Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-06-2012, 10:38   #1

Boat: Pearson, 28-1
DryBath

News of a an invention that takes most of the water out of bathing are floating around the internet and I wonder if anyone here has used the product.

DryBath |

Could it be a good addition to the array of techniques employed by sailors to stay clean? I assume that hopping overboard, using the solar shower (or the built-in, pressure, hot-water shower) wouldn't be replaced but that the drybath could fit into the mix or be useful when on passage or in low-water situations.
JonathanSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2012, 13:34   #2

Re: DryBath

Or use some of these, which have been around for a long time...

Amazon.com: Nathan Power Shower Refreshing Body Wipes: Sports & Outdoors

I've used something similar both when sailing and camping, and they work pretty well. Bottom line is that they are basically the same thing as "baby wipes"

Amazon.com: Huggies Natural Care Fragrance Free Baby Wipes, 184 Count (Pack of 3): Health & Personal Care
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2012, 14:40   #3
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i use baby butt wipes, usually huggies as they are strong and you can actually cut engine grease with em....but mostly i use goood old water and soaping agent and washcloth and towel. doesnt need much water, and is sooo much cleaner feeling than after the wipee cloths.....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2012, 14:48   #4

Boat: Pearson, 28-1

I agree that wipes are an essential tool for staying clean and I keep them around. I've also used some of the backpacking soaps that were supposed to work with minimal or no water but they never left me feeling clean. It felt more like the dirt has just been moved around and perfumed over. Nothing like lots of fresh water to help you feel clean.

I'm always up for learning new tricks in this area though..
JonathanSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2012, 15:12   #5
CLOD

Boat: none

Ever heard of a wash cloth? Doesn't use much water.
Old 20-06-2012, 15:22   #6

Boat: Tartan 30

The no-rinse shampoos are actually pretty good. Any type of 'wipe' will work for touch ups. No reason to buy the expensive ones. Water/soap/rag/towel birdbath type of thing is definitely the next best thing to a real shower.

Wipes are great for emergency usage when the water is tainted (or non-existent). I was first introduced to them about 7 days after hurricane Katrina. At the time they were a lifesaver. But nowadways, water is everywhere
Old 20-06-2012, 15:25   #7
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

don--that is soo true--only takes a quart or liter of water for a complete bath(not my hair) with soap and washing cloth. if folks havent learned that trick, they never been camping. or conserving. or in a water shortage situation....is time to learn true and severe conservation techniques---what if the watermaker breaks down in the middle of a long passage---what ye gonna do!!!???.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2012, 15:51   #8

Boat: 33ft sloop

To do the daily wash-up I need approx. 1 liter to 1 1/2. Hot water, from the little electric kettle. That wiil do, the rest I do with salt water.
I do not use a watertank but instead a large (polyethylene) container. Electricity is supplied by a 6,5 KWh genny, 3x 230 and 1 x 420 V. Dishwashing requires daily the same amount. Slowly I become pretty independent and I focus on that issue.

There is waterless soap too.
MacG is offline   Reply With Quote