Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-04-2019, 21:08   #61

Boat: Other people's boats
Re: First aid kit recommendations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidsplice View Post
Design flaw - they are usually one big, tightly packed box. Rummaging through, in a rough sea, will likely spill all over the place.
The larger AMK marine medkits I've seen were nicely partitioned into pouches with large labels. Unfortunately the one time I needed to dig into one I found the small metal zipper on the inner pouch had corroded itself shut.
requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2019, 05:15   #62

Boat: 21' trailer sailor & 8' sailing dinghy

I was stitched up recently by a talented PA at a after-hours urgent care, with minimal scarring. Wound was irrigated before closing, stitched deep and shallow to get the skin back in the right place, and I treated it with peroxide and antibacterial ointment and bandages until I felt comfortable to expose it to the world a couple weeks later (forehead). I was told to keep it out of the sun for a year, using a bandage not sunscreen. Glue was discussed but not an option. We have some common hobbies so the during-treatment conversation was pleasant as well. I was only 20 minutes out from professional help. That adjusting glued-on zippered suture mechanism might have been good for this out in the field/out at sea.
Old 23-04-2019, 13:17   #63

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

I repeat myself, but it seems to fit once more:

I recently came across this:

https://www.ziplinemedical.com/

Might be good to have on board.
Old 23-04-2019, 20:15   #64

Boat: Irwin 30 Citation

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Here's a typical Cat C contents list. Whether it contains "everything you need" depends very much on circumstances

Cat C:
30 x Anti-Diarrhoea tablets
60 x Anti-Sea Sickness tablets
1 x Anti-Angina Preparation
50 x Analgesic tablets
50 x Ibuprofen
2 x Standard Medium Dressings
2 x Standard Large Dressings
1 x Extra Large Standard Dressing
10 x Paraffin Gauze Dressings
4 x Triangular Bandages
1 x Absorbent Cotton Gauze
1 x Adhesive Elastic Bandage
20 x Adhesive Plasters Assorted Sterile
6 x Adhesive Sutures 75mm
1 x Pocket Mask Mouth to Mouth Resuscitation
1 x Antiseptic Cream
5 x pairs of Disposable Polythene Gloves (Large)
1 x Burn Bag
1 x Scissors
6 x Safety Pins
6 x Antiseptic Wipes.
As a ski patroller and volunteer EMT for 20 years, I like this list. When ever we sail in Caribbean I put together all the stuff I want for broken bones and blood while my wife is a walking talking pharmacy. Sixty days on the water and knock on wood never used my first aid kit that I put together. My wife and her pharmacy on the other hand is needed almost every couple days.

I would add the following:
* total of 8 triangular bandages which have many uses
* you need to know how to apply a tourniquet with triangular bandages and 2 to 4 sticks, 9 inch long oak dowels 3/8ths thick you make from hardware store. Or buy two expensive tourniquets. You need two
* more meds like acid reflex Gas-X
* space blanket
* small needle nose vice grips because this can fix boat and humans
upstateny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 05:09   #65

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertt View Post
I can recommend DeftGet First aid kit for you, compact size to be conveniently carried while you're traveling. This is a complete kit that provides all the required emergency equipment for any type of situation.
Welcome to CF

Do you sell these by chance? only a new member advertising a product does look a little spammy.

Have you had to use your own one for real? how did it cope and how does it match up to the requirements that have been listed earlier in this thread?

Look forward to your reply.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 05:21   #66

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Any tips for hydration? We’d love to be able to do our own saline and banana bags, but they expire quickly and it’s not recommended to do so.

That’s the one big loophole in onboard medical treatment in my eyes, and one of the most common things done in the ER.

How can it be solved?
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 05:36   #67

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
Any tips for hydration? We’d love to be able to do our own saline and banana bags, but they expire quickly and it’s not recommended to do so.

That’s the one big loophole in onboard medical treatment in my eyes, and one of the most common things done in the ER.

How can it be solved?
Diving buddy and Army medic saved a mans life in Africa by putting a tube up his bum and filling it with water. I think there were severe facial injuries preventing oral hydration and a long trip to civilisation.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 05:45   #68

Boat: Irwin 30 Citation

I have been an active volunteer ski patroller since 1997. I have also been a volunteer EMT. I skied around the mountain with a lot of first aid equipment that I have never used. Here is my list of MUST have first aid for trauma injuries that you probably never find in a first aid kit that I have actually used.

1. sterile plastic bottles of water to clean wounds. stick a hole in it and spray on wound.
  2. lots of sterile gauze pads of different sizes. 4x4 are probably the most useful. Get a few larger ones that hopefully you will never need.
  3. good quality tape roles of different sizes, 1/4, 1/2, to 1 inch thick
  4. at least 6 triangle cravat bandages. The bigger the better. These have many many uses. You will figure it out.
  5. two oak dowels about 10 inches long 3/8 inch thick used with cravat above for tourniquet to stop bleeding
  6. I like to use a lot of 4 inch wide gauze rolls with sterile gauze pads above. get a few of these. You may use them for for minor or larger wounds
  7. compression bandage are also extremely useful
  8. SAM splint can be molded in any form to splint an arm.
  9. occlusive dressing also known as a roll of saran wrap.
  10. Vinegar for what stings you in the water.
  11. yes some small bandages of course
  12. benadryl for alergic reactions
Full disclosure, I have only used that gauze and tape while cruising in the Caribbean. Most used medical stuff was provided by my wife in the form of over the counter pills and creams. She is the over the counter pharmacists with
upstateny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 06:09   #69

Boat: Montgomery 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstateny View Post
As a ski patroller and volunteer EMT for 20 years, I like this list. When ever we sail in Caribbean I put together all the stuff I want for broken bones and blood while my wife is a walking talking pharmacy. Sixty days on the water and knock on wood never used my first aid kit that I put together. My wife and her pharmacy on the other hand is needed almost every couple days.

