Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-11-2009, 22:03   #106

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'
Hit a container years ago and I put on hell of a dent in the stem of the boat. 1 1/2" solid steel stem.
Still would not want to hit a container with a glancing blow, the corner supports for transporting on a chassis are about the size of a hollow 4x4 timber wuth about 5/16 thicks walls.
26 ton container would still slice through the thin skin of a steel sailboat hull.
Shrimp boat down from where I lived hit a container and had a 3' gash thru the hull just above the waterline, slung outriggers over the side with net hanging, put a crewman over the side with a welder and repaired it and went on fishing...

'
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2009, 15:36   #107

Boat: sold our IP, now motoring along on the dark side in a Heritage East Sundeck 36
Have been following this thread and today just had to share this perfect combination of thread content and targeted advertising which magically appeared...

Pau Hana Daz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2009, 17:03   #108
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWJensen View Post
Have been following this thread and today just had to share this perfect combination of thread content and targeted advertising which magically appeared...
Thats funny!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2009, 09:20   #109
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2
another one?

Check this out. Just reported today:

Jacques Vabre 2009 Race Official website
Old 16-11-2009, 10:47   #110

Maybe they hit a container full of Hugo Boss clothing.
jackmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2009, 10:52   #111
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmeister View Post
Maybe they hit a container full of Hugo Boss clothing.
More likely a container of asian-made knockoffs. Either way, no great loss!
Old 29-11-2009, 13:50   #112

Boat: Roberts Offshore 38
I am aware that containers do float even after being punctured. I just figure if I run across one, I'll do my best to assist it on its way to Davy Jones. The pickaxe is there for other reasons as well.

As for my HO-28, I was digging round and found the photo album with the pics. If I can get my home pc cleaned up and virus free again, I'll post them to photobucket and import them here.

On the subject of collision mats, I've got a few sheets of 1/8 aircraft plywood handy which are 12x48 inches. Birch ply, water proof. In the event of a long scoring slice, I figure these can be placed against the wound and secured with ropes, water pressure and epoxy. Being as both my boats are multichine, there are large areas of flat curves and this should work. If the cut goes across a chine it will have to be covered with two patches but it should work. Light aluminum also comes to mind as a patch material.

Sabre
SabreKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2009, 16:39   #113
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
I was thinking if extra heavy urethane foam sprayed on the bow section would be helpful. Let's say you hit a slicing blow that parted the steel. Perhaps the urethane would prevent water intrusion? Or at least slow it down enough to do some damage repair.

Someone once recommended having toilet bowl wax seals handy to patch holes. I have never tried it but for about $2 I got a couple and put in my "damage control" locker.

As to collision mats, I have a smallish riding sail/storm staysail/drogue that could also serve as a collision mat in a pinch - maybe - if the material isn't too thick.

I also carry some Great Stuff cans. Not that it would stop a leak or do much in a hurry, but I have used it to secure and cushion my holding tank. It might do wonders to secure a bulkhead that was wandering.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2009, 16:59   #114
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneuman View Post
Interesting. I wonder how much it would cost to install an AIS that would be triggered to "squawk" like an auto-activated EPIRB? I don't know if it's economical to recover any of these containers, but for some high-value cargo, maybe it would be.

Anyway, it would at least reduce their hazard to navigation.
I think it would be more practical to install a hole filled with something that would deteriorate after some period submerged. Perhaps something in the eight corners because you can't tell "which end is up." This "something" would be hard so that the container could be drilled and this screwed/pounded in. It would need to be cheap to replace periodically, say once a year (each year/period a different color?) A 3/4" hole should let the damn thing sink pretty quick.

Maybe a pressure valve would work? Blow out when the internal pressure reaches 1 1/4 atmospheres? That might work as well.

But thinking of it fixes nothing. How would we get it legislated? That is the trick!
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2009, 18:32   #115

Boat: Beneteau 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minggat View Post
I carry a triangular collision mat made by Pelicans Loft. Of course I hope it's bigger than the hole that I plan to never get.
Minggat, I couldn't find them on the web. Can you post a link to Pelicans Loft? Also, do you have a picture of you collision mat?

2000 Beneteau 505 "Summer Boost"
bene505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2009, 19:15   #116

Boat: Will be a Steel hulled Cape Horner
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxingout View Post
I am wondering how many people have actually seen shipping containers floating in the ocean when sailing offshore?

I have talked to only one Australian sailor who almost hit a partially submerged container on the high seas. There are lots of containers lost overboard each year. When we were in a storm north of New Zealand, a ship lost more than ten containers overboard, but we never saw any of them.

I have talked with people who run into things at night offshore with a boat shuddering thunderous collision, but usually they never know what they hit unless it was a whale.

So all of you sailors out there, how many of you have actually seen a floating container in the water offshore?

Check out this URL to see pictures of some of the really big container disasters in which hundreds of containers went overboard:

M/V_OOCL_America

When I was a Commercial Sailor we lost over 30 in a bad blow off the Southern Australian Coast. Never had time to look if any of them where floating but Its one of the reasons I consider only Steel hulled Boats for my Sailing.
Old 29-11-2009, 19:52   #117

Boat: L. Francis Herreshoff H28 Ketch & Brisol 24 @ 25'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
Cruising in a steel hull I don't waste a minute thinking about collisions with either containers or whales. I once met a steel Aussi boat in the Marquesas who had several collisions with whales after leaving the Galapagos. They said it was like running into a pillow.
One of my 36 footers T-boned a steel barge tied to a dock at hull speed, no dammage whatsoever.
A guy I built a 36 footer for , after having cruised from BC to New Zealand and back , sailed the steel boat I built him to Mexico, Hawaii then back to BC. He said the peace of mind that the steel hull gave him when doing hull speed on a dark night was amazing.
If you are worried about containers , go for a steel hull and forget about them. There is zero chance you will do any significant dammage to a well built and maintained steel boat in a collision with a container or a whale.
Brent

Cool - doing a lot of spearfishing around bombies and cruising out of a port in a whale migration area and major shipping lane, you make me happy about my intention of finishing the contract on a steel boat (payment now sent and gear half packed!)
Old 29-11-2009, 20:05   #118

Boat: s/v Giro Lagoon 380 S2 #409
Send a message via Skype™ to twowheel
Along the same lines...but at least we know the general areas where these offshore obstacles reside. Still wouldn't be fun to run across one if you're off by a wee bit.

National Data Buoy Center
twowheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 07:17   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer
I think it would be more practical to install a hole filled with something that would deteriorate after some period submerged.
Not a bad idea, but it is only going to work for those containers that are packed with heavy items. What about the containers filled with material that will float? A container filled with foam pillows, for instance, would continue to float for a very long time regardless of how many holes it has in it.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 09:17   #120
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
What about the containers filled with material that will float? A container filled with foam pillows, for instance, would continue to float for a very long time regardless of how many holes it has in it.
All solid steel containers leak. Average life span is about 3 weeks. Once you replace most of the air with water the flotation of the cargo has to overcome far too much. I suppose you could design a cargo that would displace most of the air, but items like that tend to cost more to ship that they are worth. Foam pillows water log pretty quick. I suppose something like a container of basketballs might displace some air but I doubt it is enough to float the container plus the water around the balls.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote