Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-05-2007, 10:23   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boracay
With the exception of those containers from that ship in the English Channel I have never seen or heard of a container being washed up on shore.

This makes me suspect that containers might float, but only for a short time.
I thought that point was that they float a bit under the surface sometimes.. Making seeing them very difficult / impossible...
purdue512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 14:56   #47
cruiser

Boat: Crealock Del Rey 50 Cutter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Wheeler
On average, 3500 containers go overboard per year.
Seems to me that there is a business opportunity here. What if shipping companies were required to equip their containers with an EPIRB type device that triggered when a container became submerged or partially submerged? They would then be required to pay a salvage company to collect the containers.
Trim50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 15:55   #48
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"Seems to me that there is a business opportunity here. What if shipping companies were required to"

Seems like deja vu all over again.

You and what army are going to require ten million cargo cubes to be equipped with what equipment, paid for by what funding? Till you get past that, there's no business opportunity. It's more profitable for them to lose containers and pay loss claims when and if they have to.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 17:42   #49
cruiser

Boat: Crealock Del Rey 50 Cutter
[quote=hellosailorYou and what army are going to require ten million cargo cubes to be equipped with what equipment, paid for by what funding? Till you get past that, there's no business opportunity. It's more profitable for them to lose containers and pay loss claims when and if they have to.[/quote]

For sure you're right. Most people are far more worried about what is in the containers these days than what happens to the 3500 that get lost. Seems to me there is a simple solution. Unfortunately, we sailors are but a few who give a damn.
Trim50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 18:06   #50
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Trim, you might have just found the back door there. If some Elected Savior [aka CongressCritter] could be convinced that terrorists COULD use jettisoned cargo cubes as a viable means of delivering a threat, they could also be convinced to bring federal SECURITY legislation prohibiting the import or carriage of any cubes without tracking devices, or better secured to the vessels.

Heck, if the Japanese were clever enough to send firebombs via balloon across the Pacific...it shouldn't be hard to sell Congress on the need to protect us from stray containers.<G>
Old 03-05-2007, 07:06   #51
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bristol 35 Bellesa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodesman
Punch 48°42'10.50"S 75°35'0.72"W into GoogleEarth - looks like they do wash ashore.
Thanks.. now I have this need to know what's inside. Anyone close enough to take a peek?

This is going to haunt me all day.
FrankZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 10:07   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor
Trim, you might have just found the back door there. If some Elected Savior [aka CongressCritter] could be convinced that terrorists COULD use jettisoned cargo cubes as a viable means of delivering a threat, they could also be convinced to bring federal SECURITY legislation prohibiting the import or carriage of any cubes without tracking devices, or better secured to the vessels.

Heck, if the Japanese were clever enough to send firebombs via balloon across the Pacific...it shouldn't be hard to sell Congress on the need to protect us from stray containers.<G>
I think that's a hard sell. I mean, they would drop something harmful in the ocean in a container and hope it floats to New York City before sinking? I HAVE to hope our politicians would even question if spending money on that one is reasonable.
purdue512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2007, 08:39   #53

Boat: Morgan 45 'Fidelis'
So you've hit a container...

I had looked at this thread hoping to gain some insight on damage control techniques that work, and don't work. I'm familiar with the academics of the various techniques, but have never read from anyone who has actually had to do it.

I'm going on the 2007 TransPac in a 30' GRP sportboat, looking for some experienced advice on hull damage.

Anybody out there?
Duckonfidelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2007, 09:39   #54
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bateau TW28 Long Cabin
This is what happens when your 2000 tonne icebreaker hits a container at sea!

I took those pics in the early 80's off the coast of Cape Breton Island. Two vessels collided and one called the "MV Berglund" (I think), a container ship sunk. The containers continued to pop up for weeks as we stood by trying to keep the locals out of them. Reports were there were some very hazardous materials in some of the containers. This particular one was full of "Cheese Whiz" destined for the European market!
knottybuoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2007, 10:16   #55

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure
Uggh! Cheez Whiz - I wonder if that counts as an environmental disaster? What damage, if any, did the icebreaker suffer?

Kevin
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2007, 11:07   #56
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bateau TW28 Long Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodesman
Uggh! Cheez Whiz - I wonder if that counts as an environmental disaster? What damage, if any, did the icebreaker suffer?

Kevin
Hey Kevin

None. The skipper seemed to take great sport in running it down a second time! Bugger wouldn't sink, it was a reefer with foam insulation! *lol*
knottybuoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2007, 14:46   #57
cruiser

containers

Whack a piece of fibreglass with a steel pickaxe, then whack a piece of steel with a fibreglas pickaxe. Enuf said?.
I once met a guy who hit a container of Costa Rica in a 40 ft fibreglass boat . It sunk in seconds.He was then planning a steel boat for all his future cruising..
Brent
Brent Swain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2007, 14:54   #58
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Duck, you should be able to find plenty of books and web articles on damage control. Either rigging damage control pads and patches, that can be lowered over a hole and tied around the hull, or having spare plywood, etc. available and bracing it from the inside as well. You do the best you can and accept that once a hole is larger than your largest patch (settee board, table, whatever) you will be abandoning ship.

In terms of preparing beforehand, some races require watertight bulkheads especially to close off the bow, but on a 30' boat that may not be practical. Some boaters lay in extra layers of steel belting (like the kind used in tires) or spectra, etc. bonded directly to the bow and tip of the keel, either inside or outside. Again a matter of money and tastes.

You do what you can, and then try to keep a sharp lookout.
Old 31-05-2007, 18:45   #59
Ion

Interesting stuff. How effective is forward looking sonar in avoiding any type of submerged object? I have no experience with it.
Ion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 00:08   #60

Ion l gather that the sonar will see them, but the chances of you reacting in time (and in the right way)i n any normal sort of cruising mode is pretty slim. Only because the distance ahead that these units are reliable is not very far.
cooper is offline   Reply With Quote