Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-06-2014, 17:15   #1

Epipen Offshore?

Could be a real lifesaver and I have seen it included in a few medication lists, but my cost is like $400 and I have been spending a lot of money lately which makes me think twice.

Nobody onboard has any allergies and I don't think their are many poisonous snakes where we are going. Yeah or nay?
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 17:32   #2

Boat: Catalina 30
Re: Epipen Offshore?

If you have a doctor that knows you well enough and knows that you will be traveling to foreign lands I have seen them "prescribe" them to you so you can carry them. Worth asking anyways. Not like its a narcoticnarcotic.
Old 11-06-2014, 17:50   #3

I understand that Anaphylaxis can occur as the result of a reaction to penicillin and possibly other antibiotics, which is why I think it's on the list. Like I said, no one onboard has any allergies we know of but we will be packing a variety of antibiotics, hence my asking.
Old 11-06-2014, 18:54   #4

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Have carried them aboard and had them at home (remote). Doc friend prescibed them. Don't remember them being that spendy. Fortunately have never had to use them.

Won't do you any good against snake bite to my knowledge.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 21:36   #5

When I was teaching school we did a sailing strip on which one of my students was anaphylaxic to shell fish. There was a marine biology component to the trip. She could not be more 25 feet away from me. She carried the epipen.

In the school we had student with numerous allergies. Several of us had first aid and knew how to administer the pen. One of the teachers had severe allergies, had a pen, and made sure the some of us knew how to use it.

If a crew members has allergies of any sort, they should let you know. I ask all of mine about any medical issues and medications. I also tell them about mine (neurally mediated syncope).
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 07:38   #6

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

An epipen won't help with a poisonous snakebite. They also have a shelf life around a year or so, so you will need to get new ones regularly.

We considered them, but neither of us have any allergies, so concluded that it wasn't necessary (risk/trouble ratio was very low).

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 07:44   #7

I did see a bumble bee once far offshore but he looked super tired. No allergies onboard so was I thinking skip it, as 400 bucks practically buys another EPRIB. Just wondered if there was something I was missing.

Cheers
Old 12-06-2014, 07:56   #8

Boat: 1997 Catalina 42 MkII

Primatene Mist used to be sold and it is epinephrine. I know they discontinued the regular one (due to the CFCs) but I think there are replacements that are available and I've heard that it is a good replacement for an epipen.
annsni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 08:16   #9

Boat: Outbound 44

Epinephrine plus a syringe is not expensive. Far far cheaper than the $400 pen.
Old 12-06-2014, 08:56   #10

You know it never hurts to be for prepared every possible eventuality but there has to be a limit somewhere. I think I am with colemj that our risk is low and I think we will pass.

That fact that it has a limited shelf life means that it is that much less likely to be used, although I wouldn't otherwise be against having it except for the cost. Primatene seems worth looking at.

I wouldn't have considered it in the first place had I not seen it on a couple lists, the concern about Anaphylaxis from a reaction to antibiotics is one I will follow up with my doctor about.

She only gave me the script because I prompted her, because it was on a list, not because it occurred to her it was something we needed. I think she was thinking sure, why not? Can't hurt.
Old 12-06-2014, 13:38   #11

Boat: None at the moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by annsni View Post
Primatene Mist used to be sold and it is epinephrine. I know they discontinued the regular one (due to the CFCs) but I think there are replacements that are available and I've heard that it is a good replacement for an epipen.
You beat me to it. I used to carry Primatine Mist for that purpose when I worked as a fly fishing guide. Fortunately, I never had the chance to find out if it was a decent substitute for an Epipen, but it is indeed 100% epinephrine. They did yank it due to the CFCs, but I think it may be available now with an alternate propellant. Could be wrong about that though...
DaBod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 13:42   #12

We carried two of them, one is still in my backpack. I think a lot of people focus on the "ship's medicine" but the reality is that you can get bit by some nasty creature while you're two hours out on a hike.

From what I've personally seen, the odds are much higher on getting stung/bit away from the boat than on it.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 13:43   #13

Boat: Jeanneau 57

I just re-stocked EpiPens this season, as my old ones went cloudy and expired. About $100 for a 2-pack in the Caribbean. While I needed a prescription for them in St. Martin (both sides), when you get further down-island they become over-the-counter and cheaper. I have no allergies, but never know who might be aboard and one day I might discover something to which I go anaphylactic at a most inopportune moment.
Old 12-06-2014, 13:50   #14

I very much like the idea of the "ship's medicine chest" being stocked for as may different scenarios as possible. Just because you don't have any allergies doesn't mean you neighbor doesn't. Never know, could make a difference in someone's life.

Does epinephrine need to be refrigerated? Apparently not if it's in your backpack. Does refrigeration extend it?
Old 12-06-2014, 14:34   #15

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Ideally, Epi-pens should be kept at cool room temps. The ones available here in Oz, are about $125, and last for one year.

Probably a good idea to carry, as sometimes you discover an allergy you didn't know you have., and some antibiotics you build up to being allergic to. Like if it makes you itch, and/or gives you a rash, you should discontinue use and tell the doc, and carry something else in the future.

Ann

Ann

Tags
offshore