Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-01-2014, 21:55   #61

Boat: S&S Hughes 38
Re: Ghost ship possibly found

If that's a true image,it does look quite close.Hard to believe it wasn't followed up at the time.
highseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2014, 22:06   #62
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator
Re: Ghost ship possibly found (S/V NINA)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invictus69 View Post
Not sure if this is the most recent thread about S/V NINA disappearance, but I just came across this article in the UK's Daily Mail and wanted to share:

Danielle Wright vanished on 'ghost ship' and her parents believe she is still ALIVE | Mail Online
Now doesn't that look like the bastion of factual and truthful reporting then?

Coops.
Old 14-01-2014, 04:26   #63

Boat: none yet :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coops View Post

Coops.
I don't disagree, though that question may equally apply for all brainwashing mainstream media.
My intention was to share the article with no comment as obviously this topic got a lot of attention on this forum. As far as I am concerned, this case is closed, unfortunately.
Invictus69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2014, 05:24   #64
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Remember when you hear the sounds of hooves , think horses not zebras

Dave
Old 14-01-2014, 05:59   #65
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coops View Post

Coops.
I am sure the family providing an exclusive bikini shot played no part in deciding to run with the story..........
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2014, 07:46   #66
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post

I am sure the family providing an exclusive bikini shot played no part in deciding to run with the story..........
It's the daily mail , I mean we're lucky it's not a topless one or headlined " aliens took our daughter " etc. sadly I'm in a restaurant and looking through the rag now !!!

Dave
Old 14-01-2014, 08:17   #67
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

you know, you and i can both laugh and make jokes at the rags, but they are taken seriously by law enforcement and other agencies sometimes for reporting facts in a case. They have been proven right sometimes.

now, tell me more about the aliens.
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2014, 08:27   #68
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
you know, you and i can both laugh and make jokes at the rags, but they are taken seriously by law enforcement and other agencies sometimes for reporting facts in a case. They have been proven right sometimes.

now, tell me more about the aliens.
They are little green men from space, but that's not important right now ( appologies to monty python )

As for newspapers and the police seriously can I have whatever your sinking dude

Dave
Old 14-01-2014, 08:31   #69

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34

I received this update, I'm on the mail list from signing the petition on Change.org

January 11, 2014
"There has been a completely new evaluation about where the Nina is today! If she followed the tracks of at least 5 other boats, she is lying on one of the many reefs or islands off the coast of Australia. While many of these are patrolled, some remain very remote. She could also have gone North so the families encourage pilots, sailors and seasonal residents to be on the look out in remote harbors, along desolate shoreline, and of course, for a low lying boat without masts floating in the currents. Please ask your friends to sign the petition and keep the Nina fresh in the hearts and souls of the thousands of people who wish the crew of the Nina the best! Sailing Savoir Faire: Seven Facts About Schooner Nina Few People Know

This message was sent by Tim Paynter using the Change.org system. You received this email because you signed a petition started by Tim Paynter on Change.org: "7 Lives In Peril, Ask John Kerry To Help Save Nina Sailors, Your Signature Counts!." Change.org does not endorse contents of this message."
Old 14-01-2014, 08:37   #70

The link above is from Sailing Savoir Faire

Here it is if you cannot open the link.

"There seems to be a bit of confusion about the Nina search. For anyone new to the blog, 7 sailors, Matthew Wootton, Danielle Wright, Professor Evi Nemeth, Kyle Jackson and the Dyche family, David, Rosemary and David Jr. set sail across the Tasman Sea. They encountered a terrific storm and have not been heard from since. That was on June 4th, 2013, so it has been awhile. So why are people still looking, and what can you do to help?

Ricky and Robin Wright, news.com.au photo

FACT NOT FICTION #1 The search was started late. By the time the authorities got around to actually launching an aircraft to look for Nina, the potential search area had grown to a size slightly smaller than the Milky Way!

FACT NOT FICTION #2 Despite claims the search was "the largest search in the history of New Zealand", low probability areas were not searched at all and a few high probability areas were also not searched.

FACT NOT FICTION #3 Landlubbers and even most sailors can't envision how a crew could survive 7 months on a sailboat without provisions. Experienced sailors like John Glennie who have actually been in the area say long term survival is possible. Water is obtained from the frequent rain storms in the Tasman Sea. The boat becomes a floating reef attracting a large variety of fish.

