Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: Have you, personally ever pulled a gun to protect your boat in a foreign port?
yes 6 9.52%
no 57 90.48%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-06-2006, 07:20   #1

Have you ever...

Have you ever had to pull a gun to defend your self or boat?

Please note I'm not asking if you've heard of someone having to do it, I'm asking have YOU ever had to pull a gun to protect your boat.

If so please tell us where and when, and what the circumstances were.
Old 05-07-2006, 05:33   #2

Afraid to answer?

I'm sure there are more active members on the board than this. Has anyone on the board actually pulled a firearm to protect their boat?
Old 05-07-2006, 06:25   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
I’m not at all surprised at the non-response to your query. You are seeking active members, of which we have many, who have also "pulled a gun" (of which we may have few to none).
I don’t want to hijack your thread, nor start a flame-war; but ...
Something on the order of 50-60% of “newbie” cruisers claim to be armed.
Something on the order of 5-10% of “experienced” (at least a year or two) cruisers admit to being armed.
The reasons:
1. Firearms are a major hassle
see: “Firearms Regulations by Country” at http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ead.php?t=1641
2. Firearms aren’t perceived as necessary (no-one has occasion to use them)

Old 05-07-2006, 06:53   #4

pirate Exactly my point

That's kind of what I'm trying to point out. There are lots of people who say they wouldn't leave port without a gun. Everybodies heard the stories of pirates and midnight boarders, and I even know of one person who's boat was stolen while they were scuba diving. Other than 2 stories in magazines telling of Pirates in the Gulf of Oman, and off the coast of South America, I haven't heard of guns helping anyone. Both of those stories could have been avoided by staying out of areas known for attacks.

If I travelled the northwest coast of Canada I might carry a rifle because it's recommended by the Canadian government in case of bears. Other than that, I intend to stay out of areas where sailors are attacked, or to pass through in the company of enough boats to be a deterent to would be attackers. Carrying a gun is too much of a hassle, too unlikely to provide any help, and could be a much more of a problem if it's actually used. Killing someone over seas "in self defense" might still net you a nice long jail term. It's just not worth the risk, especially considering the small chance of any return.

It's like carrying a jack hammer on the boat because you might find a place where a concrete bridge collapsed. Why bother.
Old 05-07-2006, 20:48   #5

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40 / Hatteras 48
The desire to carry a firearm is inversely proportional to the amount of travel an individual has experienced...
Old 06-07-2006, 03:26   #6

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
I'd agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by muskoka
The desire to carry a firearm is inversely proportional to the amount of travel an individual has experienced...
Nicely put

JOHN
Old 18-12-2006, 13:40   #7
cruiser

Boat: Searching for a Cape Dory 28 or 30
Send a message via AIM to kydivemaster Send a message via Yahoo to kydivemaster
Pulled it and was willing to use it in Ixtapa Mexico 2000

Was at anchor at 3 am or so when a jet skier and small boat came aside. The pilot of the small boat was handling a shotgun. I got myself and my .40 pistol to the ready and made my way to the electric panel hit the spreader lights and came to bare on the small boat. The guy I guess knowing the pistol had better range and harder hit that them single barreled shotgun turned away the skier followed close behind. Never heard a peep after that night. I know without the pistol and wit I would have been at least boatless in mexico if not dead.

Keith
Old 18-12-2006, 13:47   #8
cruiser

Never have pulled a gun, never expect to pull a gun and have never even heard of anyone having to use them.

I might add that many boats I've worked on were armed with a pretty large cache of weapons.

I'm actually looking forward to doing some hunting with mine. It's a weapon if need be, but it's primarily for hunting food.
Old 18-12-2006, 14:13   #9
cruiser

Boat: Searching for a Cape Dory 28 or 30
Send a message via AIM to kydivemaster Send a message via Yahoo to kydivemaster
You should have been in southern Mexico when the Cartel was making it's move for control over Michoacon ....It's was a time when AK's were $4000 on the street and everyone had one....
Old 19-12-2006, 02:08   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Keith:
Perhaps the locals, seeing your Starts & Stripes flying and suspecting your geniality, feared that you might be armed & dangerous, and displayed their weapon to discourage any paranoid reaction you may inflict upon their benign enjoyment of their national waters.
Then again, maybe not ...

Old 19-12-2006, 03:28   #11

Probably the same percentage that have needed to use their epirb.
Old 19-12-2006, 22:23   #12

Boat: Catalina 38 "Sparky"
This always comes up and most of the people who say they have guns are full of it. You get caught with a weapon in ports outside the USA and your butt is in a sling. I carry a stainless 300 win mag in the USA. I have only had one time in many years cruising around the states some guys tried to slip up on me while I was alone at anchor. My old rottie heard them and woke me so I spotlighted them and turned on every light they left in a hurry in a fast little Action Craft,I knew that because they got that close. Lots of lights and even fire off a flare in the air to draw attention,but no guns out of this country. Life time member of the NRA and 7 years 9 months USMC. Just not a good idea.
Old 20-12-2006, 07:17   #13
cruiser

It's certainly not a good idea to bring them outside the USA. However, I can personally attest to the fact that most megayachts are armed - well armed. I have worked on a few and know crew on them as well. This has nothing to do with the whole guns debate (tired as it is), but I would like to point out that the super-rich do get away with carrying an aresenal around with them as they tour the world. Honestly, the yachts I worked on never did declare the weapons. They were hidding on the yacht in various places that even a customs guy wouldn't find them.
Old 20-12-2006, 09:30   #14

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40 / Hatteras 48
I think most places in the world we'd all like to visit require nothing more than common sense and prudence to make the trip. I find the whole gun debate to be predominantly a domestic USA conundrum in respect of attitudes towards guns.

I've been shooting since I was about 12 years old. And accurately. But there's no way I ever want to carry a gun for defence.

My defence is doing my due diligence about where I visit. And making sensible precautions about securing our belongings. And acknowledging that sometimes things get stolen.

Travelling when you're in your 20's with a backpack is wonderful. With the mental equivilant of 'good seamanship' you can visit most of the world with the same lack of baggage whether you're sailing or not. And in the same relative safety.

If you're really (and I mean really in the statistical sense) concerned about your safety on your travels (travails) - I would strongly suggest you focus your angst on 3rd world transportation. You're far more likely to have your clogs popped on the bus ride to the tourist attraction than by Bugis men pirates!

Cheers & Merry Christmas
Old 20-12-2006, 09:54   #15
cruiser

Very true, Muskoka.
Closed Thread