Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-07-2012, 11:18   #16

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: Exercises while cruising?

On a passage, I will try not to move. While the boat moves all the time, trying not move is an excellent exercise.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2012, 11:36   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailFastTri View Post
Shore-side is easy, but how do you keep fit while aboard either underway or at anchor?
Running up and down the companionway 500 times a day, plus hiking 5 miles each way humping provisions. I am not joking. It's all I would ever need.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2012, 13:00   #18

Location: New Mexico and our S/V is in Fort Pierce..hope to be there soon and sailing.
Boat: S/V"KAREN", Pearson Alberg 35. an achilles dingy, 2 kyaks.

.....sailing or at anchor...total body work out...shore side..not so much...
susanna reiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2012, 13:10   #19

Boat: Lagoon 440
Send a message via Skype™ to impi

Perhaps I should ask Ana to write a note on this ... she is a fitness fanatic ... more so she enjoys Yoga and Pilates and I think she has written a bit about this on our blog, but on the 'Fun Impi' side. I know she is out on the deck every morning before I get up doing yoga and pilates through ipad download programs hooked to our sound system
I also know a number of sailors get up early with binoculars to have a good look which makes her fume
impi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2012, 08:06   #20

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

A few months ago I bought a set of "Bodylastics" resistance bands for our vacation cruises and I'm also using them for most of the exercises at home (I used to use weights).
I use them at anchor and also use them underway, along with stretches, when I feel like I've been sitting too long and need to move.

They have a clip system, with the resistance (in pounds) for each color band stamped into each metal clip, so you can easily and quickly change resistance levels by adding or removing parallel bands. Each color is a different level, so for instance you can add 8 and 19 and 5 to get 32 pounds of resistance.
This is what I bought: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006NZZH18/ref=cm_cr_thx_view
It all is very well made and designed. It's a tremendous bargain. They also have a web site that shows workout videos using their product. I have used other resistance bands but they were junk compared with these. I have no personal or profit interest in the company. I'm just a satisfied customer spreading the word about a good product. Also good for travel although they must go in checked baggage; security won't let you bring elastic bands or straps as carry-on.
SailFastTri is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2012, 09:43   #21

Boat: Niagara 35
We just bought the trx and really like it
Old 14-09-2012, 09:49   #22

Boat: In the hunt again, unknown

Nice!

I wonder if any MMA types actually use the Bodylastics MMA set for training.
Khagan1227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2012, 11:17   #23

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

I find that during the active cruising or charter season, I don't really need to work out -- get adequate exercise sail, hauling the anchor, etc..., but during the off season I start to gain weight and get stiff. So, need to work out a bit then. No need to buy gear to work out -- just good old basic physical exercise works just fine.

...typed during the off-season as I sit here on my ass drinking a beer and surfing the net!
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2012, 21:43   #24

I bring kettlebells, gymnastic rings, running shoes, weight/chain belt, and some chalk. I also have a stand up paddleboard.

Whole mess fits in a milk crate, minus the paddleboard of course. I've been a quasi-competitive fitness guy (running, lifting) for years and this is the best I've been able to come up with blending portability and results.

Regarding the TRX training system:

You can use gymnastic rings to do everything the TRX can do, and more. It's cheaper and a year on the rings will do a hell of a lot more for you than a year with the TRX.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2012, 21:46   #25

Exercising underway is ludicrous. The two cardinal rules for fitness training are "safe and effective". If you're that insane about it and doing that many passages that you're going to lose your fitness, do laps around the boat with a paddleboard or swimming. Really not worth it; *very* few people are offshore that much.
Old 15-09-2012, 22:01   #26

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
I bring kettlebells, gymnastic rings, running shoes, weight/chain belt, and some chalk. I also have a stand up paddleboard.

Whole mess fits in a milk crate, minus the paddleboard of course. I've been a quasi-competitive fitness guy (running, lifting) for years and this is the best I've been able to come up with blending portability and results.

Regarding the TRX training system:

You can use gymnastic rings to do everything the TRX can do, and more. It's cheaper and a year on the rings will do a hell of a lot more for you than a year with the TRX.
This 40 something couple, who I would say are in the top 1% of being in shape, blogged about their use of the TRX, as well as their 'new toy'. It works for them, and they have been cruising for a couple of years now. It's a good read.
Old 15-09-2012, 22:14   #27

I read all their stuff a while ago and I suppose if you're intent on doing it on the boat then the TRX might work good. But just pop on the Olympics and look at the guys using rings. If they could get that kind of strength and agility from TRX, they would. Dips, pullups, levers, crosses; just hard to beat that kind of stuff.
Old 16-09-2012, 14:50   #28

Boat: s/v Zero To Cruising. PDQ 32 Altair Classic Catamaran

Hi all

I stumbled upon this thread via our blog's statistics page which shows that it linked to our site. Thanks to those who referenced our material.

Getting and staying fit isn't magic but it just doesn't happen by accident. One actually needs to work at it. For those who suggest that the day to day activity of cruising on a boat will keep them fit, I say that all depends upon your definition of fitness.

Yoga, as mentioned, can be great. It's not really our thing but we did employ yoga instructors from time to time at our gym to teach classes. When we did, I always attended their sessions. My wife, on the other hand, found it too slow for her. Oh well.

Here is our friend's boat-related Yoga site:

saltydogyoga.com/

For the poster who mentioned the gymnastic rings, there are definitely some beneficial exercises that you can do with them. We used to own a pair ourselves which we would attach to our chin-up bars or power rack, back when we lived on land. They are in no way as easy to rig up on the fly though nor are they as easy to adjust and as versatile as the TRX or its competitor, the aeroSling.

For some other ideas that you can do with limited space and resources, check out my my wife Rebecca's fitness blog:

StrengthPLUS.ca

Mike
Old 17-09-2012, 10:20   #29

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

I find you can get an amazing amount of exercise just by remaining standing for the duration of your watch. Some lively music helps if it's calm.
Old 17-09-2012, 10:24   #30

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by videobear View Post
Add the roller furling, windlass, and davits...and you'll be more attractive to crew!
So Doug - I gather that you intend for your female crew to deal with sail trim, anchoring, and launching/relaunching the dinghy. How's that plan working for you?

Tags
cruising