Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-12-2012, 05:46   #1

Boat: Ohlson 38
Foreign Medical Program (veterans)

Does anyone have experience with the FMP? The VA website states that FMP only covers service connected conditions. I am 100% service connected, permanent and total. Does this mean all of my healthcare needs are covered?

I guess what I'm looking for is a clearer definition of what is considered service connected. In many hours of searching I haven't been able to find an answer.

From the VA website:
Overview

FMP Program (01-05)
FMP Fact Sheet for Providers and Office Managers (01-17)
Fact Sheet 01-17 in Foreign Languages
FMP Fact Sheet - How to File a Claim (01-30)
FMP Fact Sheet - HISA Program (02-05)
The Foreign Medical Program is a program we have established to provide health care benefits to U.S. veterans with VA-rated service-connected conditions who are residing or traveling abroad (Philippines excluded). Under FMP, we (the VA) assume payment responsibility for certain necessary medical services associated with the treatment of those service-connected conditions.

This information we have posted on this site, and to which we have created links, like the fact sheets above, are designed for veterans with VA-rated service-connected conditions who are planning to move or travel abroad and addresses the procedures for obtaining health care services for service-connected conditions while in a foreign country and how to file a claim for VA payment or reimbursement.

With the exception of medical services received in Philippines, all foreign provided services are under the jurisdiction our Foreign Medical Program (FMP) Office in Denver, Colorado.

The FMP Office is responsible for all aspects of the program including application processing, verification of eligibility, authorization of benefits, and payment of claims. If you are a veteran living or traveling outside the United States and have questions about other VA benefits such as compensation and pension exams and disability ratings you should direct those questions to your servicing VA regional office (see Assistance with Other VA Issues at bottom for more information). Or you can access the VBA’s Foreign Services Web site here: http://www.vba.va.gov/bln/21/foreign/index.htm

Services provided in the Philippines are under separate jurisdictions as indicated below.
virginia boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 11:37   #2

Boat: Ohlson 38
Re: Foreign Medical Program (veterans)

Bump.

I've heard that the FMP is a little known, little used service, but I'm still surprised that within a well traveled community like CF no one has any info.

If it works like I think it will (covers all my healthcare) I'll finally be able to choose my doctors and have timely appointments. I need an MRI to rule out liver cancer but because the wait is so long I've been scheduled for a dose of irradiated CT scan two weeks hence. If I were in Mexico, I could have had an MRI the very same day and a better Qualified Dr than the recently graduated Korean at the VA.

I've got to get away from this socialized medicine before it kills me.
virginia boy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
medical