Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-01-2018, 17:49   #1

Boat: Leopard 43
Getting prescription drugs in the Caribbean

I am a live-aboard currently in the Caribbean. I take some prescription medicines and get a 90 day supply at a time. How do folks go about getting medicines when they are out of the country? I imagine that customs would stop a shipment if I tried to have it mailed to me. I suppose that I need to go to a local doctor with the bottles in hand and ask for a new prescription. Are there any islands that are more lenient and would refill a US prescription without a local doctor writing one? Also, are there any islands that are particularly expensive or inexpensive?
tedowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 18:10   #2

Boat: Carver,Cobia,Nacra, Columbia
Re: Getting prescription drugs in the Caribbean

I get scripts from India, no problem. As long as its not Rec MJ, you shouldnt have any issues with the package getting thru customs. And many pharmacies in the islands will re-fill if you have the bottle with the original script on it.
flyingfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 18:15   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedowens View Post
I am a live-aboard currently in the Caribbean. I take some prescription medicines and get a 90 day supply at a time. How do folks go about getting medicines when they are out of the country? I imagine that customs would stop a shipment if I tried to have it mailed to me. I suppose that I need to go to a local doctor with the bottles in hand and ask for a new prescription. Are there any islands that are more lenient and would refill a US prescription without a local doctor writing one? Also, are there any islands that are particularly expensive or inexpensive?
It varies from one country to another. In some, most of what we consider prescription in the USA are sold OTC (except for opiates). Othercountries have systems that are similar to the USA.

A written script from your US MD will work in most places, although it might take them a few days to confirm it.

To generalize a LOT (many exceptions!) brand name, on-patent medications are cheaper, and generics are similar in price, or sometimes even more expensive, compared to the USA.
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 18:44   #4

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

As posted, varies a LOT by country, where do you plan to visit?
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 09:14   #5

Boat: Bavaria Cruiser 40

Before you do anything illegal check with a local pharmacist as they will be able to help you without the need for a doctor's appointment.

Some countries have very strict rules as to what you can send via the postal service and prescription medicines is usually one of these. Also what might be perfectly legal with a prescription in country A might be illegal in country B with a seriously long jail term.

Ignorance is no excuse in the eyes of the law.
kas_1611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 09:33   #6

Boat: Boatless

I have bought my BP medications in 10 different countries usually for 20% of US cost. Often the pharmacist will just accept your old bottle as proof. In some cases you need a local prescription.

I just went to the hospital in the Marshal Islands...Check-up, chest film, prostate blood test and prescription cost me a total of $20.

I am on my way to Japan and they apparently need you to have a copy of a prescription for every medication on board.

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 09:33   #7

We go down for a 5 month stint. Before leaving, I request a "vacation amount" from the mail order prescription company.
Locquatious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 10:33   #8

Boat: Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedowens View Post
Where are you. As someone already said, it depends on the island. I've had meds shipped into St. Maarten with no problem using Interline. I've also had them filled.

Maje
Tom and Maje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 10:54   #9

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

You don't say where you're from. If US prescriptions I would have said PR but their recovery from the hurricane negates that. Failing that, perhaps the USVIs. The Caribbean is so big if you're down by Barbados, it's no use telling you PR. But if you're up north try the USVIs if you have US prescriptions. Good luck.
redhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 11:03   #10

I don't think you'll have a problem as long as you have your med information, i.e., proper name and mg amount, should suffice. I stopped at a pharmacy in St. Lucia and picked mine up, at a much cheaper price. Obviously, there could be an issue if you are trying to purchase opiates or similar addictive drugs.
P3sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 11:15   #11
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Getting prescription drugs in the Caribbean

I have been very surprised about some of the simple 'over the counter medicines' I buy in the EU/UK that require a prescription in the US and its dependencies.. for example in American Samoa I went to the chemist to get a tube of Zovirax for a sun/saliva induced sore that had developed between Panama and there resulting in painful cracks at the side of my mouth.. clears it up fast and pharmacy's recommend it.
"No can do.. go get a prescription" was the response.. ended up with some honey balm which was not much use.
Finally got it sorted in Oz.
Head for a pharmacy with your needs and see what happens.. it may just be what's considered an everyday drug..
Alternatively e-mail your doctor and get him to send an open prescription and reason for the drug.. diabetic whatever.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 11:29   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Getting prescription drugs in the Caribbean

What about the Western Caribbean, Mexico, Guatemala, Honduras etc?
Specifically Androgel
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 12:16   #13

I got some in Sint Maarten but I only needed some allipurinol to tie me over for a month. Went to a pharmacy with my current bottle, (us prescription), and they gave me a 30 day supply. Mot a narcotic though and keeps my gout in check
surb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 02:30   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Specifically Androgel
Could be problematic.
AndroGel® 1% and 1.62% are controlled substances, available by prescription ...
https://www.androgel.com/
https://www.drugs.com/pro/androgel.html

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 09:44   #15
cruiser

Boat: 1989 Jeanneau Voyage 11.20

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Specifically Androgel
Can you get a large amount before you leave? If you can get a prescription for natural testosterone, you can get a cream from Seaside Pharmacy on Glynn Avenue for as many months as your doctor will write one for you.
CaptsWife is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Caribbean, rib