Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-09-2013, 20:59   #1
Registered User
 
montenido's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Lying La Paz, BCS
Boat: 1979 Marshall Californian 42 LRC
Posts: 339
Images: 4
Got my new EPIRB Today!

Hi all,

As my cast off date approaches, I am working hard to wrap up loose ends. One of them was wrapped up today with the arrival and registering of my new EPIRB. I ended up going with an ACR Globalfix Pro with GPS. Got a pretty good deal from Hodges Marine. I will mount it tomorrow before heading out for a couple of days of sailing. My life raft will arrive shortly, another thing to check off the list .

Hopefully, neither one will get any use.

Cheers, Bill
__________________

__________________
M/V Ansedonia
'91 Californian 52 CPMY
Channel Islands, CA
montenido is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 21:13   #2
Registered User
 
Viking Sailor's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: San Francisco Bay
Boat: Fantasia 35 - s/v Feeling Good
Posts: 1,074
Re: Got my new EPIRB Today!

Hi Bill,

I suggest you test the EPIRB soonest. My Globalfix failed its self test right out of the box.

Best of wishes on your cruise,

Paul
__________________

__________________
Viking Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 22:15   #3
Long Range Cruiser
 
MarkJ's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Posts: 12,828
Images: 25
Re: Got my new EPIRB Today!

I sugest you do not test it. Its takes a fair bit of battery power.

Mark
__________________
Notes on a Circumnavigation.
OurLifeAtSea.com

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 22:15   #4
Senior Cruiser
 
rebel heart's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 6,190
Images: 3
Re: Got my new EPIRB Today!

I have the same EPIRB as you. It, and a life raft and other offshore gear definitely gives the boat a feeling like you're ready to round Cape Horn. Well, the boat is ready anyway.
__________________
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 23:35   #5
Registered User
 
Viking Sailor's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: San Francisco Bay
Boat: Fantasia 35 - s/v Feeling Good
Posts: 1,074
Re: Got my new EPIRB Today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
I sugest you do not test it. Its takes a fair bit of battery power.

Mark
Hi Mark,

Joking...right? If not please be so kind as to expound upon your rationale for going to sea with an untested device. Especially considering that a brand new unit has been reported to have failed its self test.

If Bill should find that it does not work he will at least have time to get it repaired/replaced.

Best regards,

Paul
__________________
Viking Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 02:41   #6
Registered User
 
El Pinguino's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Punta Arenas ahorra
Boat: 39' Westerly Sealord
Posts: 3,959
Re: Got my new EPIRB Today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking Sailor View Post
Hi Mark,

Joking...right? If not please be so kind as to expound upon your rationale for going to sea with an untested device. Especially considering that a brand new unit has been reported to have failed its self test.

Ed Zakery
Designed to function in an emergency for how many hours?
Self test takes how many seconds.....?
And self test doen't actually transmit....
__________________
El Pinguino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 04:53   #7
Long Range Cruiser
 
MarkJ's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Posts: 12,828
Images: 25
Re: Got my new EPIRB Today!

Mine, also an ACR says the test, if done at all, must only be done once as it consumes too much battery power.

I don't have the paperwork with it still, and its about five years old, so things may be better, but mine is a PLB and I would like the best run time possible. As the penguins says, it doesn't transmit anyway, so what are you testing?

What do others think?
__________________
Notes on a Circumnavigation.
OurLifeAtSea.com

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 05:15   #8
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 175
Re: Got my new EPIRB Today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Mine, also an ACR says the test, if done at all, must only be done once as it consumes too much battery power.

I don't have the paperwork with it still, and its about five years old, so things may be better, but mine is a PLB and I would like the best run time possible. As the penguins says, it doesn't transmit anyway, so what are you testing?

What do others think?
My PLB and EPIRB are both GME. The manual for each recommends monthly test. The test is of the battery and internal circuitry, clearly it is not a test involving transmission. I believe the test involves minimal power draw.
Lee
__________________
banjoship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 05:28   #9
Registered User
 
psneeld's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Avalon, NJ
Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler
Posts: 1,834
Re: Got my new EPIRB Today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Mine, also an ACR says the test, if done at all, must only be done once as it consumes too much battery power.

