Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 05-04-2013, 18:18   #16

Boat: Swarbrick 40
Re: Emergency underwater hull repair!!!

Yes, it would just reduce the flow until you could get something better, Perhaps there are mats available that have a skirt around the edge with no suction cups and you might be able to squeeze in some silicon once its in place.
I think the biggest advantage would be that it will hold itself in place, and you will always no where to find it.

Old 05-04-2013, 18:36   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Read the recent Wooden Boat about a guy saving a wooden buy boat using plywood and a 5 gallon bucket of 5200. It was on the hard, but had to go in and leaked badly.

Old 05-04-2013, 20:41   #18

Boat: 47' Steel Roberts Cutter

here is a product that showed up at the local boat show this year. I had to have it, it is so innovative and effective. won't handle large gashes or anything longer than about 4", although there's nothing stopping you from using multiples in a big hole.

The RuptureSeal

at the boat show, they had a big drum and a variety of axes, punches, and other mean hole-making devices. You can take a whack at the drum - punch a ragged hole allowing water to gush out - then FROM EITHER SIDE you stick in this device, pull the tie and the flow stops. period. awesome. I have a mix of sizes on my boat now.

I have no commercial ties to this company, but I love the product. Will carry a few in my truck too just in case I see an accident where fuel or other liquids are being spilled thru a puncture. check it out... the video tells it all. I believe it's made close to us - Prince Edward Island I think.
Old 05-04-2013, 20:52   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1969 Pearson 35 #108 & 1976 Sabre 28
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

A bit of canvas and LifeCalk or 5200. Smear the canvas with the caulk, jump over the side and plaster it against the hull. LifeCalk and 5200 actually require water to cure. In normal above the water use, they pull the moisture out of the air to cure. That makes them perfect for making underwater repairs. IF you use 5200 and give it a day or two to cure, you have a permanent fix.

Sillycone belongs in Boobs, it will not stick or cure underwater.
Old 05-04-2013, 21:09   #20

yep - good old canvas and 5200 is great. but - you have to jump over the side to apply it. this rupture seal thingy can be inserted from the inside just as easily. no need to get fully wet and beaten up.

there is no silicone to cure - it's already cured. it's just a soft silicone pad (boob if you prefer ) that mushes out and seals under the tension of the nylon tie. it ain't gonna last for very long - but it would certainly tame things down quickly and give time for more permanent repairs to be made.

on my boat, which is steel, I have been thinking about making up a collision mat that has some of those very high strength magnets in it, sewn in the edges under a rubberized, truck-tarp style fabric. that could work well I think. storing the damn thing might be the hardest thing to do. who wants a whack of high strength magnets on their boat? messes with all things magnetic (compass, heading sensors, etc) pretty badly. but, I might be able to store it stuck to the underside of the deckhead in the forepeak. that ought to be far enough away...
Old 05-04-2013, 21:43   #21

Boat: Solar 40ft Cat :)

I have really been thinking about getting two salvage floats for my boat. Just have them deflated and stored flat under the bridge deck. If anything bad happens or is about to happen (like that other thread, no steering/engine heading into breakwater rocks), simply inflate them.
Now the boat is sitting on the floats. They are really not that expensive $1k or heavy. Can probably rig something to do the job for a lot less than commerical units.
It also gives you something to loan/rent to someone else in trouble.

Subsalve Salvage Pontoons from Dive Rescue International
Old 05-04-2013, 21:52   #22

This plug will work on many sizes and shapes of holes. You might need to stuff two or three plugs together. Easy to cut in any way and to shape as desired ... and it floats too ...

Link to Defender: Forespar StaPlug Soft Cone-Shaped Emergency Plug
Old 09-04-2013, 05:39   #23

Boat: Jeanneau 57

I recently assisted in stopping a charter boat from sinking after they'd got the dinghy painter in the prop shaft, the dinghy was to the side and it ripped out part of their P-Strut and by the time I got there the floorboards were already awash (not much of a bilge on those boats). After contacting others in the anchorage to come help pump out (at one time we had 9 people aboard keeping up with the water ingress), I got my dive gear and myself and another gent were under the boat and using plastic shopping and garbage bags and a dull kitchen knife to stuff the bags into the irregularly shaped hole and into the (bent) shaft exit. Later on when the charter company came with diver and epoxy the leak had already been stopped.

The epoxy in the picture covers our plastic bag fix. The last picture shows part of the problem on the inside with just a touch of bag showing.

None of the commercial products that I know of would have helped in this case; it just goes to show that improvisation is key in situations like this.
Old 09-04-2013, 06:05   #24
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Emergency underwater hull repair!!!

Varying size's of 1/4" ply starting at 6" diameter with a hole drilled in the middle and a 6" bolt epoxied into the hole with and 2x2 wood pieces twice the length of the ply.. hole in centre..
Get holed.. shove a towel in to ease the flood... grab ply smear well with Sika and shove bolt through the hole from outside.. inside put wooden bar over bolt and tighten with nut till flow stops... good for smaller sized holes...

Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 10:27   #25
Guy

Boat: Seafarer36c

How many of you carry an axe? You are going to probably need one to get to the damage on the inside.
Old 09-04-2013, 10:31   #26

Got an axe. And a hand saw. And a big crowbar and pry bar. And a fully charged 18v cordless sawzall with spare batts and blades. and a cordless drill with hole saws. oh, and since our boat is steel, I also have 3 grinders, one setup with a slitting blade at all times. Never know when you're going to have to cut away some narsty bit of metal or rigging...!

...if I need to get at it, I'll get at it!
Old 09-04-2013, 16:30   #27
Wayfaring Mariner

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Skookum 53'

I like splash zone and 5200 for fixes, with any kind of fabric it will seal the hole up in a hurry. I'm with Rebelheart, think! Stop the big rush, then use yer noggin. small bits of thin plywood will serve well in those circumstances. I always keep a couple of gallons of splash zone and a bunch of tubes of 5200. And all the need implements of destruction.
Old 09-04-2013, 23:25   #28

Boat: 42' Colvin Gazelle
Plywood squares with 5200 fast set applied frome the inside, take time to scrub area with scotcbrite or wire brush before applying. Then apply pressure with bottle jack or lead brick from ballast until set. Hydraulic cement works well too, mix it thick and use lots of pressure on a plywood patch. A piece of rubber gasket under a lead brick will slow the leak while you are preparing patch. These work! Had seven patches in my bilge at one time before I got the money together to replace the rotten steel in the bottom.
Old 10-04-2013, 00:38   #29

Boat: Grand Soleill 41 - Gali
A good solution to such situation is polyurethane canister. They are sold in small spray canisters for home insulation. Once sprayed into and around the hole it expands and hardens. It works underwater
Old 10-04-2013, 06:03   #30

I have a piece of 4x6heavy duty canvas that t have attached some "hogging lines" to the grommets. The lines are sized to match my hull configuration.

In an emergency you toss it over the bow and wrestle it to the damage area where the water pressure will suck it in for a stop gap measure while you assemble other materials for a longer fix.

Perhaps I have $30.00usd invested.

Tags
emergency, hull

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: