Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-08-2014, 20:29   #166
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: San Diego
Boat: Pearson 39-2 "Sea Story"
Posts: 1,109
Re: Ebola Fears in the Canary Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Skye View Post
Local Atlanta update, not sure what we would expect him to say: Ebola patient says he is “getting stronger” | www.ajc.com

Would be shocked if we have a cure, being that polio was the last cure the world has produced. Pessimistic side says there is much more money in treating than curing. Optimistic side says I'm ignorant. Yes, the article makes no mention of cure, but if he is improving when others have died, is he on borrowed time or something else we are not aware of? Maybe it's just be properly hydrated
We do not have a cure for polio; we have a vaccine to prevent it. The rare patients who still contract it are seriously affected.
__________________

__________________
Greenhand is offline  
Old 08-08-2014, 20:33   #167
Senior Cruiser
 
atoll's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: gettin naughty on the beach in cornwall
Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Posts: 9,312
Images: 75
Re: Ebola Fears in the Canary Islands

at least nigeria is taking the epidemic seriously

BBC News - Ebola outbreak: Nigeria declares national emergency

this as well in saudi arabia,looks like the family is infected,and hospital staff
http://www.arabnews.com/news/featured/613311
__________________

__________________
my catamaran building project updates http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...36#post2502136
atoll is offline  
Old 08-08-2014, 21:02   #168
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 596
Re: Ebola Fears in the Canary Islands

After listening to the testimony of the guy from Samaritan's Purse, it seems that the Ebola outbreak is going to depopulate at least part of west Africa...

With the lack of education, money, and infrastructure, I don't see how Ebola can be contained in those countries. The level of effort required to even have a chance to stop this would require large numbers of trained and organized people with large resources. That means the US military. Even with that level of effort, putting a lid on this is going to be very problematic and I see all sorts of problems even trying for all sorts of reasons. It would take very strong, firm, and decisive leadership by the US and Europe to have a chance to get this under control and I would not bet money on that happening. From the testimony, it sounds like it is too late for the affected countries.

If the culture says you clean and kiss the dead, and it takes only minimal skin contact to spread the disease,....

Later,
Dan
__________________
dannc is offline  
Old 15-08-2014, 05:53   #169
Senior Cruiser
 
hpeer's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Philadelphia
Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
Posts: 3,902
Re: Ebola Fears in the Canary Islands

Thought I'd post a couple of updates.

I have the suspission that the US main stream media is not the best source of info. We gat a lot of stories, but very little real info. Here are some tidbits...

Newsweek is reporting that all who can affor to are flying out of Freetown.

http://www.newsweek.com/ebola-frontl...st-town-264720

Zee news from India has an ebola tag with stories. This is the best condensation of real news I see.

Ebola - Latest News on Ebola | Read Breaking News on Zee News

What I get is WHO doesn't trust the reported infection and death rate data. But also the effected countries are trying to restrict visiting medical staff who want to get out.

Also the US has ordered it's embassy staff out of Liberia and some other countries are urging their nationals to leave.

So far as I can tell there has been no international transmission of the disease from the area save the lone instance in Saudia Arabia, which seems contained.

This seems to be giving local health workers everywhere time to prep. should it escape. An acquaintance in Edmonton, Alberta tells me that the have local folks loosing family " back home" and their local health officials have prepped to deal with a suspected case.
__________________
hpeer is offline  
Old 15-08-2014, 06:43   #170
Wayfaring Mariner
 
captain58sailin's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Homer, AK is my home port
Boat: Skookum 53'
Posts: 4,045
Images: 5
Re: Ebola Fears in the Canary Islands

For some reason, the ebola news has dropped off dramatically in the last few days. Nary a mention last night on the news.
__________________
" Wisdom; is your reward for surviving your mistakes"
captain58sailin is offline  
Old 15-08-2014, 07:52   #171
cruiser

Join Date: May 2010
Location: SF Bay Area; Former Annapolis and MA Liveaboard.
Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast
Posts: 6,197
Re: Ebola Fears in the Canary Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain58sailin View Post
For some reason, the ebola news has dropped off dramatically in the last few days. Nary a mention last night on the news.
Thats because all the reporters are dead
__________________
SaltyMonkey is offline  
Old 15-08-2014, 08:05   #172
Senior Cruiser
 
DeepFrz's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Winnipeg
Boat: None at this time
Posts: 7,930
Re: Ebola Fears in the Canary Islands

