Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-04-2004, 15:28   #1

Question firast aid kits

I have tried to put together a comprehensive kit....I think the ones you buy as is leave a lot to be desired...I have heard that it is not wise to trust the needles, scalpels, and sutures in third world countries so I have added these to my kit. also stethoscope lots of hemostats and forceps...all the typical bandages and tapes..etc. is there anything standing out in anyone's mind that would also be a good thing?
Olympia, WA
capn_nik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2004, 17:25   #2

I think there are some very good kits available that would require only a little supplementing...

The Poseidon® Medical Kit

The Pharmaceutical Kit

I'm not sure what it takes to buy one of these, or what they cost.
exposure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2004, 17:37   #3

good call...I had overlooked the dental aspect of emergencies....seeing the list of contents is great...thanks
Olympia, WA
capn_nik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2004, 08:34   #4
RPC

First aid kits and medical emergencies

Medical kits and medical emergencies on boats

There is a comprehensive cruising site with a medical section that includes several medical kits and lists of gear to carry. It also has a lot of other cruising information.

go to the site www.onpassage.com

click on the "emergency&medical" section and then go into "medical"
RPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 11:12   #5

Boat: 1964 Pearson Ariel 'Faith' / Pearson 424, sv Emerald Tide
Talking M-3 'medic' bag

capn_nik,

I have an M-3 'medic' bag that I have added quite a bit to. It can be purchased from Cheaper than Dirt Website

OBTW, they say that there are those among us with creative spelling abilities have overly high IQ's that secretly seek to find new ways of expression. Good to see yours at work. I look forward to the new language you are coming up with. Rest assured I will be the firast one to understand it.
s/v 'Faith' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 11:46   #6

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Antibiotics

Found out last season the importance of having some around. Nearly had to be flown out due to pneumonia, also some real strong painkillers (not the ones with rum, although they come in handy too). If you need prescription drugs have a good supply on hand. Luckily half the cruisers in the Bahamas seem to be nurses, doctors or pharmaceutical representatives.
Old 12-10-2005, 12:54   #7

I have this "kit" that came with my boat.

http://www.e-firstaidsupplies.com/st...ode=912-TOP999

I went through it last month and inventoried and updated/restocked all the supplies (about 100 USD worth) for the first time since we bought the boat. I was impressed how thorough it is. I believe I could treat the entire crew of the SS Minnow with the kit. It is not cheap, but if you are days from medical help and have a problem, it could be a bargain. I still have to add personal items such as prescription medications, but I'll wait until we are closer to D-day for that task.
Old 12-10-2005, 16:19   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
These pre-assembled first-aid kits are great - but way overpriced.
Certainly use the information provided in the “contents” listings, but you could assemble a better kity of our own, with more (qty’s) of the most commonly used items, for much cheaper.

They're akin to fast food vs home made.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 17:17   #9

Gord, I am not sure I completely agree with you on that. When I restocked a few items in my kit the cost was a surprising $100+. And this was mostly for basic items such as aspirin, ibuprofen, H2O2, Ace bandages, a replacement wound closing kit. As I look through the kit, there is a dental kit for fixing fillings, a set of air splints, numerous specialized CPR items, a blood pressure cuff, and much more. I can easily account for about $600 woth of items just in my head. I have no doubt that I could hit $900, the cost of a new complete kit. The bags alone are about $75 and they are laid out for quick retrieval of the items needed for a specific problem. As such, there is some duplication in the kit. For instance, there are gauze and wraps in both hte minor and major trauma bags.

I really think some of these kits are a good value. I also consider the fact that they have probably thought of items that I would not have, unless maybe I went to take a wilderness medicine type of class (which may be a good idea).

You might be right about saving money if I were knowledgable about emergency medicine and knew what I felt comfortable leaving out. I will be travelling with two kids, which heightens my concern even more.

Woody
Old 03-11-2005, 05:02   #10

Boat: Pearson 365- Trident
pirate First Aid kits

The size and type of first aid kit really depends on the type of sailing you do and more importantly the farthest distance you will be from qualified medical help. Typically, the day sailor will of course not need the robust kit that a bluewater sailor will need. It sounds like you have a good start. Certainly, you would want to include a stash of any medications, perscription or non-perscription for any ailments you already have. I would certainly add a good triple anibiotic ointment to your list and take a look at some of the simpler ways of closing a wound like butterfly bandages. I don't know if you have ever tried to thread a needle at night in a heavy sea but it is pretty difficult. Using a butterfly can save time and is a much easier temporary fix. Good luck.
SailWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 05:21   #11

Boat: currently "on the beach"
again, from destination flyfishing, infection is a big concern. the different oceans of the world are loaded with different bacteria. since we handle fish swimming in those waters, and occasionally get stabbed, risk of serious infection is real. topicals will not do it. most traveling anglers make sure they have a filled prescription for antibiotics in their bag. since lots of MDs fish, you should be able to find one that understands the risk.
capt. lar

We have met the enemy and he is us. - Walt Kelly
capt lar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 05:27   #12

Location: Winters - Out Cruising / Summers in the NC mountains
Boat: Brewer 42
Gord is correct

I found a list of the contents of a prepackaged kit on the internet. Then my wife and I went down each isle of Rite-Aid Drugs and a local homecare store.

We purchased almost everything on the list, substituting brands for the generic Rite-Aid brand and spent about 60% of what the prepackaged kit was. We even added some items that my wife wanted.

Roger
rleslie is offline   Reply With Quote