Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-05-2017, 07:59   #1
cruiser

Epoxy = Molten Lava in the Eye

Doing some epoxy fiberglass work the other day, working in a back locker lying down and working above my head. You get the picture.

I always wear safety goggles, well.... almost always. Well I thought I had them on but no, I forgot. One big drop of mixed epoxy landed square in my right eye; I'm not sure what hurt more the epoxy or washing it out the best I could with paint thinner (mineral spirits). Burned for 10 hours, then ended up with epoxy junk coming out of my eye for the next 36 hours or so, then finally back to normal. No harm done.

Wear safety googles.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2017, 08:05   #2

Boat: KH 49x, Custom
Re: Epoxy = Molten Lava in the Eye

OUCH!

That's truly an emergency situation. I'm glad you were able to get it all out.

I assume paint thinner is worse for your eyes than vinegar, so for all those working with epoxy: White Vinegar neutralizes epoxy.

Use it to clean uncured epoxy off your tools, or your skin. It burns like hell in your eye, though I think it would be safer than paint thinner.

I'm glad you made it through ok, and now I know that paint thinner won't melt my eye out of my head.

Cheers.
Paul.
GRIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2017, 08:09   #3
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by svquintana View Post
OUCH!

I don't know if paint thinner is worse for your eyes than vinegar, but for all those working with epoxy: White Vinegar neutralizes epoxy. Use it to clean it off your tools, or your skin. It burns like hell in your eye, though I think it would be safer than paint thinner.

I'm glad you made it through ok, and now I know that paint thinner won't melt my eye out of my head.

Cheers.
Paul.
Now you tell me. I have some vinegar onboard.

I also read online about this surfboard maker who used acetone to wash out his eye when the same thing happened. No long tern issues with that either, other than ouch!
Old 24-05-2017, 08:10   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

Holly crap! You didn't go to the emergency room?
That sends chills down my spine. I'm glad you're ok.

By the way, the correct term for removing epoxy is "Depoxy", as in "I had to depoxy my eyeball". I made that up, but everybody should use it.
Old 24-05-2017, 08:14   #5
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
Holly crap! You didn't go to the emergency room?
That sends chills down my spine. I'm glad you're ok.

By the way, the correct term for removing epoxy is "Depoxy", as in "I had to depoxy my eyeball". I made that up, but everybody should use it.
If I could even find an emergency room near this small town in Italy, I'd just be treated by someone like myself anyway.

I'm a Registered Nurse.
Old 24-05-2017, 08:15   #6

Boat: Currently in between

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
I think that is the great New word for the day! It gets my vote.
Old 24-05-2017, 08:17   #7
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Bacchus View Post
I think that is the great New word for the day! It gets my vote.
Yes, I was working with more of de poxy just a short time ago.

Goggles worn.
Old 24-05-2017, 08:33   #8
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

OUCH. nope frikking OUCH
glad you are ok. stay that way
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2017, 09:07   #9

Boat: Cabo Rico 38 / Bayfield 32

Glad you're ok. Thanks for the reminder to always wear eye pro. I can't count the times I've been lucky to not have the same thing happen to me. I've done "a lot" of overhead epoxy layups. I'll be wearing eye-pro from here on.
Saltyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2017, 09:09   #10

Boat: Island Packet 32 Keel/CB

One epoxy trick I have used over the years is to surface it with a polyethylene film (Visqueen in the US). It will stick to the layup when green but releases completely after curing leaving a slick surface.

Working overhead you can lay up on the film and then fit both layup and poly to the desired area. Obviously you must come up with a means to overcome gravity with vacuum bagging the ultimate.

If you haven't tried it, get a sandwich bag, a little mat, and some epoxy and give it a go. Don't work with polyester though.
Frankly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2017, 09:28   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I am not telling you to put it in your eye, but regular old rubbing alcohol will thin uncured epoxy.
Good Lord never put acetone in your eye, I thought that meant almost instant blindness? Dissolves or clouds the Cornea or something?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2017, 09:43   #12
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Not play I told you so, and this is NOT just for the OP. I'm sure he was in pain and that his brain short circuited. That is why we read before.

NEVER use hazardous chemicals without reading the precautions!! OSHA requires that MSDS sheets be shipped with haz mats, and they are ALWAYS available on line.

The idea that someone (the OP, a register nurse!) would pour solvents in their eye without the slightest idea of either what the solvent would do or whether it would help (mineral spirits does nothing for epoxy) is completely mind-blowing. The OP could as easily have blinded himself as done any good.

For epoxy, the MSDS is clear: Flush with water for 15 minutes, then contact a doctor. In the case of mixed epoxy, a solution of 1 tsp white vinegar to 1cup water is an old school conjunctivitis remedy and would stop the epoxy cure and speed wash-out. The vinegar is only needed on the first few rinses. Then just water for 15 minutes.

Always keep vinegar handy when working with epoxy. I hate the smell and never use it on a salad, so my wife laughs when I wash my hands with it, but coming from a chemist, it is the right, safe solution for epoxy clean up.

I hope this thread has helped someone.
Old 24-05-2017, 10:05   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

"NEVER use hazardous chemicals without reading the precautions!! OSHA requires that MSDS sheets be shipped with haz mats, and they are ALWAYS available on line."

It's a nice thought, but I know of nobody that reads them before an accident. Also the several pages of useless safety info that comes at the front of equipment manuals now. I assumed they're written by lawyers fearful of layoffs.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2017, 10:19   #14
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
Not play I told you so, and this is NOT just for the OP. I'm sure he was in pain and that his brain short circuited. That is why we read before.

NEVER use hazardous chemicals without reading the precautions!! OSHA requires that MSDS sheets be shipped with haz mats, and they are ALWAYS available on line.

The idea that someone (the OP, a register nurse!) would pour solvents in their eye without the slightest idea of either what the solvent would do or whether it would help (mineral spirits does nothing for epoxy) is completely mind-blowing. The OP could as easily have blinded himself as done any good.

For epoxy, the MSDS is clear: Flush with water for 15 minutes, then contact a doctor. In the case of mixed epoxy, a solution of 1 tsp white vinegar to 1cup water is an old school conjunctivitis remedy and would stop the epoxy cure and speed wash-out. The vinegar is only needed on the first few rinses. Then just water for 15 minutes.

Always keep vinegar handy when working with epoxy. I hate the smell and never use it on a salad, so my wife laughs when I wash my hands with it, but coming from a chemist, it is the right, safe solution for epoxy clean up.

I hope this thread has helped someone.
You must have missed the part where I wrote that I forgot to put on my goggles... as in.... I thought I had them on. FYI: Mineral spirits or rather paint thinner does clean up uncured epoxy. It's what I've been using up until I read this thread and learned about vinegar.

One more point: Put a drop of epoxy in your eye and see just how easy it is to read the label on the can.... IN ITALIAN. Which brings up another point OSHA? I'm in Italy!

I'm not blind, no harm done. Thanks for your input.
Old 24-05-2017, 10:54   #15
cruiser

I just noticed, that was post #7000.

Tags
epoxy