Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-12-2013, 10:41   #31

Re: Gas explosion

A propane installation to ABYC standards has a lot of safety features.

The bottles should be in a locker that drains outside the boat, so any major leak including failure of the regulator (they do fail) will not endanger the boat.

The latest types of bottles and pigtails have even more features, including a flow limiter in the pigtail, and a float device in the bottle that prevents overfilling (a frequent and dangerous problem)

A recent study found that most propane accidents in the US involved overfilling, frequently because the customer complained that he was being ripped off, not getting a full bottle! Guess what, the air space is critical to safety.

You should also have a propane detector that shuts off a solenoid in the locker, in the event of a leak.

Finally you are supposed to regularly leak check the system.

The trouble is, if you use a portable camping stove, you don't have ANY of these safety features.
MarkSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2013, 11:45   #32

Boat: 1966 Buchan 37

"methane (propane)."

Methane and propane are two competely different gasses. Methane is lighter than air and the main ingredient found in "Natural Gas". (safer, but harder to get)
Propane is petrolium gas and is heavier than air.(less safe, abundant)
Old 13-12-2013, 12:15   #33

Boat: Westerly Centaur 26'
Send a message via AIM to bbowers2004 Send a message via MSN to bbowers2004 Send a message via Yahoo to bbowers2004 Send a message via Skype™ to bbowers2004

not to be insensitive, but are there any pictures of the actual explosions mentioned throughout this thread...
bbowers2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2013, 12:17   #34

Boat: Skookum 53'

You do want to place your propane detector as low as possible. I have witnessed two gas explosions in our harbour and the propane one, blew a guy clear across the harbour and hit the pilings on the dock which killed him, and the other guy was blown into the water and while he didn't die, I am sure he was in a great deal of pain for a long time. It also separated the hull and the deck.
Old 13-12-2013, 12:18   #35

Boat: Skookum 53'

I sure hope the guy comes out of this okay.
Old 13-12-2013, 14:53   #36
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Herreshoff Caribbean 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
Darwin Awards are for stupid people who remove themselves from the gene pool--either by dying, or by eliminating their ability to procreate. So, probably not.

Still, a good lesson that propane can be very dangerous when mis-handled.
well knowing this guy there is little chance of procreation
Old 13-12-2013, 15:21   #37
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Herreshoff Caribbean 50

OK some shaky photo,s as it was still very warm in the galley...
The offending stove..
The taped up galley drain ??????? To stop mosquitoes he told me
Inside after 30 mins still very hot and i noticed another gas tank in there so i stayed away..
all hatches blew out and portlights !!!!
I might add that the reason he was using the portable stove was because his main gas tank (also in the galley photo4) was empty... Stupidity with a capital S...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00012.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	302.6 KB
ID:	72074   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00010.jpg
Views:	323
Size:	158.2 KB
ID:	72075  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00007.jpg
Views:	420
Size:	199.5 KB
ID:	72076   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00003.jpg
Views:	329
Size:	133.8 KB
ID:	72077  

Old 13-12-2013, 16:42   #38

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony B View Post
Overall, it's pretty hard to create a propane explosion. One would actually have to work at it. Think about all of the RV's, boats and homes that use propane. Fire and explosions are extremely rare. I guess you would have to start with really poor equipment and then not be able to smell the gas leak. And when you do, not worry about it.
As long as he didn't blow his nuts off he wont get the Darwin Award this year, however, there is still almost a month left to this year. better luck next time.
I respectfully have to disagree with you on this one. Propane does not dissapate in the lower levels of a boat (bilge). If you have a leak and you have a head cold you may be in serious trouble just by using the starter on your engine.

RVs and homes are very different as well as are campsites. They get ventilation and have no bilges.
Old 13-12-2013, 18:23   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
On an IPAD so I don't know how to quote etc.
Yes propane and CO detectors are separate things, propane detector should be near the floor and at least my CO detector is actually part of a smoke detector. For VERY little money you can have a smoke detector, a propane detector and a CO detector. The smoke/CO detector can be had at Lowe's.
Why would you not want these on a boat? Is there something I don't understand?
It's possible that a Propane detector may have saved this guy a boat, possible disfigurement and a lot of pain and money.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2013, 18:39   #40

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34

The stove doesn't look singed and the can isn't damaged, and such a tiny can! Very wild. Thanks for sharing this.
Old 13-12-2013, 18:58   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Girl View Post
The stove doesn't look singed and the can isn't damaged, and such a tiny can! Very wild.
Same impression here ... how come? Meth lab exploded?
Richard_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2013, 19:44   #42
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmalina View Post
OK some shaky photo,s as it was still very warm in the galley...
The offending stove..
The taped up galley drain ??????? To stop mosquitoes he told me
Inside after 30 mins still very hot and i noticed another gas tank in there so i stayed away..
all hatches blew out and portlights !!!!
I might add that the reason he was using the portable stove was because his main gas tank (also in the galley photo4) was empty... Stupidity with a capital S...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Girl View Post
The stove doesn't look singed and the can isn't damaged, and such a tiny can! Very wild. Thanks for sharing this.
Is there any factual evidence yet that it was a propane / butane explosion?
Perhaps his main gas tank was empty because it had been leaking and the flame from the portable stove ignited the mixture or maybe as Richard W alludes to, it wasn't a propane / butane explosion at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn View Post
I respectfully have to disagree with you on this one. Propane does not dissapate in the lower levels of a boat (bilge). If you have a leak and you have a head cold you may be in serious trouble just by using the starter on your engine.

RVs and homes are very different as well as are campsites. They get ventilation and have no bilges.
My view is that propane is a rather difficult gas to ignite inadvertently , the LEL & UEL are relatively close together as GordMay posted "Propane’s approximate Explosive Range is between 2.1% (LEL) to 9.6% (UEL)".

Of course, it is possible for these concentrations to occur as we know from past explosions.

I don't have the LEL / UEL for petrol at hand but I recall it has a much wider explosive range and thus is a far greater danger than propane below decks.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2013, 01:00   #43

Boat: kuiper 32

My boat came with one of those camping stoves I tore it out and installed a kero stove.Makes me feel a whole lot better.
builder dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2013, 03:32   #44

Boat: Jeanneau 57

Um, depending upon the burn severity, 80% is going to be fatal; so I wouldn't be too harsh on the soon to be deceased neighbour of yours.

While sad, it makes me feel better about having an electric stovetop and oven and no gas in the main cabin. I lost a neighbour to a gas explosion years ago - about 40% burns but after a week in intensive care the body couldn't cope anymore so I've got a very healthy respect for the dangerous power resting in those gas lines and canisters.
Old 14-12-2013, 04:22   #45

Boat: Newport 28 & Robalo 20

Looking up info on https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BLEVE 's, I found a pretty good "all about propane" site, don't know if it was referenced on this thread before: Propane 101 - Promoting Propane Safety Through Understanding , it covers about everything one might want to know about it.

Stuff worries the he!! out of me, these types of explosions tend to be the most powerful ones commonly experienced (across the scale) outside of high explosives and nukes. Militarily the biggest non-nuke bangs are BLEVE devices (usually air-dropped bombs) like the "daisy cutters", et al.; and the various common sealed/closed gas tanks can achieve an impressive detonation under certain conditions.
Tx J is offline   Reply With Quote