Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-12-2015, 08:54   #1
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Food for thought..

http://www.pbo.co.uk/seamanship/is-it-safe-to-use-a-tether-25125#QddOoKD6wmEwmhDl.01
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 09:50   #2

Boat: Pearson 39-2 "Sea Story"
Re: Food for thought..

I thought that was why everyone says that they should keep you out of the water.
Old 01-12-2015, 09:55   #3

Is it safe to use a tether? Yes, of course, if it is a properly designed and executed system. If not...?

It's a lot like a seatbelt in a car. Wear it correctly and it dramatically increases your chances of survival in an accident. Wear it incorrectly (and way too many people do wear them incorrectly!) and it can do more harm than good. Same is true for most safety devices. GPS, AIS, RADAR... All the same. Use them correctly and they can increase your safety. Use them incorrectly and they can decrease it.

It's really pretty simple.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 11:42   #4

Boat: a sailing boat

Ask Tabarly.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 11:58   #5

Boat: Catalina 30

Seems like being clipped in along the centerline so you can't go over the rails seems like a better option. Otherwise I would hazard a guess that it is better not to be clipped in at all and just be sure to wear a plb with life vest.
Old 01-12-2015, 12:09   #6
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Food for thought..

Personally I do not use them.. being slim and still fairly nimble I rely on speed and one hand for me the other for the boat.. if going forward I use the leeward side so I lean into the handholds in a positive manner.. the other side is less secure to my instincts.. but that's just me..
Any work once on the foredeck I do sitting down.. at the mast there's lots to grab and with feet braced the stays make a good support..
Way I look at is.. if I go over solo, either way I'm screwed.. if I go over with at least one crew aboard and not clipped on.. my survival chances increase greatly.. IMOHO.. again.. just me..
However I do know that many do not share my 'casual' attitude..
so figured this may prove useful to them and help with awareness of possible flaws in their techniques.. not to start a pro-anti harness debate..
However you feel is Right..
Safe Sailing..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 01-12-2015, 12:32   #7

Boat: Comet 41s

You could have posted a working link:

Is it safe to use a tether? - Practical Boat Owner

That are old news. After that many theaters sold on the market become much shorter and some have two lengths that allow you to chose the right size for clipping on different places to be sure that you don't go overboard.

I use them at night except on flat water and during the day when the conditions are bad (over force 6 upwind) or whenever I feel I am safer attached to the boat. I never use theaters with a length that allows me to go overboard.

I have permanently rigged on the boat dinema lines to attach the theaters. They are white, thin, almost invisible and are as away from the side of the boat as possible.

Going forward with bad weather, for me, the best support you can have is making force, pulling with the hand the theater while going along the line.

There are some sailors that do not like harnesses or theaters, the more famous one was Tabarly that was known of making fun of them and the ones that used them. One night he went overboard not to be seen again.
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 12:41   #8
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Food for thought..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
You could have posted a working link:

Is it safe to use a tether? - Practical Boat Owner

That are old news. After that many theaters sold on the market become much shorter and some have two lengths that allow you to chose the right size for clipping on different places to be sure that you don't go overboard.

I use them at night except on flat water and during the day when the conditions are bad (over force 6 upwind) or whenever I feel I am safer attached to the boat. I never use theaters with a length that allows me to go overboard.

I have permanently rigged on the boat dinema lines to attach the theaters. They are white, thin, almost invisible and are as away from the side of the boat as possible.

Going forward with bad weather, for me, the best support you can have is making force, pulling with the hand the theater while going along the line.

There are some sailors that do not like harnesses or theaters, the more famous one was Tabarly that was known of making fun of them and the ones that used them. One night he went overboard not to be seen again.
My apologies for the inconvenience good Sir.. seems my Samsung was not up to the job..
The Art of Walking is also old news.. but we keep teaching new kids all the same..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 01-12-2015, 14:02   #9

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
...The Art of Walking is also old news.. but we keep teaching new kids all the same...
I have learned again, now with my brand new hip prosthesis
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 14:34   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

I think the takeaway from that whole article is:

Quote:
"Had the skipper used one of the short 800mm tethers… he would not have gone overboard.
The key point, borne out by our tests, is that a tether should prevent you from falling overboard at all. A short one is far more likely to do this – and improves the experience a little should you end up in the water. Use the shortest tether available that still lets you move around in safety. If using a longer line, consider clipping on near the boat’s centreline, especially when working in the cockpit, to make it physically impossible to fall overboard."
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
food