I don't have the paperwork with it still, and its about five years old, so things may be better, but mine is a PLB and I would like the best run time possible. As the penguins says, it doesn't transmit anyway, so what are you testing?

What do others think?
From my 3 year old ACR PLB manual...

CAUTION: For PLB-350C models, the following test cannot be performed more than sixty times during the life of the battery pack. Once this GPS testing feature reaches 60 times, the feature will be disabled by internal software.

it actually say test once a month or a couple weeks before every cruise...60 times for the GPS testing which uses quite a bit more than just the normal self test...so once before a trip seems like it won't be a huge issue.

Especially for GPS PLBs/EPIRBs and coastal cruisers wo can expect quick rescue after the GPS posit is transmitted.
__________________
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 07:20   #10
Senior Cruiser
 
colemj's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Presently on US East Coast
Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Posts: 10,049
Images: 12
Re: Got my new EPIRB Today!

These units have two tests available to them - a simple battery and internal test that does not transmit or use much power at all and a GPS test that does transmit and uses a good deal of power.

Mark
__________________
www.svreach.com

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 07:29   #11
Certifiable Refitter/Senior Wannbe
 
Wotname's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: South of 43 S, Australia
Boat: Van DeStat Super Dogger 31'
Posts: 7,334
Re: Got my new EPIRB Today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
Ed Zakery
Designed to function in an emergency for how many hours?
Self test takes how many seconds.....?
And self test doen't actually transmit....
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Mine, also an ACR says the test, if done at all, must only be done once as it consumes too much battery power.

I don't have the paperwork with it still, and its about five years old, so things may be better, but mine is a PLB and I would like the best run time possible. As the penguins says, it doesn't transmit anyway, so what are you testing?

What do others think?
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjoship View Post
My PLB and EPIRB are both GME. The manual for each recommends monthly test. The test is of the battery and internal circuitry, clearly it is not a test involving transmission. I believe the test involves minimal power draw.
Lee
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
From my 3 year old ACR PLB manual...

CAUTION: For PLB-350C models, the following test cannot be performed more than sixty times during the life of the battery pack. Once this GPS testing feature reaches 60 times, the feature will be disabled by internal software.

it actually say test once a month or a couple weeks before every cruise...60 times for the GPS testing which uses quite a bit more than just the normal self test...so once before a trip seems like it won't be a huge issue.

Especially for GPS PLBs/EPIRBs and coastal cruisers wo can expect quick rescue after the GPS posit is transmitted.
OK, just for the record, the beacon does transmit during a self test.
This is a requirement to comply with COSPAS/SARSAT design.

Both transmitters (406 & 121.5) transmit during self test.
The 406 transmitter sends one transmission of approximately 500 milliseconds duration. The first transmission of any beacon is coded as a test transmission and does not activate a SAR response. Subsequent transmissions (about every 50 seconds) are then genuine emergency transmissions.

Most (but maybe not all) beacons consider a self test to use 1 minute of battery life. Beacons should fail a self test if a cumulative total of one hour of battery life has been consumed.

This is why the ACR (and most other) beacons suggest to keep testing to a reasonable minimum.
__________________
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 08:07   #12
Long Range Cruiser
 
MarkJ's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Posts: 12,828
Images: 25
Re: Got my new EPIRB Today!

OK I trucked through all my instrustion books!



I re read the page before and it does say you can do the other test monthly, so I stand corrected on that.

So read your instruction books and re read them sometimes!
__________________
Notes on a Circumnavigation.
OurLifeAtSea.com

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 11:32   #13
Registered User
 
Viking Sailor's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: San Francisco Bay
Boat: Fantasia 35 - s/v Feeling Good
Posts: 1,074
Re: Got my new EPIRB Today!

ARC Globalfix EPIRB replacement lithium batteries. Three required ($8.89 ea call and ask for wire leads):

Saft LO 26 SX Lithium Battery | SEPBatteries.com

__________________

__________________
Viking Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
epirb

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:08.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.