I would add the following:
* total of 8 triangular bandages which have many uses
* you need to know how to apply a tourniquet with triangular bandages and 2 to 4 sticks, 9 inch long oak dowels 3/8ths thick you make from hardware store. Or buy two expensive tourniquets. You need two
* more meds like acid reflex Gas-X
* space blanket
* small needle nose vice grips because this can fix boat and humans
We are pretty well equipped also, but 90% of the time (thankfully!) we can get by with band-aids and Neosporin or antiseptic wipes. And aspirin or ibuprofen of course. A few months back I bought a box of 'Tough Strip' band-aids from a well known manufacturer, and I can't recommend them enough. It's actually difficult to remove them, even after being in water for a day or two. The adhesive is amazing! I hate going through a 6 or 8 band-aids a day, just such a waste. They are pricey, but worth every penny.
rmlarson1098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 09:58   #70

Boat: Other people's boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmlarson1098 View Post
I hate going through a 6 or 8 band-aids a day, just such a waste.
Also another good reason to stock up on gauze, as upstateny mentioned. There's the amount needed to patch someone up, and then there's the amount needed to handle regular dressing changes over a period of X days.

Which reminds me of a few other items that may result in less waste:

- Tegaderm transparent film dressings; e.g. use Steristrips+benzoin or similar to close the wound, and the film to keep it covered and clean.
- Hydrocolloid dressings; I like these for blisters since you can leave them on for days and they're more robust than traditional moleskin. (Although, I ran into a ski guide who had a roll padded tape that also worked well for early treatment of hotspots.)

Also, while you can use your shears to trim off a small section of SAM Splint, having something finger-sized might be good. (I have in mind the particular problem case of keeping a cut closed if it's over a knuckle, but it of course also works for breaks/dislocations.)

My preference would be to simply purchase a TQ rather than improvise. Improvised ones may be more likely to risk the windlass or material breaking, or capturing folds of skin into the twists (esp. for an inexperienced user).

Finally, one other thought that occurred to me (and it may have been covered up-thread), is that sensitivity to neomycin is a thing, and that double- rather than triple-antibiotic ointment may be something to consider.
requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2020, 19:51   #71

Boat: Cape Dory 33 Sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post

How can it be solved?
Have a look at https://norfolkmedical.com/products/aqua-c-needle-set/ for hypodermoclysis. This is simple, safe, and effective way to rehydrate in a less than ideal situation. It is not fast; it won't resuscitate somebody bleeding out from a ruptured spleen. But, it will save the life of somebody intractably sea sick or otherwise drying out from illness.

Little skill is required and it can use the same set up as IV. You are infusing Normal Saline into the subcutaneous space rather than trying to cannulate a vein. You don't need their special needle set, but it does make it more idiot proof. The technique is used widely by veterinarians, and to treat humans around the world, just less so in the US.

There are lots of youtube videos on the technique and I believe Norfolk Medical links to one or two on their site. Carry at least 2 liter bags of NS and as many tubing sets and needles. Like most things medical, saline bags will last well beyond their expiration date if you take care of them.

Saline can be infused as a drip from the bag like an IV, or bolused in various sites around the body core like the vet does to your cat. There is more to learn, of course, but worth the research if you are really voyaging out of range of advanced medical care.

www.medofficer.net
Woodstock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 06:00   #72
cruiser

My husband and I collected the first aid kit ourselves. We also couldn't remember what goes in there. We found a list of necessary medications. When we saw it, we realized that we don't have even half of that list. So I quickly ordered everything I needed. And the funny thing that we forgot to take with us on a swim is a cure for poisoning. Fortunately, everything was fine and we didn`t need them
jjuliajul11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 06:57   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Welcome to CF

Do you sell these by chance? only a new member advertising a product does look a little spammy.

Have you had to use your own one for real? how did it cope and how does it match up to the requirements that have been listed earlier in this thread?

Look forward to your reply.

Pete
Found the Deftkits on Amazon,not very expensive but pretty basic. Would probably be fine for most simple first aid needs. It looks like it has some non-medical "tools"- small flashlight, whistle, small multitool. The first aid supplies are pretty basic, mostly band aids, small wound items. I didn't see a tourniquet or other major trauma supplies.

https://www.amazon.com/stores/DEFTGE...C?ref_=ast_bln
slipaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 07:02   #74

Related. If you are looking for supplies, procedures for jellyfish stings (not an uncommon problem in Chesapeake Bay where we sail), the Wilderness Medical Society has put out some updated guidance on treatment. It talks about treatments that are recommended, others that won't do harm and one's to avoid. It's worth a read:

https://wms.org/magazine/1283/Jellyfish
slipaway is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men