Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-04-2014, 15:20   #31

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours
Re: Fire!! Fire:0, Mark:1, Extinguisher:??????

That's the reason I carry my CO2 fire control canisters with me on all the boats I deliver or on my own boats !! Dry canisters are all right, but theres nothing like a big CO2 to get the job done ! Just my own personal tastes!
Old 10-04-2014, 15:30   #32

Boat: In the hunt again, unknown

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie View Post
That's the reason I carry my CO2 fire control canisters with me on all the boats I deliver or on my own boats !! Dry canisters are all right, but theres nothing like a big CO2 to get the job done ! Just my own personal tastes!
Just remember, CO2, confined space (inside the boat), you can displace the O2 in the area, make sure you ventilate the area after discharging the extinguisher.
Khagan1227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 15:56   #33
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderinlost View Post

Does anyone have smoke detector in their vessels?
Yes! They are great. I test mine with my cooking often. Seriously, I dont have it scewed into the wall, just have it resting in some shelves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanshin View Post
Hello (from Dominica) Mark!

Another shout I owe you (just in case you are close by if flames begin to lick out of Zanshin!) and congratulations on increasing your Karma balance!

Are you still outside of the Dutch Bridge in Sint Maarten and was this where the fire happened?
No, i am in under Mt Fortune... Just for a week and then back out or to st B.

Yes the Karma balance is important because the other day a boat dragged down on mine when I was up the pub and other cruisers jumped onto my boat, laid out fenders and held everything till the other owner arrived. So what goes around comes around!
It should be the first rule of cruising: make every karma point you can because you sure as hell need them!

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 16:10   #34
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Mark, rule of thumb is that one of the "liter" size extinguishers is good for about one waste basket fire, that's all. (I call them "liter" because most folks know what a one-liter soda bottle is.)

And, that a fire doubles in size every 30 seconds, so those small extinguishers really are only useful for a small or confined fire. Also, the extinguisher in the pic is a red one, which is usually the infamous yellow powder. That's actually quite corrosive to metals, can ruin electrical wiring and kitchen appliances and electronics. (Which still beats burning to death.)

But for boats, cars, and galleys, you want a bicarbonate extinguisher, which is usually labeled as a "Marine" or "kitchen" type, and often white not red. Costs very little more, but the bicarbonate powder is basically baking soda, it won't destroy everything it contacts and it is not as bad to breath.

Speaking of which...A plain N95 particle mask and goggles can be useful, to keep any kind of powder out of your body if you're using it in a confined space.

And as folks have said, if you've never used an extinguisher, DO. Sometimes a local fire house has demo days, ask. Otherwise, you take an old extinguisher that needs recharge, or is simply the oldest one around...and find a place to extinguish a barbeque or something. They work much better when you have some idea of what is and isn't going to happen.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 16:15   #35

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

I'm with colemj! Except, I allow no dry chemical extinguishers on board. I have 5 pound Halotrons at each bunk (next to the cockpit exit), a Halotron 15.5 in the center cockpit emergency locker, and an older model AFFF sitting next to the big one as a last resort. Having seen the destructive effect of the dry chems on a boat interior, I can easily say they are as destructive as the fire itself.

By the way, does anyone have a source for fire blankets? I'm looking for one for the galley stove if the bacon goes gonzo.

FOUND IT: http://www.katssafety.com/Products/Fire-Blanket.aspx
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 16:28   #36

Boat: Caliber 40 LRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Yes! They are great. I test mine with my cooking often. Seriously, I dont have it scewed into the wall, just have it resting in some shelves.

Mark,

3M Command Strips keep it in place on shelf or bulkhead and leave no damage.

RS
Red Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 16:42   #37
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Roy, you'll find fire blankets are still sold online but wool is obsoleted by aramid and Kevlar. (Kaching!)

Also look at the hardware store, Kidde makes specific "kitchen" fire extinguishers. This is not just the usual white bicarbonate extinguisher, and when you see there is no UL rating, no 1A/10BC, no nothing on them, don't be put off by this. They use a special "high volume, wide pattern, low pressure" head designed to put the powder on a stovetop fire or a grease fire, without blowing burning grease and oil all over the place. No UL rating because the UL has no test for that purpose, but the same amount of the same agent that other same-size extinguishers have.