The BBC World News is reporting it will take 6 months to control the outbreak.
BBC News - Ebola crisis 'to take six months to control'
__________________
The Blue Dot Campaign. This Changes Everything.
DeepFrz is offline  
Old 15-08-2014, 08:26   #173
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 596
Re: Ebola Fears in the Canary Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain58sailin View Post
For some reason, the ebola news has dropped off dramatically in the last few days. Nary a mention last night on the news.
Yes, the news has just dropped the story. One of my local stations had a report early in the week and then nothing. They story early in the week was downplaying the seriousness of Ebola and said,
Quote:
Ebola doesn't spread easily, the way a cold virus or the flu does. It is only spread by direct contact with bodily fluids such as blood, saliva, sweat and urine.
Gee, is that not how cold and flu is spread?

Yet one can easily come into contact some one's sweat and body fluids from coughing and sneezing. I read or heard of a study that said the cloth armrest in movie theaters fecal matter among other stuff.

I can't tell if the media is closing down the reports because they have lost interest or if the Feds have told them to tone it down.

Later,
Dan
__________________
dannc is offline  
Old 15-08-2014, 08:34   #174
Registered User
 
Blue Crab's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Hurricane Highway
Boat: Cal 29
Posts: 3,883
pirate Re: Ebola Fears in the Canary Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannc View Post
Yes, the news has just dropped the story. One of my local stations had a report early in the week and then nothing. They story early in the week was downplaying the seriousness of Ebola and said,

Gee, is that not how cold and flu is spread?

Yet one can easily come into contact some one's sweat and body fluids from coughing and sneezing. I read or heard of a study that said the cloth armrest in movie theaters fecal matter among other stuff.

I can't tell if the media is closing down the reports because they have lost interest or if the Feds have told them to tone it down.

Later,
Dan
That's a scary thought right there.
__________________
Blue Crab is offline  
Old 15-08-2014, 08:35   #175
SFH
Registered User
 
SFH's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Danish
Boat: Jeanneau Yacht 53
Posts: 75
Send a message via Skype™ to SFH
Re: Ebola Fears in the Canary Islands

Trust me. Ebola is still very high on the agenda.

I live in Nigeria as an expat and have to deal with this on a daily basis including fear amongst my expats, my local managers/staff and my customers.

To give you an idea about status I received today's update a few hours ago:

- The Federal Minister of Health has directed all Tertiary Health Institutions in each state to provide an Isolation Center for Ebola patients

- The Federal Government has approved three laboratories for testing of EVD: Lagos University Teaching Hospital, Maiduguri University Teaching Hospital & Sagamu Redeemers University Teaching Hospital

- There are currently 10 confirmed cases of EVD and one death yesterday (in isolation) bringing the total number of deaths to 3 (including the index case). The 3rd death was an ECOWAS staff who was in direct contact with Mr. Sawyer.

- No new cases reported as of today

- 52 people has been discharged from surveillance following the 21 day follow up with certificates

- One of the Nurses that came in contact with Mr. Sawyer, who was supposed to be isolated sneaked out of Lagos and went to Enugu State. She has been returned to Lagos using a special ambulance and all the people she has contact with at Enugu have been isolated for observations some of whom have now been released having shown no symptoms after the requisite period.

- Screening in the airport covers all passengers on all inbound flights into the country. Passengers with fever will be sent to a holding room for further processing. CDC confirmed technical support from tomorrow at the airports to help with the processes for screening.

- The multidrug resistant TB ward in Lagos to be designated as a new isolation ward with 40 beds in addition to the IDH isolation ward in Yaba. Big challenge is personnel to man the wards.

- No Nigerian doctor has volunteered to be part of the team caring for those in isolation. One foreign doctor and four Nigerian nurses are currently in charge of care of patients in isolation.

- Ogun State is putting up an isolation ward at Owode.

- Confirmation of Ebola virus infection can now be done in 3 labs in the country which are WHO approved namely: Lagos University Teaching Hospital (LUTH), Redeemers University Teaching Hospital Sagamu and the University of Maiduguri Teaching Hospital


Trust me. This it taken very seriously

/Steen
__________________
SFH is offline  
Old 15-08-2014, 08:40   #176
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: San Diego
Boat: Pearson 39-2 "Sea Story"
Posts: 1,109
Re: Ebola Fears in the Canary Islands

There are many news sources staying on top of the story - today's news is that the cases were likely severely underreported.
__________________
Greenhand is offline  
Old 15-08-2014, 09:07   #177
Senior Cruiser
 
atoll's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: gettin naughty on the beach in cornwall
Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Posts: 9,312
Images: 75
Re: Ebola Fears in the Canary Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFH View Post
Trust me. Ebola is still very high on the agenda.

