Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-09-2011, 18:50   #46
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: Ginger for Seasickness

i have never been seasick but i have on occasion need for anti nauseants--- ginger snaps rock!!!
they go well with cherry garcia ice cream for emergency therapy for certain ailments.
ok gotcha--was just becoming used in lost angels when i was exiting....
nausea is different from seasick. seasick can be an inner ear thing or a psychological thing or any kind of thing. each cause has a different cure. one will not cure all.

and here ye thunk it is only nausea... . sorry to disappoint.....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 18:56   #47
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

would not reccomend using raw ginger as a suppository,but every time i offered it to sea sick crew they made an amazing recovery before i could push it in......................
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 20:38   #48

Boat: Davidson 46, 14m LOA

The most effective seasickness remedy I've found is guaranteed to work 100% ..... go sit under a tree (preferably a coconut tree ... with a cocktail).
Old 12-09-2011, 21:58   #49

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by MermaidMuse View Post

A case in point is a 2003 study on guggul published in JAMA which then flowed into the popular media with the headlines that guggul is not effective for hypercholesterolemia (high cholesterol levels). Subsequent studies that were better designed have since shown guggul to be very effective in improving cholesterol levels.
I tried finding references to any subsequent studies that you indicated, and could not. Do you have links? I assume they are also peer reviewed?

Quote:
The concept of a "standard" dose for all patients is flawed because humans do not come in standard packages. If you give me ten individuals diagnosed with the same allopathic disease , I will show you that there are actually ten different pathologies involved and ten different sets of treatments needed (from an Ayurvedic point of view). There may be some overlap on some of the treatments, but ultimately each individual arrived at their list of similar symptoms in their own unique way and each will need to be rebalanced in their own way.
We're going to have to disagree on this. Without standard dosages, one has no idea of the active ingredients strength. If I was to accept your premise, the argument for standard dosages still is valid, as adjustmenst of the amount given can be made, just as it is in allopathic medicine.

You also don't address the issues of contraindications. Certain ailments there just are no effective traditional treatments for. Many patients may have multiple maladies. When allopathic treatments are required, how do you allow for possible contraindications? How do you know?

Quote:
One other area of communication challenge that you and I are having is that I speak of traditional medicine systems that are complete medical systems, that are taught in universities, that include hospitals, including trauma care and surgery, and you refer to these systems as "folk remedies".
And do they discuss the issue of many herbal preparations being tinctures that are alchohol based? Do they discuss what that may have on the efficacy of the primary ingredient? How do they know if scientific studies were not done on those preparations?

What soil was the plant raised in? What fertilizer was used? Was it stresseed by too much water or drought?

All of these effect the strength of any active ingredient. Without standardization, how do you know how much to give someone?

Lastly, tell me, with all the traditional medical practices out there, how come there is nothing that works with diabetes in a dependable, consistent and expected outcome?
Old 13-09-2011, 05:23   #50

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Quote:
My step-niece is an acupuncturist and since then has told me that if you put your ring finger at the bottom of the place where your hand bends, the pressure should go where the pointer finger is.
Where is that?
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2011, 05:27   #51

Boat: Catalina 42 Pacific cruise to Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
Nice! Green is good for seasickness. The Navy did tests and discovered color and light play a powerful role. They claim green is the best color to prevent seasickness. Seems counter-intuitive to me. And darkness is anathema, that's why boats with dark interiors create more Ralph...
Sounds good to me, I've got green everywhere! Green dodger, biimini and dinghy cover.....and down below.. bright interior with you guessed it green upholstery! A winning combination you think?

In all seriousness try Dencorub behind the ears and across the brow, it's a Norwegan Navy remedy for seasickness.....true and it works, but get it on early!!

Personally I like porridge oats before setting off as it tastes the same going down and coming up!!!
Jamel is offline   Reply With Quote