Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 12-09-2015, 11:02   #31

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cabo Rico 38
Re: EPIRB Battery Replacement

Hmmm,

Now that I have the new EPIRB I'm having a problem coming up with contact names for registration. As someone with social anxiety disorder, I don't have many friends, just acquaintances.

I wonder how many others have a problem finding suitable SAR contacts?

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Old 12-09-2015, 15:24   #32
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Just leave them the CF link?

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 15:46   #33

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Don't think that would work. They want to talk to an individual. "Do you know so and so? Do you know if they are using their boat? Where'd they leave from and where were they going?"

I've got one contact. A lady that I know from my last job and is now friends of my wife. Just need to figure who would be the alternate. Perhaps my step daughter. Ya, that might work. This is what happens when you spend your life embracing peace and solitude. ⛵️

Rich

Old 12-09-2015, 16:23   #34
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Sorry, that was a joke. We on CF don't like you anyway.

(That was also a joke)

Mark (not joking)

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 16:26   #35

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Sure Mark,

That explains why so many threads die after I post. 😜

Old 12-09-2015, 17:03   #36
Certifiable Refitter/Senior Wannbe

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Van DeStat Super Dogger 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabo_sailor View Post
Sure Mark,

That explains why so many threads die after I post. 😜

Well I note you do have 6 CF friends!

Does your wife not have another friend or acquaintance you could put of the form / database?
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 17:22   #37

Boat: 50' Herreshoff Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
If yours is that old, you may find that upgrading to a new one will also allow you to actually be found if you ever need to use it.

Mark
Some friends of ours gave us an EPIRB they found on their boat. The battery expired in 2004. It still tested ok. I looked it up online and it's a 406 with GPS, and I don't think they get any better than that. I put a new battery in it for about $110.
Old 12-09-2015, 17:55   #38

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

$110 is pretty good for effectively a new epirb with gps. Well done.

(I don't care what everyone else says, I think your ok ��)
Old 12-09-2015, 19:21   #39
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

cabo-
You can revise the NOAA EPRIB contact form online as often as you please, so if you don't have contacts yet, go with the rest. As you think of one (or more) you can add them on. I put down a couple of folks who will always know if I'm going to be gone. They may not know the details, but they can verify that I'm out on a boat someplace, and that should give the USCG some idea the EPIRB isn't just drifting around by itself.

I've got mixed feeling about ACR, very mixed. Yes, for ages they were a prime military supplier and the original Firefly lights (with their expensive batteries) were untouched. Then they had a EPRIB recall (units displayed a good test light, but actually sent out no signal, oops) and in one unit, I saw the brass fitting that was pressed into the plastic base, to hold each of the four corner seal screws down, had started to spall out the plastic. That's a simple design manufacturing DEFECT, pressing the fitting into the plastic with too much pressure. Their response? Its out of warranty, not their problem. Techically...concealed defects are often still in warranty irregardless, but any really responsible manufacturer will at least offer to make SOME accommodation because of it. Dunno. They don't give me a warm fuzzy feeling, either for quality control, or customer care. At least not on the civilian market.
Old 12-09-2015, 21:56   #40

Boat: Open 50

I know this is an old thread...3 years ago I did a little research and ended up with an Ocean Signal e100g unit. Mostly due to the user replaceable battery. Note the rules for SOLAS vs. non-SOLAS vessels. From the manual:

6.3 Battery Replacement
The EPIRB is supplied with a non-hazardous 9V Lithium battery pack. It is recommended
that this pack be replaced every 5 years, assuming that the EPIRB has not been used for
any emergency use - if the EPIRB is operated for any purposes OTHER than the self tests,
the battery should be replaced to ensure the correct operating life of the EPIRB during an
emergency situation.
If the expiry date marked on the battery pack has been reached then it must be replaced to
ensure correct operating life of the EPIRB during an emergency situation. Always use an
Ocean Signal LB2E battery to replace the existing battery. Failure to use the correct bat-
tery may result in the EPIRB failing to perform correctly.
For SOLAS vessels it is recommended that the battery is replaced at the time of the Shore
Based Maintenance. Batteries should only be replaced by trained personnel with access to
the required test equipment to ensure correct operation after the battery exchange.
For non-SOLAS vessels, including recreational vessels, the user may replace the battery
themselves, or use an approved service
agent. Detailed
battery replacement instructions
are provided with each new battery.

