Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-01-2009, 17:15   #31

Boat: Jarcat 5, 5m, Mandy
Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherT34C View Post
Not such a good idea. As others have written, you need a potential difference to make a current. A fiberglass hull won't do as a ground. How about a bigger lock? For the paranoid, a well locked up sailboat can make a pretty sturdy fortress.
The pulse is pretty short and your own capacitance allows a reasonable quantity of electrons to pass. The shock is certainly there as rubberised boots are not sufficient to stop some shock. It is certainly stronger if you have a good return circuit. Try holding onto a high tension lead even if standing on an inch of dry rubber.
Robertcateran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2009, 17:19   #32

Boat: custom built 47' wooden trawler yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to quidam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillraining View Post
I'v got 2 miles of electric fence around my place..I dont know what kind of fence chargers or what kind of laws of physic you boys run down there but if you aint grounded here you wont get shocked..My fence is almost worthless by august due to dry ground resulting in poor grounding.
Yes, you must be grounded. Electricity 101.

I like the carpet tack method better.

That type of elitist thinking has ballooned the cost of boats, and cruising , far beyond what it need be, and beyond the reach of too many low income cruisers, for no benefit. --Brent Swain
quidam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2009, 20:21   #33

Boat: Bruce Roberts Spray, 36' Steel Junk-Rigged Schooner
pirate Crossbow...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadFish View Post
IMHO...

This is a stupid idea. I've had some bad ones in my day, but never purposely surrounded myself with an electrically charged object.

If you're that concerned with security, use a practical idea, like a heavy duty lock. If you need personal safety while aboard, get a dog and/or a gun.

Cheers

Bill
As a non-US citizen I can't get a gun when I'm there (though we did .22 rifle shooting at school in South Africa so I can shoot, but I won't be in SA any time soon to get a lisence), and getting a license for a gun in the uk is nigh on impossible unless u belong to a country estate rifle club... what are the law's on owning a crossbow (which I am rather proficient with, and the longbow) in the US and other countries? Would I have problems in customs at other ports? I do like the idea of one, as any pirates using sail would be a fine target for a flaming bolt...
Old 28-01-2009, 21:30   #34

Boat: S&S Hughes 38
Pretty sure spearguns and pellet guns are regarded as weapons,most likely crossbows also.
highseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2009, 21:36   #35

Here in the UK they are classed as 'offensive weapons' only if they are used as one. Just possession of one doesn't require a license, though they have recently changed the law for high powered air-rifles to be over 18 only...
Old 28-01-2009, 21:37   #36

But then a stick is also an offensive weapon according to the law here if its used as one...
Old 28-01-2009, 22:39   #37

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Gordy posted a long list..most island destinations seemed to ban spear guns. cross bows, bows etc.

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2009, 01:39   #38
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by quidam View Post
Yes, you must be grounded. Electricity 101.

I like the carpet tack method better.
YOU DON'T NEED TO BE GROUNDED!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wasnt grounded when I was zapped! I had boots on. The whole damn cattle fencey business ain't gunna work if all cattle nned sloshy feet and an electric wire into the ground. think about it - there must be a way they are working.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2009, 01:52   #39

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure
Here's the link to the commercial version: http://www.secure-marine.com/yacht/index.shtml
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2009, 03:22   #40

Boat: Lavranos 39 S/v Continental Drift
Thanks for all the replies. What I've learned is that not one person responding has "actually tried this"! I know the techno issues to make it work and I'm not looking for a gun/weapon discussion or alternitives. Just real life facts, did it work, cause corrosion, blow up radios, etc. Too many unanswered questions for me to consider trying it.
Cheers
bmartinsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2009, 06:02   #41
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
Too many unanswered questions for me to consider trying it.
Too many answered questions as well. This is a topic that comes up time and time again. The ultimate in aggressive attack defensive systems.

Plastics owls are cheaper and have comparable performance and similar mythical properties concerning a narrower variety of unwanted guests. People do buy and sell those.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2009, 08:30   #42

Boat: Panda/Baba 40
I looked into electric fences (just now). They work differently than I originally thought. They have an 'energizer' which sends out high voltage pulses (about ~1 sec) that terminate into a grounding pole (in our case, a wire into the water). In this case, you wouldn't need the 'victim' to be grounded.

Not sure what this would do to your zinc...
anotherT34C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2009, 09:20   #43

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
Interesting the way people approach possible risks when they plan to go off cruising.

Cruising for me is heading off over the sunset, sailing free, meeting new people with an open mind etc etc. With so many square miles of ocean to explore, its easy enough to avoid the bad spots - you just go elsewhere.

Surely thats an easier solution than carrying a stock of weapons, electric fences or even flaming crossbow bolts?

Cheers
JOHN
Old 29-01-2009, 09:50   #44

Boat: Panda/Baba 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagman View Post
Interesting the way people approach possible risks when they plan to go off cruising.

Cruising for me is heading off over the sunset, sailing free, meeting new people with an open mind etc etc. With so many square miles of ocean to explore, its easy enough to avoid the bad spots - you just go elsewhere.

Surely thats an easier solution than carrying a stock of weapons, electric fences or even flaming crossbow bolts?

Cheers
JOHN
Agree 100%. I'm far more scared of weather than I am of people.
anotherT34C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2009, 10:43   #45
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagman View Post
Interesting the way people approach possible risks when they plan to go off cruising...
JOHN
Why do we take risks and pursue adventure? Wouldn't it be easier and better to play safe and stay at home?

This will make an excellent topic for another discussion. I tried to open such as discussion < http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...gy-3233-2.html > back in 2006, but it wasn’t productive at that time.

Are there any adults wishing to try again?

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote