Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-06-2017, 14:53   #91
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Fire Extinguisher Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandHopper View Post
I'm looking in to getting some of these shortly, check out the video....

Water Mist Extinguishers - For most fire risks
Interesting stuff.

Excerpt from that linked site.

"Broad-Spectrum Extinguisher Capabilities

The extinguishers are capable of tackling almost all common fires including class A, B, C, F type fires as well as fires involving live electrical equipment of up to 1000V! The unique water mist has the cooling effect of water and creates a "mist curtain" cutting off the oxygen supply.

The droplets are so small that they have no adverse reaction on burning liquids and fats, allowing the extinguishers to be used on class B and F fires.

Our water mist extinguishers can be used safely on paper, wood, soft furnishing, electrical equipment such as computers and printers, small oil and fat fires, clothing and gas flames and are therefore perfect for offices, workshops, churches, schools and homes.

Completely Safe for use on Electrical Equipment

The water droplets created by the extinguishers are so small that electricity cannot travel through them. In addition, our water mist extinguishers contain only de-ionised water which cannot carry electrical current. Our water mist extinguishers have been di-electrically tested with 35000 Volt! Therefore the extinguishers are completely safe for use on live electrical equipment (up to 1000V at 1m distance)."
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 14:57   #92

From what I see, the water mist extinguishers are coast guard approved for class A & C fires. Unfortunately, the coast guard requirements for vessels are for class B extinguishers. So at first glance, though they may be valuable, they won't help towards meeting the US Coast Guard requirements. I just looked at a couple of websites though, so maybe there are some that are also class B approved?
Training Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2018, 18:12   #93

Boat: Columbia 29 MK1 Hull #28

Joining this discussion late and its old. But should anyone be looking and skipping to the end of this, clean agent extinguishers such as Halon 1211/1301, Halotron or even FE-36 are wonderful but not inexpensive alternatives to the messy and corrosive dry chemical extinguishers.

They require no clean up, wont corrode, don't damage electronics and wont cake like the dry chemical extinguisher making them lower maintenance. My boat has two (one Halotron and one FE-36) currently and waiting on another two (Halon 1211/1301).
406Columbia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2018, 20:17   #94

Boat: 47' Steel Roberts Cutter
Fire Extinguisher Discussion

Any of you seen the MAUS Xtin Klein extinguisher newly offered? An ‘aerosol extinguisher’. Recently reviewed by John harries on the attainable adventure cruising site. Very interesting new tech. I’ve got a couple on order to check out. Seems the main ingredient is an aerosolized potassium ‘smoke’ agent- but they claim absolutely no clean up, and amazing fire knock down ability. Check it out: https://nordfireinc.com/products/xtin-klein.
NSboatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2018, 05:24   #95
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Training Wheels View Post
From what I see, the water mist extinguishers are coast guard approved for class A & C fires. Unfortunately, the coast guard requirements for vessels are for class B extinguishers. So at first glance, though they may be valuable, they won't help towards meeting the US Coast Guard requirements. I just looked at a couple of websites though, so maybe there are some that are also class B approved?

I have enough of the cheap dry chemical fire extinguishers to satisfy USCG requirements, but Lord forbid if I have to use a fire extinguisher, I’m going for the Halon and or Halotron ones.
I think fire extinguishers are like money, I’ve heard you can have too much, but find it hard to believe.

Whatever extinguisher you chose, remember it’s likely that you will be in a small enclosed area, so chose one if possible that will still allow you to breathe and see what’s going on.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2019, 08:44   #96

Boat: Lagoon 39

Is a professional fire extinguisher inspection required on a 39 ft Lagoon catamaran?
jvoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2019, 15:15   #97

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvoit View Post
Is a professional fire extinguisher inspection required on a 39 ft Lagoon catamaran?
What flag is the boat ( where is it registered). Is it recreational oe commercial. The regulations are different in different countries.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2019, 17:10   #98

Boat: Island Packet 32

64, where did you buy the 5lb Halotron?
Old 22-04-2019, 18:11   #99
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpstevens View Post
64, where did you buy the 5lb Halotron?

On line, a restraunt supply store I think. Went for cheapest price.
There are many sources, Halotron is not apparently an ozone depleting gas, I don’t really know what it is, just that it’s supposed to have similar traits and is half as effective as Halon.
I have an extreme dislike of the powder fire extinguishers myself, and CO2 just doesn’t have the staying power, it will knock back a fire, but it doesn’t stop it from coming back when O2 returns.
Halotron is on top, Halon underneath, and of course dry chemical under that.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0706.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	190647
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2019, 19:44   #100

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

West Marine #1219419
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2019, 03:27   #101
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

“Halotron I” is a fire-extinguishing agent based on the raw material HCFC-123 (93%) mixed with tetrafluoromethane and argon as propellants.
MSDS ➥ http://www.halotron.com/pdf/Halotron1_SDS.pdf

About ➥ https://www.nist.gov/sites/default/f...h/R0201336.pdf

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote