Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-07-2016, 12:33   #1

Boat: Catalina 30mkI trbs
Elide Fireball Extinguisher?

Just saw a video on this Fire suppression device- ELIDE FIREBALL approx $250USD
http://www.digitaltrends.com/cool-tech/elide-fire-ball/

Has anyone seen or used one? German Company, manufactured overseas (Thailand, I think). The ICEKEY product is a knockoff inoperable fake (at $49 it would be, wouldn't it?)
Amazon sells in the states.
Interested-if it works, its possibly a great fire suppression concept for larger engine rooms and sailboat cabins?
According to the specs, it engages at 159degreesF, if in contact with flame ( heat without flame doesn't set it off, apparently.)
heres a video: https://youtu.be/-Pn9Y0u3LwA
WaterfrontcplUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 00:26   #2

Boat: Beneteau First 345
Re: Elide Fireball Extinguisher?

In Germany you get it for 100€ incl. VAT: www.elide-fire.com

I'm tempted as well especially above the engine, but a bit sceptical it might ruin it in case of faulty activation.
PiXL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2020, 07:11   #3

Boat: Colegate 26

This product is making the rounds on Reddit again so I thought I'd resurrect this thread to get any updated comments from the boating crowd. It really seems like having these in engine rooms is a good idea, but I'm not sure how often modern boats have engine fires, or even what kind of fire it would be. It might not even trigger one of these things. And the detonation in an enclosed space might have its own negative connotations. Especially in a space already weakened by fire.

What do the old salts think about this?
LoudMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2020, 07:43   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

Well, I'm old, and my dog thinks I'm salty. But I'm also a past University Fire Marshal and a manufacturer's association certified fire extinguisher technician.

This little bomb disperses dry agent from a single location. That works in a box with fire around the inside, as in the video, but misses a lot when it goes off in a space such as an engine room. A hand held ABC exinguisher lets you move about aiming it into the spaces you missed on the first shot. It also allows you to renew the coverage if it re-ignites.

The usual solution to the problem with an automatic extinguisher is to use several origins and keep going for awhile (e.g. sprinklers), or use a gas the displaces air in all the small spaces (Halon, CO2).

In other words, it has the advantage of being automatic, but as an automatic it may not be the best choice. Even a ABC with a fusible link mounted above your engine will keep making an unholy mess for a longer period.

There are other details, such as depth of coverage of spilled fuel, but I doubt that this extinguisher will revolutionize fire fighting. It also will not satisfy the US Coast Guard.