Old 20-08-2014, 07:31   #211
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon
Re: Ebola Fears in the Canary Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
It doesn't .

Just click on 'More' and the yellow one is at the bottom of the right column.
Otherwise just type in : followed by D (no gap)
Thanks SL!
Easist to type : D than squirrel around

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
Welcome back Cap.

I am happy to see the new emoticons, especially this one: .

I'm getting my butt kicked on a daily basis 'roun' heah.
THX crabby!
I'll beee needin' the white flag a lot too!
(picked ya up a new Red Drum sticker last time I was there!)

Oh man....

Mai Tai's fix everything...
Old 20-08-2014, 07:50   #212

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Ebola Fears in the Canary Islands

[THX crabby!
(picked ya up a new Red Drum sticker last time I was there!) ....[/QUOTE]

That is one cool fishing store! Truly Another Roadside Attraction.
Old 20-08-2014, 08:05   #213
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
[THX crabby!
(picked ya up a new Red Drum sticker last time I was there!) ....

That is one cool fishing store! Truly Another Roadside Attraction. [/QUOTE]

And great guys too !

Your sticker cost me a couple 'O bills in gear I "specifically didn't need"

I'll have my cpa run some numbers and figure out what your share is for the free sticker...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
Old 02-09-2014, 15:03   #214
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Here is a link to the latest news on the ebola front. I find the American news pretty lacking by comparison. I've been following this site for a few weeks and it strikes me as pretty good. No hysteria, just reporting.

Not a lot of good news here.

Ebola - Latest News on Ebola | Read Breaking News on Zee News
Old 03-09-2014, 08:06   #215
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: ebola fears in the canary islands,arc cancelled over ebola fears.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Amazing someone worries about ebola that we do not have in Canary Islands and says nothing about 2014 chikungunya outbreak in the Caribbean, that is a real threat and leaves very bad, very long lasting effects. Do not ask me how I know.

Chikungunya outbreaks - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

b.
The other day I heard a radio report of Chikungunya cases now being reported in Texas, coming from people who traveled to Caribbean (tourists).
Old 03-09-2014, 12:41   #216

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Navegante1105

Hi,all:
I live in Gran Canaria, I can sure You, nothing is worrying the Canarians about Ebola; Of course, You have to check this inmigrants coming from Africa, and the authorities take precautions when they arrive. But, until now, no one have come infected to the islands and also, eachtime we have less inmigrants arriving here. Three or four years ago, it was an important qty of inmigrants arriving. Now, very few.
So, ARC 2014 is not going to be suspended and, of course, there is no risk of Ebola in the Canaries. You can arrive here with your boats without any fear of.
Regards, Agustin.
Old 08-09-2014, 05:26   #217
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Looks like the US will be sending military assets. There is growing fear this thing may indeed spread.

Obama: U.S. military to provide equipment, resources to battle Ebola epidemic in Africa - The Washington Post
Old 08-09-2014, 11:23   #218
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Well, given that the UN and CDC have both been making ominous warnings, and that the international medical community is understandably not anxious to go into a hot zone with a high-mortality disease...Does the phrase "cannon fodder" ring a bell?

I suspect the primary reason that no nation has sent in military assistance, is because they have good reason to fear outright mutiny in the ranks. There's limits to even what cannon fodder can be conned into doing.

The logical compromise would be massive airdrops of needed supplies, with no foreign personnel touching down. Cots, hospital tents, rubber gloves, gowns, all are unavailable in the hot zones. As the pool of survivors grows, a local workforce also grows, and from what I understand paid employment would be welcome too.

But Mr. Putin and the Ukraine are keeping the US and EU focused a bit north of that.
Old 08-09-2014, 11:34   #219

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
Looks like the US will be sending military assets. There is growing fear this thing may indeed spread.

Obama: U.S. military to provide equipment, resources to battle Ebola epidemic in Africa - The Washington Post
What is pathetic is that it has taken the US over a month to START responding. The other report I saw this weekend said medical aid was going to be given to the affected countries. Better late than never I suppose, I just hope it is not too late for too many.

Having military forces on the ground is problematic. Most likely required to protect the health care workers but still problematic.

Later,
Dan
Old 08-09-2014, 16:51   #220

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
... The logical compromise would be massive airdrops of needed supplies, with no foreign personnel touching down. Cots, hospital tents, rubber gloves, gowns, all are unavailable in the hot zones. ...

I know it's unpopular to say so but in the movie they firebombed the village. Here, we're talking about a much larger group; it's a real bummer but better thousands than millions or more.
Old 08-09-2014, 16:58   #221
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Heard a bit more on NPR today. It seems what they are planning to do is to set up a 25 bed hospital for INFECTED MEDICAL WORKERS ONLY.

A pretty limited response. On the other hand it does make sense to try to give support to medical workers if you want them to come in and help.
Old 08-09-2014, 21:25   #222

Boat: Valiant 42

[QUOTE=hellosailor;1623667]
I suspect the primary reason that no nation has sent in military assistance, is because they have good reason to fear outright mutiny in the ranks. There's limits to even what cannon fodder can be conned into doing.
/QUOTE]

What an utterly silly statement. All uhe NATO countries all have highly dedicated and well trained service men and women. It's an insult to them to suggest they have or could be conned into anything. You should be ashamed!
Old 09-09-2014, 05:06   #223
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Transmitter,

I hear you and understand your point. But I don't the ink that's what HelloSailor had in mind.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I read you two as saying the same thing.

Perhaps I'm wrong, these forums make for difficult communications.
Old 09-09-2014, 07:29   #224

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
Transmitter,

I hear you and understand your point. But I don't the ink that's what HelloSailor had in mind.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I read you two as saying the same thing.

Perhaps I'm wrong, these forums make for difficult communications.
Yepper. It's kind of like sitting around the bar until a conversation goes awry. Without the context clues, things can go downhill fast.
Old 09-09-2014, 09:06   #225
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

dan-
You may not remember this but in the first round of US incursions and "Gulf Wars" there was a great concern about Sadam using chemical or biological weapons, and all the troops were having fits trying to use cbw suits without dropping from heat prostration. And along with that, there were some major issues raised about soldiers being given experimental vaccines for the expected cbw agents.

Well, that was a military operation. NO you go figure out how to explain to the troops that they are going to be sent on a NON-military operation, something they never signed up for, in what is really a CBW environment with no vaccines and no treatment for the disease which is KNOWN, not suspected but KNOWN to be endemic.

There will be some who will say "Lock me up, I'm not going." The only questions are how many, and what the courts will say this time.

One of the aftermaths of 9/11 is that official surveys and response guides developed for NYC indicate that something like 1/4 to 1/3 of the NYC population will make up their own minds and IGNORE all official announcements and guidance as to evacuating or sheltering in place, because they've decided official statements can't be trusted and may be wrong. (Evacuate the towers, don't evacuate the towers, etc.)

It may be the military, but the phrase is "I didn't sign up for this." It isn't a war, and it isn't fair or proper to send in cannon fodder for a relief action, when you know they very probably will take heavy casualties.

Fort Leavenworth for certain, or a 50% chance of dying a gruesome death....That's how a lot of folks would look at it, and that's a fast no-brainer. You'll notice how eager all the charities and medical relief professionals have been to enter the hot zones. So, air drops? Yes. Boots on the ground? That'll play very well, until the first perimeter is threatened and the troops open up with automatic weapons. A very real possibility, and one that I'm sure has been considered, and considered as something to avoid at all costs. Which means, no boots.
Closed Thread

Tags
arc