Yes, I popped the battery off the bottom of the unit to check it out. Pretty much idiot proof. If you are out there maintaining your boat, replacing water pumps, etc. but think you shouldn't can't replace your EPIRB battery, I don't know what to say. I've hired plenty of pros do work that I know I could have done a better job on. Many just don't care. I look forward to replacing my battery in 2 years.

Mal Reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 22:04   #41

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal Reynolds View Post
I know this is an old thread...3 years ago I did a little research and ended up with an Ocean Signal e100g unit. Mostly due to the user replaceable battery. Note the rules for SOLAS vs. non-SOLAS vessels. From the manual:

6.3 Battery Replacement
The EPIRB is supplied with a non-hazardous 9V Lithium battery pack. It is recommended
that this pack be replaced every 5 years, assuming that the EPIRB has not been used for
any emergency use - if the EPIRB is operated for any purposes OTHER than the self tests,
the battery should be replaced to ensure the correct operating life of the EPIRB during an
emergency situation.
If the expiry date marked on the battery pack has been reached then it must be replaced to
ensure correct operating life of the EPIRB during an emergency situation. Always use an
Ocean Signal LB2E battery to replace the existing battery. Failure to use the correct bat-
tery may result in the EPIRB failing to perform correctly.
For SOLAS vessels it is recommended that the battery is replaced at the time of the Shore
Based Maintenance. Batteries should only be replaced by trained personnel with access to
the required test equipment to ensure correct operation after the battery exchange.
For non-SOLAS vessels, including recreational vessels, the user may replace the battery
themselves, or use an approved service
agent. Detailed
battery replacement instructions
are provided with each new battery.

Yes, I popped the battery off the bottom of the unit to check it out. Pretty much idiot proof. If you are out there maintaining your boat, replacing water pumps, etc. but think you shouldn't can't replace your EPIRB battery, I don't know what to say. I've hired plenty of pros do work that I know I could have done a better job on. Many just don't care. I look forward to replacing my battery in 2 years.
You look forward to changing your battery in 2 years time

Seriously dude, go sailing. Find something else to do.
Old 12-09-2015, 22:33   #42

Sorry if this is a bit off topic. But it seems that ACR is one of the dozens of respected marine equipment companies that have been merged or bought out. So far, I don't know of a single case where this has been good for the customers.

In ACR's case they were bought out by a private equity firm in 2012.

https://www.acrartex.com/news/press-...ehman-company/

The press release said that the General Manager of ACR, Michael Wilkerson, would continue in the same role , BUT a quick Internet search shows he's now works 2000 miles away from ACR's Ft. Lauderdale facility in Frisco, Texas doing M&A work for ACR/Drew Marine.

While I obviously don't know what happened at ACR, in most cases private equity companies have a game plan to replace top management with more "numbers oriented" guys who are good at cutting costs - often from engineering and customer support. Within two years, most of the "old team" is gone.

So if ACR seem like a "different" company over the last few years - they probably are.
Old 13-09-2015, 01:04   #43

Boat: Island Packet 40

I think the life span on EPIRB batteries is the period of time it takes for them to self discharge by about 20% consequently the EPIRB will still work for a fair while after the posted expiration date, however they will not transmit for as long.

I have one which expired in June and it was actually cheaper to buy a new one than send it back to the manufacturer for battery replacement. I am reasonable certain that the batteries could be replaced for less than $50 and am quiet capable of doing so myself and the reason the manufacturer quotes such a high price for doing so is so that they do not have to do any more than place the orders in China and bank the receipts for the new one rather than all the messy customer interactions of ship-replace-return the batteries in the old one.

Although I am not comfortable with throwing away a perfectly sound device I have decided to become resigned to living in a throw-away world as the alternative of being concerned all the time re it's wastefulness is a pain in the butt.

Tags
battery, epirb, men

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: