Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-08-2014, 10:03   #46
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast
Re: ebola fears in the canary islands,arc cancelled over ebola fears.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcapo View Post
Good book about that by Richard Preston.

The Hot Zone - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Yup that might be the one.
Old 02-08-2014, 10:03   #47

Boat: Pearson 34-II
re: Ebola Fears in the Canary Islands

"in europe we have about 10,000 west african migrants arriving in small boats every month,every one is a potential carrier." Atoll

Atoll,
I don't understand why you should be so concerned. They are just unfortunate human beings who are looking for a better life. Why not England? A little Ebola never hurt anyone, right? In fact, once the Black Death gained a foothold in Europe, they only lost half of the population. There was still another half left. How many people do we really need? We here in the US are experiencing a rebirth of diseases that were eradicated in the 50's, one is TB, that crosses the desert and Rio Grande every day. I think we should all open our borders and allow people to travel and live wherever they please--with the exception, of course, of that uncivilized country to our north. I'm sure US taxpayers would be pleased to help the needy and unfortunate of the world. Although , at present, we're having a difficult time helping ourselves as our national debt is now 17.6 trillion dollars and growing. Ebola, Shemola . . . give me your tired and poor.
Old 02-08-2014, 10:05   #48
cruiser

Re: ebola fears in the canary islands,arc cancelled over ebola fears.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMdRSailor View Post
SM...

Can't believe you're still with us after the discovery of the prior use of the barn...
Wasn't the lab, just a storage facility. Who knows what those crates were used where, but the security were nervous for sure.

Being a monkey I was a bit ascared they might keep me for a while

EDIT:

If you look at the Google satellite map of Towlson RD x Route 7, northeast corner, you'll see the place -- been flattened. Barn gone. You can still see the parking lot.
Old 02-08-2014, 10:12   #49
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognvald View Post
"in europe we have about 10,000 west african migrants arriving in small boats every month,every one is a potential carrier." Atoll

Atoll,
I don't understand why you should be so concerned. They are just unfortunate human beings who are looking for a better life. Why not England? A little Ebola never hurt anyone, right? In fact, once the Black Death gained a foothold in Europe, they only lost half of the population. There was still another half left. How many people do we really need? We here in the US are experiencing a rebirth of diseases that were eradicated in the 50's, one is TB, that crosses the desert and Rio Grande every day. I think we should all open our borders and allow people to travel and live wherever they please--with the exception, of course, of that uncivilized country to our north. I'm sure US taxpayers would be pleased to help the needy and unfortunate of the world. Although , at present, we're having a difficult time helping ourselves as our national debt is now 17.6 trillion dollars and growing. Ebola, Shemola . . . give me your tired and poor.
"I don't understand why you should be so concerned."

i'm not!,just it would be a bit of a bummer if it spoiled the cruising having all the borders closed.......plus i would worry when approached on the beach in portugal by one of the many west african trinket sellers that frequent the tourist areas of southern europe how long ago they got off the boat from north africa.
Old 02-08-2014, 10:19   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
"I don't understand why you should be so concerned."

i'm not!,just it would be a bit of a bummer if it spoiled the cruising having all the borders closed.......plus i would worry when approached on the beach in portugal by one of the many west african trinket sellers that frequent the tourist areas of southern europe how long ago they got off the boat from north africa.

Sorry, Atoll,
I guess you missed the irony/sarcasm in my reply. I'll try harder next time! P.S. I thought you knew I was agreeing with you. Good luck, good sailing and an Ebola free weekend. Capt. Rognvald, literarily challenged
Old 02-08-2014, 10:21   #51
cruiser

Just think, labour shortages after 1347 made the common labourer valuable, and he could charge great sums for his work, so he could buy silver buckles. That is, until the upper classes got ahold of their throats again. Then all hell broke out!

Peasants' Revolt - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 02-08-2014, 10:27   #52
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognvald View Post
Sorry, Atoll,
I guess you missed the irony/sarcasm in my reply. I'll try harder next time! P.S. I thought you knew I was agreeing with you. Good luck, good sailing and an Ebola free weekend. Capt. Rognvald, literarily challenged
no need to apologise! i did get it ,just my humour was a tad dryer than yours...........so just remember who invented the first concentration camps......the english in the boer war...............
Old 02-08-2014, 10:33   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
no need to apologise! i did get it ,just my humour was a tad dryer than yours...........so just remember who invented the first concentration camps......the english in the boer war...............
Atoll,
In that case, I would call it dessicated. Captain Rognvald--60.5% water . . . although very distilled!
Old 02-08-2014, 10:34   #54
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

I've been following this virus for a while now. My observation is that the USA news outlets are doing pretty shoddy work. Al Jazerra seems to doing a better job! That in itself is upsetting.

While everyone tends to be kinda self centered on this (National Geographic said "it isn something to loose sleep over") I think there are real reasons to be concerned. Among a few would be massive disruption of international travel, thus adversely effecting our global economy and terrorist/nut case's using this a a weapon of mass destruction.

So I think a little imaginative thought would say that it is something to take seriously.

P.S. I can't find the citation right now but did read a quote from an (American?) doctor working in one of the very few labs that can identify the virus. He said that his lab was getting positive samples from everywhere, including dense population centers. He also said he felt strongly they were getting only a fraction of the samples as few taxi drovers were willing to do the transport. His conclusion was that the infection rate was MUCH higher than reported. At least in his area.
Old 02-08-2014, 10:39   #55

"So I think a little imaginative thought would say that it is something to take seriously." hpeer

Be careful . . . the thought police are watching and your well reasoned response could be construed as more dangerous than ebola . . .
Old 02-08-2014, 10:44   #56
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
I've been following this virus for a while now. My observation is that the USA news outlets are doing pretty shoddy work. Al Jazerra seems to doing a better job! That in itself is upsetting.

While everyone tends to be kinda self centered on this (National Geographic said "it isn something to loose sleep over") I think there are real reasons to be concerned. Among a few would be massive disruption of international travel, thus adversely effecting our global economy and terrorist/nut case's using this a a weapon of mass destruction.

So I think a little imaginative thought would say that it is something to take seriously.

P.S. I can't find the citation right now but did read a quote from an (American?) doctor working in one of the very few labs that can identify the virus. He said that his lab was getting positive samples from everywhere, including dense population centers. He also said he felt strongly they were getting only a fraction of the samples as few taxi drovers were willing to do the transport. His conclusion was that the infection rate was MUCH higher than reported. At least in his area.
+100,one infected migrant in syria' or turkeys 500,000 strong refugee camps could become very serious very quickly.
Old 02-08-2014, 10:52   #57
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

atoll-
Not so long ago there were major quarantines and forced removals, even in US cities, for diseases like polio and typhoid that people have forgotten all about in 2-3 fast generations.

Quarantine is a dirty word now, it runs raw against civil liberties.

But suppose I'm bugging out of Ebola-town. My cab driver is infected, I don't know that. He sneezes in the cab and some aerosol settles on me or my bag on the way to the airport. I'm not sick, so I fly home. Three weeks later, I'm very sick, and in the meantime, I've brought the virus home AND spread it since I had no idea I had it.

Ooopsie?

Or is Norovirus just so so much better at infecting a thousand people at a shot, that we shouldn't worry about these little things for Ebola?

Better to wait for it to hit a major population center, and then just TRY to tell everyone in a city of ten million to "Stay home for three weeks" until it passes?
Old 02-08-2014, 10:56   #58
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
atoll-
Not so long ago there were major quarantines and forced removals, even in US cities, for diseases like polio and typhoid that people have forgotten all about in 2-3 fast generations.

Quarantine is a dirty word now, it runs raw against civil liberties.

But suppose I'm bugging out of Ebola-town. My cab driver is infected, I don't know that. He sneezes in the cab and some aerosol settles on me or my bag on the way to the airport. I'm not sick, so I fly home. Three weeks later, I'm very sick, and in the meantime, I've brought the virus home AND spread it since I had no idea I had it.

Ooopsie?

Or is Norovirus just so so much better at infecting a thousand people at a shot, that we shouldn't worry about these little things for Ebola?

Better to wait for it to hit a major population center, and then just TRY to tell everyone in a city of ten million to "Stay home for three weeks" until it passes?
how does the saying go......"Man plans......God chuckles..........."
Old 02-08-2014, 11:07   #59
cruiser

"God is not an armchair sailor"
Old 02-08-2014, 11:14   #60
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
"God is not an armchair sailor"
God has a plan for us all.............
Closed Thread

Tags
arc