I live in Nigeria as an expat and have to deal with this on a daily basis including fear amongst my expats, my local managers/staff and my customers.

To give you an idea about status I received today's update a few hours ago:

- The Federal Minister of Health has directed all Tertiary Health Institutions in each state to provide an Isolation Center for Ebola patients

- The Federal Government has approved three laboratories for testing of EVD: Lagos University Teaching Hospital, Maiduguri University Teaching Hospital & Sagamu Redeemers University Teaching Hospital

- There are currently 10 confirmed cases of EVD and one death yesterday (in isolation) bringing the total number of deaths to 3 (including the index case). The 3rd death was an ECOWAS staff who was in direct contact with Mr. Sawyer.

- No new cases reported as of today

- 52 people has been discharged from surveillance following the 21 day follow up with certificates

- One of the Nurses that came in contact with Mr. Sawyer, who was supposed to be isolated sneaked out of Lagos and went to Enugu State. She has been returned to Lagos using a special ambulance and all the people she has contact with at Enugu have been isolated for observations some of whom have now been released having shown no symptoms after the requisite period.

- Screening in the airport covers all passengers on all inbound flights into the country. Passengers with fever will be sent to a holding room for further processing. CDC confirmed technical support from tomorrow at the airports to help with the processes for screening.

- The multidrug resistant TB ward in Lagos to be designated as a new isolation ward with 40 beds in addition to the IDH isolation ward in Yaba. Big challenge is personnel to man the wards.

- No Nigerian doctor has volunteered to be part of the team caring for those in isolation. One foreign doctor and four Nigerian nurses are currently in charge of care of patients in isolation.

- Ogun State is putting up an isolation ward at Owode.

- Confirmation of Ebola virus infection can now be done in 3 labs in the country which are WHO approved namely: Lagos University Teaching Hospital (LUTH), Redeemers University Teaching Hospital Sagamu and the University of Maiduguri Teaching Hospital


Trust me. This it taken very seriously

/Steen
thanks for the "on the ground" update,i'm flying out of gatwick tommorow for a delivery........i wonder if i should turn up in a tyvek suit and mask!
__________________
my catamaran building project updates http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...36#post2502136
atoll is offline  
Old 15-08-2014, 09:15   #178
SFH
Registered User
 
SFH's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Danish
Boat: Jeanneau Yacht 53
Posts: 75
Send a message via Skype™ to SFH
Re: Ebola Fears in the Canary Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
thanks for the "on the ground" update,i'm flying out of gatwick tommorow for a delivery........i wonder if i should turn up in a tyvek suit and mask!
Alex,

Let me know if your are passing by on your way. Always GT on the rocks ready at hand

/Steen
__________________
SFH is offline  
Old 15-08-2014, 09:21   #179
Registered User
 
Blue Crab's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Hurricane Highway
Boat: Cal 29
Posts: 3,883
Re: Ebola Fears in the Canary Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenhand View Post
There are many news sources staying on top of the story - today's news is that the cases were likely severely underreported.
That's what I called the most serious danger earlier before HS opened my eyes to worse danger: intentional propagation. The woman sneaking out is almost as bad. I wouldn't term that action as Africanism in any way. That's how people are everywhere.

Thx for the update SFH.

Good luck Atoll! How about taking a SPOT with you for our entertainment?
__________________
Blue Crab is offline  
Old 15-08-2014, 09:24   #180
Senior Cruiser
 
atoll's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: gettin naughty on the beach in cornwall
Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Posts: 9,312
Images: 75
Re: Ebola Fears in the Canary Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFH View Post
Alex,

Let me know if your are passing by on your way. Always GT on the rocks ready at hand

/Steen
you are a scholar,and a gentleman!
i'm heading to spain for a pre-purchase survey,then delivering to balerics for shipping to the far east.....
will have to settle for sangria
__________________

__________________
my catamaran building project updates http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...36#post2502136
atoll is offline  
Closed Thread

Tags
arc

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Writer doing Research. Please Share Your Fears And Disasters At Sea. SS Little-Devil Health, Safety & Related Gear 17 24-03-2013 11:18
Florida Fears GavinC Liveaboard's Forum 50 02-08-2012 13:35
Catamaran Fears mbturner Multihull Sailboats 20 02-07-2011 19:39
Piracy fears in the Red Sea lyralicious Indian Ocean & Red Sea 3 04-03-2009 08:42



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:32.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.