Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 28-08-2008, 11:49   #61

gout.........ugh....

Aloha......I've suffered from this problem for more than 25 years....several times a year. First time I recall when I was on an assignment overseas in '83. Lasted several days,wanted to have my led amputated! Was not properly diagnosed as gout by AF medical folks. Been in various treatments, including "coch" for many years since the condition was properly diagnosed by a Coast Guard PA in mid-90's

I found some of the responses very interesting.......tomatoes? Salad!. Wow...not that I can remember, but maybe you're on to something...I'll be watching. In fact, going to a VA (real MD) again tomorrow for a check-up. Might mention that.

Now...I wanted to pass on the name of a book that was given to me about 6-7 years ago by a RN in Seattle area....The Gout Hater's Cookbook"-by Jodi Schneiter...3rd Ed. ISBN 1-888141-71-9. Pages 6-7-8 list foods ranked from lower to higest in Purines. I compared some of the responses on the Forum with the book and found inconsistiencies. Not a surprise though....I've found many of the foods (including beer, which I like in moderation) not to have a great effect on gout attacks...even chili..not that I know!Tomato's and salad show up on the list of foods lower in purines........

Conclusion....I'm convinced that few people in the medical profession really know much about this problem affects various people. One just has to stumble thru life toward the "6' trench" and figure out for themselves what does.....and dosen't cause a flare up.......I found this fforum VERY informative and helpful. pj

Old 28-08-2008, 12:22   #62
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Privilege 37
There is an echo in here tonight!

Trying to be carefull in selection of food for purine values is a real nightmare when you are already Dairy and Gluten intolerant.

Old 29-08-2008, 11:52   #63

Gout

Talbot.......Oh God....one of my most favorite places...Oslo. Been there many times, one of them on the U.S. Coast Guard Cutter Northwind...an Icebreaker....1965...on out way to Newcastle England to "install" a new shaft and screw after some serious problems in the Ice in the Kara Sea North of what was then, the Soviet Union. Love that place (Oslo and the many other parts of the country so much).

You may be onto something........I am also lactose intolerant. (we call it an Asian stomach). By the way, this is NOT a "put down" of any sort. As many know, many peoples in Asia suffer from being lactose intolorant....anyway....if I have even one peice of sharp cheddar cheese (which I love),or God help, a spoonful of milk or Ice Cream, it takes only nanoseconds before I have to head to the "crutch locker" and the bottle of "coch".

And something else, I wonder if anyone else has ever done a study of how much time elapses from intake of a high purine or other suspected food/drink until onset of a flareup?

aloha pj
Old 29-08-2008, 12:12   #64
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Whilst I am totally unable to consume cows produce, I have absolutely no problem with Goat or sheeps milk produce or even buffalo.

Cheese made from goat's milk or sheep's is great, and just about any type that you are used to having in cows milk is available in UK (not in Norway!) You can get some in Norway. The hardest problem is getting a cheese that you can use for cooking. The best for that is buffalo mozzarella, and no its not available here either.

In UK you can get good goats milk from most supermarkets, goats cream and butter from the better ones, and yoghurt using both goat's and sheep's milk.

I really indulge myself when I go back to UK on a visit!!!
Old 23-02-2010, 02:49   #65
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
I realize this is an old thread but thought I might have some info of value.

A very few people can have a bad reaction to alipurinol. It can cause a rash "fatal at times", that got my attention.

The doc had raised me to 400mg daily. After some weeks I started to get a rash on my legs. Took me a couple of weeks to tie the alipurinol to the rash. Took me a couple of months to get rid of the rash.

I now take 150mg tablets daily and seem to have no adverse effects.

Also, a couple of years ago I got a gout attack in my ankle (my usual place) day one of a 6 week working vacation. I decided to "work through it", which included a couple of days digging. Bad idea. I now some constant discomfort, if you can call it that, in the ankle. Not debilitating, but I wish it was not there.
Old 23-02-2010, 03:46   #66
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I take 300mg each day of allopurinal as well. I also try to ensure that I do not de-hydrate.

Unfortunately the damage done by the gout to my big toe joint over the years before starting the evryday preventative means that I suffer from arthritis -especialy in cold and damp conditions

Of course I dont get too much of that in Stavanger

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: