Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-08-2006, 11:05   #1
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
Ernesto-tossed boaters rescued

Ernesto-tossed boaters rescued | video

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. -- The U.S. Coast Guard rescued several boaters Wednesday night when they became stranded in the Atlantic while trying to outrun Ernesto off the coast of Brevard County.

A Coast Guard helicopter pulled two sailors off a boat in high winds as the vessel was being knocked around by rough surf in the Atlantic, FLORIDA TODAY news partner WKMG Local 6 News reported.

Officials said the boaters were trying to make it to the Bahamas but a main sail broke in the 26 mph wind and they lost all engine power.

"(The boaters) got caught up in Ernesto's wrath," Local 6's Jessica D'Onofrio said.

"They were obviously trying to outrun the storm," U.S. Coast Guard Petty Officer Chris Kelly said. "Losing power to their vessel could have been directly related to the storm or not but once they lost power then they were at the storm's mercy."

The men were airlifted to Port Canaveral. They were not seriously injured.

Sounds like clogged fuel filters. But losing their mainsail in 26 mph wind and 4-6 foot seas, has me scratching my head as does why they would make this trip in a well publicized Tropical Storm. They were pulled off their boat about 20 miles east of me, and I never saw more than 22 mph of wind here.

No spare fuel filters?

One comment about this news story... They weren't trying to outrun Ernesto if they were heading south. They were heading directly into a Tropical Storm!!

Perhaps they didn't think their trip through completely?

http://www.floridatoday.com/apps/pbc.../60831001/1086

Rick in Florida
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2006, 13:17   #2
jzk

If they had to be rescued in a 26mph wind it sounds like they weren't very well prepared for any kind of weather.
jzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2006, 20:39   #3
Kai Nui

?????! I have sailed my 8' dinghy in 26mph winds (Unfortunately I sailed it under, but still...) Sure doesn't sound rough to me. I guess it is a matter of what you are used to.