Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-12-2018, 16:10   #1

Boat: 1995 hunter 430
Does one of these replace flares

They are telling me that this device replaces flares and it is legal in USA waters........any insight?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181219_182339.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	411.5 KB
ID:	182528  
Navicula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2018, 16:17   #2

Boat: Morgan Out Island 33
Re: Does one of these replace flares

My understanding is yes, they meet the legal requirement for replacing flares.
I still keep flares, even those that have expired.
cwoflyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2018, 16:38   #3

Oh, very good. I had not seen this but get really pissed at how many out of date flares I have and eventually get rid of the older ones.
I always figured that some lawmaker who had shares in a flare manufacturing company got the current laws passed.
Mind you, I will keep the 20 or more out of date like brand new flares aboard, I'll be happy if this just keeps the authorities happy.
Thanks for posting this and the reply
Allied39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2018, 16:48   #4

Yes, these do meet the Federal requirements for nighttime visual distress signals. In that sense they are a "replacement" for flares. However, if you think about it, the flashing strobe and the flare may in fact do two entirely different things if you are out there trying to be found. The flare can serve as an "alert" signal- i.e. it ATTRACTS attention by the fact it provides a sudden bright light that is different from other potential background lighting. This is even more true for aerial flares! The handheld LED ("SOS Light") is more of a "locator" signal. It lasts much longer then a flare and may provide a better way for searchers to actually find you...AFTER you get their attention. I am of the opinion that the flashing LED may not in fact be much of an "attention getter" particularly if there are other background lighting such a flashing buoys, lights on land, etc. Perhaps it is more effective offshore with no other lights for it to blend into. Another aspect is that the LED emits no heat. SAR aircraft (and some surface craft) are usually equipped with infrared capability (FLIR). The infrared won't "see" the LED at all. (An interesting side fact is that the day side of the flare- orange smoke, can also be used at night at it also emits heat that the infrared can pick up). Finally, the LED strobes are being marketed as "no expiration" as compared to flares. True, however, it does have batteries which need to be checked annually and replaced at some point. So, I agree with the above poster... carry both!
slipaway is offline   Reply With Quote