Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Health, Safety & Related Gear
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-12-2013, 12:46   #1

Health and Life insurance in USVI and while cruising

My husband and I live aboard our sailboat in the USVI, and are having a really hard time finding any health insurance. I have spent countless days online researching and made tons of phone calls to figure out how to obtain coverage, to no avail.

The USVI government opted out of Obama Care, all decent international health care providers will not cover someone living in the USVI, and all US based individual health care providers will not cover anyone living in the USVI either! I also tried contacting DAN (Diver's Alert Network), but they won't cover us either because we live in the us virgin islands.

We've considered using my dad's state-side address as our permanent address, but is that legal? I know how insurance companies are, trying to find any excuse to avoid paying, and surely they'd find out that we don't really live at that address. I'm also wondering if my current US based life insurance policy is just a waste of money, since they also may refuse to pay out if they find out we are living abroad. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
tibu720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2014, 11:04   #2

Boat: ex: 44' steel cutter currently a 9' avon!
Re: Health and Life insurance in USVI and while cruising

I may have a company that will work. I'm an intl. insurance broker based here in San Diego and a sailor. I'm new to this site, but not to helping people get intl. insurance. The company I'm thinking of is pricey, but can be used in and out of USA. Let me make a few calls. pm me your ages and I can get you a quote.
sail2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2014, 11:18   #3

Boat: ex: 44' steel cutter currently a 9' avon!
Re: Health and Life insurance in USVI and while cruising

Wow, you're not kidding! I've got a call into two companies, but already the quote engine on one kicked me out when I put in your zip code. I've specifically asked them if there is any kind of work around. How often do you sail from place to place?
sail2fish is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising, health, insurance, usvi