Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 07-08-2013, 17:21   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Re: Handling Garbage Underway

having a rib hanging on davits on the back of the boat is where our plastic trash goes,every thing else is deep sixed.

with kid#1 on a 36 ft boat we had 75 cloth nappies that got towed behind the boat then rinsed in fresh,cheap, effective.

kid#2 on a 63 ft boat got diapers,but space was not really a problem for trash

,potty training and having a toilet seat adaptor for small bottoms helped a lot to reduce diaper usage,as did letting them run around naked......cockpit drains are good for that as well......number 2's you just gotta watch out for the signs!

Old 07-08-2013, 17:37   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: a sailing boat

We unpack pre-departure as much as we can. We dispose of metal, glass and organic underway. Whatever remains we compact, store, and dispose of on landfall (paper/plastics/pads/etc.).

I think we collect about a gallon of rubbish every 2 weeks or so.

b.

Old 07-08-2013, 17:57   #18

Boat: Krogen 58' Xiao Xiu
Send a message via MSN to JayCall

Most plastic shrinks when it is heated. If you cut it in small pieces as Ann does, then heat a pile of it, it will end up as a small, hard chunk of plastic. To be disposed of when you get to shore.
Old 07-08-2013, 19:20   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Handling garbage underway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor_Hutch View Post
Eggsactly! Just dip em over the side a couple times, and hang em up ... Good as new!

Sad to say ... I'm old enough to actually have done that ...
Putting a saltwater caked diaper on a 1 year old?

Disposables for us. It sucks but with two kids and a boat in developing / third world nations you have to make some choices about just how much work you want to be doing. And we do a lot of work.
Old 07-08-2013, 19:31   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
Putting a saltwater caked diaper on a 1 year old?

Disposables for us. It sucks but with two kids and a boat in developing / third world nations you have to make some choices about just how much work you want to be doing. And we do a lot of work.
jeeze! nearly spat me dummy!

on our first boat we hand steered 18000 miles before we got a windvane,and did 2-3 sextant sights a day in between changing and washing nappies rinsed in fresh water.........work! lol this generation dosent know the meaning of the word
Old 07-08-2013, 20:04   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
jeeze! nearly spat me dummy!

on our first boat we hand steered 18000 miles before we got a windvane,and did 2-3 sextant sights a day in between changing and washing nappies rinsed in fresh water.........work! lol this generation dosent know the meaning of the word
If you want to start measuring workload, I can start discussing how I still have a ~20 hour a week job that I need to do no matter how beautiful and iconic the setting!
Old 07-08-2013, 20:11   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
No, you just let someone else do it.
And plants BREATHE CO2.
By not burning, you are depriving them of the breath of life.
Old 07-08-2013, 20:27   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
If you want to start measuring workload, I can start discussing how I still have a ~20 hour a week job that I need to do no matter how beautiful and iconic the setting!
hey what ever floats your boat!

just don't lose sight of the reasons that put you there in the first place!

raising kids is hard work even when not on a boat!

one thing i have found in life....and living on a boat is having economy.

by economy i dont mean how much you spend.

the economy i am referring to is how to make every action one makes have the maximum effect for the minimum effort,think about everything you intend to do,plan, then execute.

case in point,do kids really need diapers at all? may be at night but otherwise let them run free a bucket of salt water in the cockpit costs nothing!

peace love and joy !
Old 07-08-2013, 20:42   #24
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I hear you on all that and a lot of those decisions get made for us because some things simply aren't available for us to use. I think if we were to put our "baby stuff" on the ground we'd have more in common with an African tribe than a modern western family. And mostly that's because of the boat and being in bunga-bunga-ville. No room to haul stuff, no place to get stuff, and the stuff you can get usually sucks.

Truth be told the "good" baby stuff you can buy in a western country also sucks, but it sucks for different reasons.
Old 10-08-2013, 12:51   #25

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
hey what ever floats your boat!

just don't lose sight of the reasons that put you there in the first place!

raising kids is hard work even when not on a boat!

one thing i have found in life....and living on a boat is having economy.

by economy i dont mean how much you spend.

the economy i am referring to is how to make every action one makes have the maximum effect for the minimum effort,think about everything you intend to do,plan, then execute.

case in point,do kids really need diapers at all? may be at night but otherwise let them run free a bucket of salt water in the cockpit costs nothing!

peace love and joy !
Atoll, your discussion of "economy" speaks of much experience and wisdom. So often today, sailors equate boat management issues and/or life with how much money it takes to solve the problem. The concept of well reasoned thought, economy, creativity and resourcefulness are measured with dollar signs. We see it even in the way that those anticipating a voyage equip their boats where every conceivable creature comfort and electronic navigational tool must be present before one loosens their lines and departs. Even those with some skills believe that the voyage cannot be successful or safe without creating a electronic mini condo space pod that propels them effortlessly to the next planet. I have encountered these hapless souls throughout the Caribbean waylayed from marina to marina where they are fixing their life support systems and bemoaning their ill fortune as the gaggle they were traveling with move down the road and a new wave of voyagers come and depart while they are still waiting for the equipment they cannot possibly live without. Much of the useless paraphernalia is a offering to the Golden Goddess who has reluctantly become his first mate while the other necessary items are a mask to the Captain's subliminal insecurity of the coming passage. For me, sailing represents an escape from these things and a return to a simpler more "economical" way of life where a well found boat is one that is engineered and maintained well with just enough creature comforts to separate it from an Outward Bound adventure and the Captain's skills of navigation and seamanship are practiced in a time honored way. "Honey . . . can you make a few more Margaritas in the blender? The pizza's done in the microwave!" I guess that's why I drink martinis. Good luck, good sailing and may your life be economical.
Old 10-08-2013, 13:10   #26
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

having a sealed compartment for the old trash would be nice on many boats. But offshore passage... as mentioned,,, the plastic should be all you carry along..

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: