Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-01-2009, 13:11   #46

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertcateran View Post
The pulse is pretty short and your own capacitance allows a reasonable quantity of electrons to pass. The shock is certainly there as rubberised boots are not sufficient to stop some shock. It is certainly stronger if you have a good return circuit. Try holding onto a high tension lead even if standing on an inch of dry rubber.
Alright dag-burn-it..

I dont know how it works but it does...wanting to prove I was right and MarkJ was wrong I drug a wooden sawhorse over to my fence..got up on it and grabbed the wire..defintly got shocked..albeit not as healthy as wet socking feet on the ground..must have something to do with the above capacitance thingy.

So Mark I owe you an apoligy...now if you dont mind I have to go get some clean socks on.

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2009, 13:48   #47
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
got up on it and grabbed the wire..defintly got shocked..albeit not as healthy as wet socking feet on the ground.
The important question is did you lose any ideas of stealing cattle? Was the shock a credible threat?
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2009, 03:12   #48
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillraining View Post
I dont know how it works but it does...wanting to prove I was right and MarkJ was wrong ....
So Mark I owe you an apoligy...now if you dont mind I have to go get some clean socks on.
Oh goodie I can bask in a pool of glory for a moment

You must have a funny farm if you have wooden horses.....

Golly, I'm funny

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2009, 05:44   #49

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'
The electric fence idea is old technology. Take a look at Tasers, a more modern refinement of the same concept with better directionality, a little more horsepower, and a bit more discriminating.

Cheers
LakeSuperior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2009, 06:08   #50

What happens when the harbor master or local fisherman stops by late to tell you that your anchor is dragging and that you are close to a coral head? This doesn't sound like a good way to get off on the right foot.
TexSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2009, 06:32   #51
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bristol 35 Bellesa
While this thread is vaguely on topic let's not start going down the escalation path. It never goes well.

Thank you
FrankZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2009, 20:26   #52

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Get a dog or a very agressive cat.
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2009, 06:05   #53

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexSail View Post
What happens when the harbor master or local fisherman stops by late to tell you that your anchor is dragging and that you are close to a coral head? This doesn't sound like a good way to get off on the right foot.
Surely if you can afford the juice to power the fence, you will have your GPS on with anchor alarm set. I personally can't imagine any legitimate reason for someone to climb over a fence to get on your boat uninvited. And if they tried, then a little zap would be preferable to a dog-bite or tacks in the foot.
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2009, 06:38   #54

Boat: Hylas 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodesman View Post
Surely if you can afford the juice to power the fence, you will have your GPS on with anchor alarm set. I personally can't imagine any legitimate reason for someone to climb over a fence to get on your boat uninvited. And if they tried, then a little zap would be preferable to a dog-bite or tacks in the foot.
I agree with Lodesman wholeheartedly. My boat is my castle, and nobody should board it unannounced. If they get shocked trying, it may teach them a valuable lesson.
john540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2009, 08:34   #55

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodesman View Post
We've boarded a boat when the crew was ashore to stop it dragging and ending up on the shore...I hope others would do the same for me.

Just a note...it was on Guam...I suspect some weddings were coming up and the crew was just doing there duty.....!
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2009, 08:50   #56

If the crew's ashore, then how do they get back on board if the fence is up and electrified?
Old 31-01-2009, 20:06   #57
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
We've boarded a boat when the crew was ashore to stop it dragging and ending up on the shore...I hope others would do the same for me.
We have done the same as well. Passive attack systems cut both ways.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2009, 20:09   #58

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
I have visited this thread from time to time and am amazed with which people feel the need to protect themselves right after decided to throw caution to the wind and go cruising. I wonder if Harry Pigeon or Bernard Moitessier read this thread, what they might say? Perhaps, stay home if you are afraid of being attacked.

GordMay:-I think the time has come for Cruisers' Psyc 101. It would be nice comparing notes.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 05:23   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
I have visited this thread from time to time and am amazed with which people feel the need to protect themselves right after decided to throw caution to the wind and go cruising. I wonder if Harry Pigeon or Bernard Moitessier read this thread, what they might say? Perhaps, stay home if you are afraid of being attacked.
What a simplistic and dismissive thing to say. Would you say the same thing about people wanting to take liferafts, epirbs and flares - perhaps, stay home if you are afraid of being wrecked.
Old 01-02-2009, 09:09   #60

Boat: Panda/Baba 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post

GordMay:-I think the time has come for Cruisers' Psyc 101. It would be nice comparing notes.
One of the mechanisms evolved for risk analysis involves being able to think of an example. If you're told that the watering-hole is dangerous, it 'feels true' if you saw uncle Charley dragged off by alligators there last year. In the moden age of communications, we get all sorts of spectacular stories and visuals of danger (they grab attention, after all) that give us all 'examples' to think about, making us think things are more dangerous than they really are.

It's part of human nature to obsess over spectacular dangers that are unlikely, while being dismissive of the dangers that are likely. This is why people will willingly sleep with a taser under their pillow (I saw on TV that a home invasion happened in Seattle last week) while needing a law to stop them from talking/texting on their cell phone while driving.
anotherT34C is offline   Reply With Quote