie insurance co. and private pay. Now instead of a procedure costing 1000 it now cost 1800 to the rest of us. I have worked in heath care for 35 years and each year the cost of indengent care ( remember no one can be turned away from an er) and the cuts is mecicade by the cash strapped states have pushed up the sticker price of procedures. The rembursement for the procedure that I preform was cut by 40% last year. I am not a Dr but I work for a practice. With the cuts and the down turn in the economy ( we have not refused to see any patient because he lost his insurance and cannot pay) I have not see a salary increase in since 08. I pay an increase in insurance premiums just like every one else. There are other factors that go in to a lousy system, but it is what it is.
For me, the bottom line is that we're too dumb to figure out a solution.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2011, 19:27   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
For me, the bottom line is that we're too dumb to figure out a solution.
Not too dumb. Simply too busy being worried about what we've been led to believe is the "other side" win, that any common sense answers get torpedoed for purely partisan reasons - just as the greedy corporations desire. they've got Americans too busy hating reds and blues that they're too distracted to do anything constructive for the common good

Too many folks are treating our political arena like a football game and only care about their side winning. It's ridiculous.
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail. - (George Carlin)
Aussiesuede is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
health care