FACT NOT FICTION #4 If the Nina were really afloat, they would have jury rigged sails and rescued themselves. Actually, the last text message indicates the sails had blown out. Fuel for the newly installed engine was in limited supply. To be sure, Captain Dyche and crew are doing all they can to save themselves, but if the weather was bad enough to blow out professionally made sails, and dis-mast the Nina, it has been bad enough to shred a jury rigged sail and mast system. They don't have many sail lofts in the middle of the Tasman, eventually even the most ingenious crew will run out of material for masts, rigging and jury built sails.

FACT NOT FICTION #5 If the Nina survived the storms she was in, surely she would have floated to shore by now. Maybe true, though some boats including an oyster barge last year have taken a year to float through the reverse circulating currents of the Tasman Sea. If the Nina has floated to land, the question, what land? There are thousands of small islands and reefs off the Australian coast. The families ask ALL SAILORS, PILOTS, FISHERMEN AND CRUISE SHIP PASSENGERS AND CREW to please be on the lookout for the Nina not only in the ocean, but while passing remote landfalls.

FACT NOT FICTION #6 The remnants of the Nina were found off of Fraser Island, Australia. A piece of the transom was seen with the letters "INA". No one really knows if the remnants of the Nina were seen off of Fraser Island because the person who spotted the board with the letters "INA" didn't fish it out of the water. Robin and Ricky Wright, parents of 19 year old crew member Danielle Wright, did a very thorough search of the area and found lots of flotsam, none of it appearing as the Nina. IF you spot anything that appears to be the remnant of a boat, please fish it out of where ever you found it. If you need assistance, the Australian Coast Guard or the New Zealand Coast Guard should be called, depending upon where you are.

View Larger Map

The letters "INA" fit nicely into the word "Marina". There are several marinas in the area. The family expresses their deepest thanks to the person who provided the tip, and ask each of us to help solve the mystery of the Nina. If you are not near the Tasman Sea, you can help by reminding people the search is still in progress; making a donation to help with the huge cost of search flights; if you are blessed with two hands, putting them together and asking for a higher power to reveal where the Nina is might prove to be the miracle that everyone is waiting for.

FACT NOT FICTION #7 While the families wish they had more support from the various RCC agencies, including a radio broadcast asking mariners to be watchful for a low lying craft in the water or evidence of a landing on remote islands, as well as support from the U.S. State Department and the NGA in satellite searches and rescue exercises while naval ships are in the area, the families remain extremely grateful for the efforts made by the various agencies.

Because the families have been hard at the search since the official search was suspended on July 5th, 2013, the families especially, Ricky and Robin Wright and Ian and Sue Wootton, are in the best position to know what tactics would be most helpful in determining the location of the missing schooner, Nina. The Texas Equusearch Lead Search coordinator Larry Slack, Exeutive Search Advisor, Ralph Baird and their team also have a keen sense for the next best steps in finding the Nina. However, neither the search team nor the families would ever want their requests for help to be misunderstood as a lack of gratitude for the efforts that have been made. In analyzing the search efforts to date, their sole purpose is to find the Nina by identifying missing pieces in the puzzle, which should not be confused with a lack of appreciation for what has been done or a hidden desire to find fault out of spite.

Posted 4 days ago by tim paynter
Labels: danielle wright digital globe evi nemeth fraser island ian wootton Larry Flack New Zealand Herald NGA nina ralph baird RCC ricky wright robin wright sue wootton Tim Paynter US State

0 Add a comment

Dynamic Views template. Powered by Blogger."
Old 14-01-2014, 09:58   #71
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Tim Paynter is that idiott thats been banned from here and every other sensible forum.

Please, folks, these people are dead. Its imbacillic to think otherwise.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2014, 10:35   #72

Mark, you are very sensible and high probability that you are totally right. But also consider that the search to find the vessel can help with closure. Finding remnants of the Nina or solid info on what happened to her, that she is no longer afloat, is worth all this. At least it is to the family and friends. Who are we to begrudge that?
Old 14-01-2014, 10:45   #73
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Girl View Post
Who are we to begrudge that?
The people who realise the millions of starving black children in Africa are more important.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2014, 14:18   #74
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
The people who realise the millions of starving black children in Africa are more important.

+1!! These people are already over 500k into this. It's really sad, but the same resources could have done so much more elsewhere.

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2014, 14:39   #75
Nearly an old salt

what strikes me as sad is that these types of lunatic false hopes, must make it very difficult for the families to get closure. I mean that "FACT NOT FICTION" is filled with nonsense and half-truths.

Its a great pity

dave