Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-08-2014, 11:23   #61
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate re: Ebola Fears in the Canary Islands

Bloody Hell...
or so I've been told...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 02-08-2014, 11:30   #62
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
re: Ebola Fears in the Canary Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Bloody Hell...
or so I've been told...
just dont share rollys and you will be fine
Old 02-08-2014, 11:34   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
atoll-
Not so long ago there were major quarantines and forced removals, even in US cities, for diseases like polio and typhoid that people have forgotten all about in 2-3 fast generations.

Quarantine is a dirty word now, it runs raw against civil liberties.

But suppose I'm bugging out of Ebola-town. My cab driver is infected, I don't know that. He sneezes in the cab and some aerosol settles on me or my bag on the way to the airport. I'm not sick, so I fly home. Three weeks later, I'm very sick, and in the meantime, I've brought the virus home AND spread it since I had no idea I had it.

Ooopsie?

Or is Norovirus just so so much better at infecting a thousand people at a shot, that we shouldn't worry about these little things for Ebola?

Better to wait for it to hit a major population center, and then just TRY to tell everyone in a city of ten million to "Stay home for three weeks" until it passes?
Just finished a month of freelance work in Washington D.C. A city with a very international population: students, diplomats and a large population of illegal immigrants. Just thinking about my interactions last week. I stopped at the 7/11 quick stop store each morning at 6 am. The same bunch of hard working Latinos piled out of a pickup before me and entered the store. I was amused since so many of them came out of the truck it reminded me of those small clown cars in the circus where twelve of them pop out. In the store the clerks are West African. Many of these immigrants live in group house situations so even if they are healthy new residents to these homes may not be. IMO a major epidemic is only a matter of time considering the interactions with various people in a major city like D.C. and that's without even getting on the Metro/subway. Which is another incubation nightmare location. I'm not paranoid about it but, it would not surprise me if it happened.
Old 02-08-2014, 11:49   #64

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
God has a plan for us all.............

I'm trying to follow closely . . . is this what you meant by the above statement?

"biker chicks existing on a diet of beer,sperm and amphetamines might be the saviour of the human race in a post apocalyptic world" Atoll
Old 02-08-2014, 11:58   #65
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognvald View Post
I'm trying to follow closely . . . is this what you meant by the above statement?

"biker chicks existing on a diet of beer,sperm and amphetamines might be the saviour of the human race in a post apocalyptic world" Atoll
biker chicks generaly sleep all day,and only come out at night,so avoid mass population groups of wage slaves,so the prognosis is good for survival....if only by default
Old 02-08-2014, 12:05   #66
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbianka View Post
Just finished a month of freelance work in Washington D.C. A city with a very international population: students, diplomats and a large population of illegal immigrants. Just thinking about my interactions last week. I stopped at the 7/11 quick stop store each morning at 6 am. The same bunch of hard working Latinos piled out of a pickup before me and entered the store. I was amused since so many of them came out of the truck it reminded me of those small clown cars in the circus where twelve of them pop out. In the store the clerks are West African. Many of these immigrants live in group house situations so even if they are healthy new residents to these homes may not be. IMO a major epidemic is only a matter of time considering the interactions with various people in a major city like D.C. and that's without even getting on the Metro/subway. Which is another incubation nightmare location. I'm not paranoid about it but, it would not surprise me if it happened.
you need to put this in perspective....here is a real life scenario of how contagious the disease actually is

"Epidemiologists and virus experts believe the original case in that instance to have been a woman who went to a market in Guinea and then returned, unwell, to her home village in neighbouring northern Liberia.

The woman's sister cared for her, and in doing so contracted the Ebola virus herself before her sibling died of the haemorrhagic fever it causes.

Feeling unwell and fearing a similar fate, the sister wanted to see her husband - an internal migrant worker then employed on the other side of Liberia at the Firestone rubber plantation.

She took a communal taxi via Liberia's capital Monrovia, exposing five other people to the virus who later contracted and died of the Ebola.

In Monrovia, she switched to a motorcycle, riding pillion with a young man who agreed to take her to the plantation and whom health authorities were subsequently desperate to trace.

"It's an analogous situation to the man in the airplane" who flew into Lagos and died there, said Derek Gatherer of Britain's Lancaster University, an expert in viruses who has been tracking the West Africa outbreak closely.

from Taxis, planes and viruses: How deadly Ebola can spread | Reuters
Old 02-08-2014, 12:39   #67

Screw all the medical staff and scientist, lets just sit on the sidelines and let god look after things, then you just know everything is going to be alright!
Old 02-08-2014, 12:43   #68
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

"Once upon a time and a very good time it was there was an ebola zombie coming down along the road and this zombie that was coming down along the road met a nicens little boy named baby tuckoo"
Old 02-08-2014, 13:11   #69

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora
Re: Ebola Fears in the Canary Islands, ARC Cancelled

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
Screw all the medical staff and scientist, lets just sit on the sidelines and let god look after things, then you just know everything is going to be alright!
No no no, medical staff are not biker chicks! Sit on the sidelines and screw all the biker chicks! I am sure we are doomed anyway. A monkey has learned to use the internet! Planet of the apes will come to pass. Just imagine Wall Street controlled by creatures who by have contempt for human beings. Hmmmm.......how about the US Congress? Nah, faagetaboudit it would never happen.
Old 02-08-2014, 19:44   #70

Boat: Luger, Southwind, 21
Re: Ebola Fears in the Canary Islands

Regardless, the CDC is your friend and they have no power player puppet masters telling them, or the media for that matter, what to say or withhold... But seriously, did you expect to live forever.! Never mind that some power players maybe accelerating that final departure, through manipulation.
Old 02-08-2014, 20:03   #71
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Well it's a good thing I'm getting new tires on my goldwing this week. Wonder where a girl gets amphetamines.
Old 02-08-2014, 21:38   #72

Boat: Wharram Tangaroa Mk IV

question.. when the numbers of victims to this virus start to grow from a dozen or so a week to dozens per day ..who is going to volunteer to bury the corpses
Old 03-08-2014, 02:15   #73
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by salty seadog View Post
question.. when the numbers of victims to this virus start to grow from a dozen or so a week to dozens per day ..who is going to volunteer to bury the corpses
i'm guessing that is when you send the army in in haz-chem suits with flame throwers
Old 03-08-2014, 02:26   #74
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
Well it's a good thing I'm getting new tires on my goldwing this week. Wonder where a girl gets amphetamines.
by all accounts you will probably be out on the delta living off rice and clams and miss the whole episode.........

6 months later you will be able to walk into the now deserted city center and help yourself.......
Old 03-08-2014, 06:52   #75

Boat: Monk 36 Trawler

Here's some reading to lift the spirits.

A Journal of the Plague Year (Dover Thrift Editions): Daniel Defoe: 9780486419190: Amazon.com: Books

Steve W.
Closed Thread

Tags
arc