Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-01-2009, 23:44   #16

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
I dont know if I call it stupid Bill but its not with out its challenges..

I plan on figuring out how to adapt your plain old auto alarm to both sound its siren and fire up the deck flood lamps..I think bringing attention to the situation would be more efective then mild stimulus type of deterrents IMHO..guns wont do in a lot of countrys..youll face worse charges then the bergler if you use them...The dogs a good idea if you want to deal with one big enough while crusing.

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2009, 23:48   #17

I think this idea has possibilities if it is cheap enough and quick and easy to set up.I think some here are dissing it because they are thinking of their local situation.This idea is for the tropics where you need the boat wide open to sleep (us bums who cant afford generators and air con).Who can predict when and where the machette killers will try their luck?Could the one unit protect your companion way and the front hatch?I bet you could easy string something in front of it to remind you it was active.
nonam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2009, 00:11   #18

Guys...ever see a bird sitting on a 7200 volt transmission line?..how can it do that?..answer he is not grounded.

Yes the fencer idea can work but the intruder will have to ground himself via some way to a common ground so you'll end up running two wires that he has to make contact with at the same time or else use something existing like your life lines as the ground if non coated..or what ever...otherwise it aint going to work.

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Old 28-01-2009, 00:34   #19

Boat: PETERSON 44
Tesla coil

Im thinking of putting a Tesla coil on the mast head. The advantages are obvious. It could replace the anchor light. No one is breaking into a boat with this thing on. Id be the shoe in winner at the parade of lights. could be used to catch fish.Girls love guys with big Teslas. I have never seen this done on a boat. Any help setting this up would be great.
check it out

http://blogs.sun.com/kevin/entry/tes...car_protection
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2009, 00:46   #20

Would a wet cloth on the cockpit floor do the ground?
nonam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2009, 01:17   #21

Yep as long as you ran a wire from it to the fencers ground termal..it would work very well indeed if sopping wet.

Old 28-01-2009, 01:20   #22

One thing that hasn't been talked about is what type of galvanic stray curent issues one may create if hooked to any part boat.

Old 28-01-2009, 01:49   #23
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillraining View Post
Yep as long as you ran a wire from it to the fencers ground termal..it would work very well indeed if sopping wet.
Cattle dont have sopping wet feet! Their toe nails are insulators so why does it work on a farm but not on a precious boat?

Someone just go buy a cattle fence and then test it by inviting the anchorage over for Sundowners

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2009, 02:23   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Cattle dont have sopping wet feet! Their toe nails are insulators so why does it work on a farm but not on a precious boat?

Someone just go buy a cattle fence and then test it by inviting the anchorage over for Sundowners

The soft tissue exposed on the sole of their hooves called the frog is in direct contact with the ground..same as horses..I do believe they get feeling through the hoof to some degree as well..my horses react to the fence more with shoes on the with out..might be the nails driven closer to the lamain though.

Old 28-01-2009, 03:42   #25

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
I'm thinking a pressure sensitive mat that triggers an audio alarm is the way to go.

I don’t think pissing a bad guy off by giving him an electric shock while he's still on my pride and joy is going to be helpful.
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2009, 04:39   #26

Boat: Sayer40 Shilo
Send a message via MSN to pulyajibon Send a message via Skype™ to pulyajibon
If you have ever been hit by an electric fence you wont be going back for seconds once is enough.
You can attatch them to a seperate 12v battery and earth it back to the battery, no other earth is required.
Look in a rural supply store for different types. Look an ebay under electric fence.
Never pee on one.
Old 28-01-2009, 15:05   #27
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
In the States, some businesses have tried to do that intruders have sucessfully sued for their injuries.

You would have to put up a warning sign saying it was in use.

Bad...Bad....idea.
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2009, 15:34   #28

Boat: Panda/Baba 40
Not such a good idea. As others have written, you need a potential difference to make a current. A fiberglass hull won't do as a ground. How about a bigger lock? For the paranoid, a well locked up sailboat can make a pretty sturdy fortress.
anotherT34C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2009, 17:02   #29
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38
Now here is a nifty little book that would seem apropo of the topic.

Amazon.com: Electronic Gadgets for the Evil Genius : 28 Build-It-Yourself: Robert Iannini, Robert Iannini: Books

Check out the table of contents for around page 277 and page 285.

My personal favorite from this series is for a wee microwave cannon to take out obnoxious stereo equipment in an otherwise quiet anchorage.

The obvious purpose of the original post IMO was the search for a non-lethal security system. I cannot vouch for the effectiveness of any of these published circuits or even their legality. Personally I would be willing to at least investigate. The concept of surprise is not to be dismissed too easily. That concept is one that I believe is at the core of the original post.

Rich
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2009, 17:10   #30

Boat: Jarcat 5, 5m, Mandy
Quote:
Originally Posted by pulyajibon View Post
If you have ever been hit by an electric fence you wont be going back for seconds once is enough.
You can attatch them to a seperate 12v battery and earth it back to the battery, no other earth is required.
Look in a rural supply store for different types. Look an ebay under electric fence.
Never pee on one.
Our kids used to have their version of chicken, pissing on our electric fence between pulses. They never got zapped doing it. I am not sure if a stream of piss will actually conduct electricity unless very close, as it quickly breaks up into separate drops and is therefore not continuous.

I have no idea what the very short high voltage pulse would do to aluminium. I recall that when welding aluminium the AC helped lift the oxide before depositing the metal. It may do something nasty to metal surfaes like stainless or aluminium that rely on a tough oxide coating for protection
Robertcateran is offline   Reply With Quote