Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-09-2009, 18:47   #1
Marine Service Provider

Flare and/or Flare Kit Storage

Just wondering where does everyone keep theirs?

I have 2 orion canisters, so I guess the first question is, do I really need 2, or is it overkill? Would just 1 placed in a very easy to get to location make more sense?

One of them is inside the cabin, but the other I'm having a tough time trying to find a spot for. When I bought the boat it was in the propane locker, which I'm guessing is a bad idea? The other locker in my cockpit is filled with all the various oils for engine, drive leg, etc., and a spare propane tank, I'm guessing also not a good idea? The other 2 lockers are at the top of my transom steps, probably again a bad idea, if I need to get to it in rough seas.

So any suggestions?

I was thinking of maybe getting one of those wall mounting brackets, but mount it to the rear rail somewhere or maybe to one of the davits?
off-the-grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2009, 19:41   #2

Boat: Currently boatless
I store them in a yellow Pains-Wessex waterproof poly container, which I keep in the quarterberth near the companionway steps. These containers are big enough to hold an entire complement of solas flares for offshore use.
Ziggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2009, 20:27   #3

Boat: Tayana 37- Victoria Rose
We keep three compiments of flares. The first is the completely legal and up-to-date set, kept in the orange orion container screwed to the bulkhead under the nav station (near the companionway). A second set (including SOLAS flares) are in waterproof bags in the ditch bag located at the companionway. The third (admittingly, not a set) are the recently outdated flares which we keep for a period of time behind the nav station. My intent is that if we're still floating and need them, having a few extras might be beneficial. Oh, we also have more in the life raft.

Probably overkill, but I want a good/legal set on board in a fixed location, and a set that we can take with us, either to the dinghy or life raft.
Sailabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2009, 05:25   #4
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
I keep mine in one of the cockpit lazarettes in an orange plastic ammo box. It has a rubber gasket on the top to keep moisture out. There's a line attached to the handle so I can find it and pull it out quickly.
Old 28-09-2009, 20:07   #5

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
- - If you ever get as far as Trinidad - DO NOT let them know you have flare pistols - they will confiscate them. The locals steal them and use barrel inserts to turn them into pistols according to the officials.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2009, 08:00   #6
Marine Service Provider

What about the issue of storing them in the same compartment with propane, oil, etc?

Both of my cockpit lazarettes have propane tanks in them, so if that's a no no, I need to find another spot.
off-the-grid is offline   Reply With Quote