Of course if you can get an old wool horse blanket...Or something else and find sodium silicate to impregnate it and make it fire retardant...But the real things are still sold online.
Old 10-04-2014, 16:46   #38

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

I just priced AFFF extinguishers. Those with USCG certification cost about $400, those without are a little more than half that price. Anyone ACTUALLY know if there is an effective difference? I have the uncertified AFFF because I already meet the certs for CG approved units on my pleasure craft, and I'll get another uncertified one as a backup. I am terrified of a fire at sea. It's not like you can pull over to the side of the road and wait for the red trucks.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 17:02   #39
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Amerex #254 6 Liters AFFF Foam Fire Extinguisher: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

$126 for 6 liters, 2-1/2 gallons.

The AX250CG, the USCG approved model, appears to be the same thing in red with the extremely critical USCG approved mounting bracket. I wouldn't spend 4x the price for a bracket, I have no great admiration for the USCG approved brackets in any case.
Old 10-04-2014, 17:10   #40
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Thanks for all the replies

But no one has commented on the way we actually put out the fire.

Water.

Buckets of it. Then a rigged up bilge pump.

That really put it out.

Is water better?? Who cares if we blow a fuse?

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 17:14   #41

Boat: PETERSON 44

If your on fire a bit more Extiguishers then the tiny ones are better. The tiny ones are nice fir fitting on a bulkhead. My experience is the small ones don't have enough life. A few 20 lbs added with convenient small ones is better. Then you can spend more dollars on different stuff. The powder can be cleaned up but it makes a mess. Better then the mess that a fire could make. Yes I have used them on fires.
One neighbor fence fire. Used 40 lb in spurts. The fire was out when the fire department arrived. Used 3 2 lb on car fire. The car was charred when the dept arrived. Paper fire inside a building 20 lb extinguished the fire. Car fire 5 lb extinguished the fire cut the battery cables fire did not restart.
Then my 3 year old tripped a 2 lb Extinguisher in the boat. We cleaned it up but it was a mess.no corrosion issue the boat did not fall apart. That's my experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 21:08   #42

Boat: 1972 Aquarius 23'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Sky View Post
One in both sleeping compartments and the galley/saloon area.
Nice idea with the tape to keep secured.. You never know when something may go wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
...snip....

We also have smoke alarms throughout - these are also stupid cheap and small - Costco sells 4-packs for $35.

But apparently, your best defense is to not anchor where SeaLife anchors.

Mark
Especially if you are on shore power or who knows what a lightning strike can light up one night. It is all possible and only takes one time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie View Post
Co2 works wonders less of a mess. Just be sure as mentioned to be outside the cabin or be close to fresh air when being used in confined spaces. Bringing your own fire equipment is a good piece of mind. You never know the whole story of a vessel you deliver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post

No, i am in under Mt Fortune... Just for a week and then back out or to st B.

Yes the Karma balance is important because the other day a boat dragged down on mine when I was up the pub and other cruisers jumped onto my boat, laid out fenders and held everything till the other owner arrived. So what goes around comes around!
It should be the first rule of cruising: make every karma point you can because you sure as hell need them!
Cooking is a great test and sometimes reminds you that the food is done... I always wondered if cooking below decks depending on what you are cooking would set one off. A good test indeed.

I as well a firm believer in karma. I would not be where I am now if it was not for some good will and some may say luck but I think its more of just being me and being true.
Wonderinlost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 22:06   #43

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

Mark, I've used dry chem extinguishers in anger twice, once on a boat and once in a car. Both fires were primarily burning melted plastic. The dry chem knocked out both fires but both came right back. Both fires were eventually put out with water.

The boat fire was very small. Despite two small USCGA extinguishers being emptied on it, it continued to burn. A pan of water from the galley eventually put it out. This fire was started by an overheated electrical component.

The car fire was probably started by the catalytic converter lighting tall dry grass on fire which set plastic in the engine compartment on fire. It was eventually put out with a garden hose.

The funny thing was that there was a man and woman in the car and neither got out. The man just kept trying to crank the engine. As soon as the water put the fire out, the engine started and they drove away. Never said a word. I suspect they may not have been wearing pants when the fire started.
Old 11-04-2014, 15:48   #44

That's funny Hop Car
"I suspect they may not have been wearing pants when the fire started."

ShaunJ

ShaunJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 16:31   #45

Boat: Caliber 40 LRC

Is that what Elvis meant when he sang about a hunka, hunka, burnin' love?
Red Sky is offline   Reply With Quote