Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-06-2012, 11:13   #46

Boat: Niagara 35
Re: Disqualifying crew based on medical

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
I would be interested in any body that has actually used ememas to treat dehydration and sea sickness. How did it go? I have the option (being an anesthesiologist) to stick an IV in just about anyone. I think that it the way I would go. But I am interested in the enema for solo sailors and myself, when I am solo.
Most famous story is the family that were sunk in the '70s between the Golapagos and Marquesas and spent a month or so in a raft. When the water was too nasty to drink, they did enemas (she was a nurse).

What the heck is the name of the book? A real sailing classic.
cwyckham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2012, 11:18   #47
Armchair Bucketeer

I've got a hosepipe. and a video camera. I just need a vict...errr....I mean crew!
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2012, 11:52   #48

Boat: private yacht always moving

Quote:
Originally Posted by foolishsailor View Post
Ahhh, the best benefit of sailing....easy excuses...

"I swear officer, I was sleeping and when I came up for my watch no one was there, I spent days looking for them"

Habeus corpus and all that....as I keep reminding my wife.
but how do you explain the missing anchor????
captainKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2012, 11:59   #49

Boat: nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwyckham

Most famous story is the family that were sunk in the '70s between the Golapagos and Marquesas and spent a month or so in a raft. When the water was too nasty to drink, they did enemas (she was a nurse).

What the heck is the name of the book? A real sailing classic.
Can't remember the name of the book. For some reason the name Douglas comes to mind.
Piglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2012, 12:01   #50
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainKJ View Post
Their was a case in the UK (10 - 20 years ago) where a body was recovered (by a fisherman) still attached to an anchor......they actually traced the anchor back to the boat, or at least enough to be able to prove that the suspect either bought that anchor at the right time (or bought a replacement - I forget which). I think it was an identity theft thing where the fella who dissapeared was not greatly missed by anyone.

Fella was convicted.

Just sayin'
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2012, 12:10   #51

Boat: private yacht always moving

The Circumnavigators - by Don Holm - Moby Dick and other hazards

book called "Surviving the Savage Sea" about a Scottish family that survived in a life raft for 37 days after their ship was holed and sunk by killer whales.
captainKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2012, 13:10   #52
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Yup...A few of my friends have smuggled onboard after telling them not to. Too much to loose. How good is a friend that will do this after being told. Not much of a friend.
P.S....I always laugh and shake my head at the medical pot excuse.

I don't laugh at the medical pot thing. If you had had, or knew someone who had, a disease where they truly benefited, you wouldn't be laughing.

That said, it would still be problematic to have it on board no matter how legitimate its use was. I'm really glad we've had this discussion, because on a cruise I will include that in my rules -- NO pot or other illegal drugs.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2012, 13:12   #53
cruiser

Quote:
Peter O, how do you handle seasickness when you can't get sugar into your body?
I used to handle vetting much more casually. Recent events have shown me that this is a pretty serious topic. Day sails and complete honesty or no sailing for me.

I actively encourage people to take Bonine the night before if they think there's any chance they'll get seasick. I take it myself if it's likely to be rough, because it will be my head in the engine compartment breathing fumes if the impeller goes or something. People should check with their doctors of course, but I have found that Bonine doesn't make me groggy and I'm prone to grogginess if the med has the slightest tendency to do that. I don't want to be in a fog when the weather is clear ...
Old 15-06-2012, 13:15   #54
cruiser

Quote:
I would be interested in any body that has actually used ememas to treat dehydration and sea sickness. How did it go? I have the option (being an anesthesiologist) to stick an IV in just about anyone. I think that it the way I would go. But I am interested in the enema for solo sailors and myself, when I am solo.

I used it with my children (with our pediatrician's guidance) for dehydration. It kept my older daughter out of the hospital twice. I don't remember whether we added anything to the water or not. Probably did but it was a while ago. I also had to treat myself once, while traveling, again with doctor's direction. There's no reason you couldn't do it on a boat. If you're dehydrated, you'll absorb it all. it's not like an enema used for other reasons.
Old 15-06-2012, 13:17   #55
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
I used it with my children (with our pediatrician's guidance) for dehydration. It kept my older daughter out of the hospital twice. I don't remember whether we added anything to the water or not. Probably did but it was a while ago. I also had to treat myself once, while traveling, again with doctor's direction. There's no reason you couldn't do it on a boat. If you're dehydrated, you'll absorb it all. it's not like an enema used for other reasons.

PS they also make rectal suppositories for nausea. My husband and I both had to use them once when we had a terrible intestinal bug. Once again, it kept us both out of the hospital/ER over dehydration.

They're not OTC but your doctor might be willing to provide them as an emergency provision on a long trip. I know my doctor would provide me with certain antibiotics to be used in case I was cut by barnacles. They contain NASTY bacteria.
Old 15-06-2012, 13:32   #56

Boat: ex-Tartan 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
PS they also make rectal suppositories for nausea. My husband and I both had to use them once when we had a terrible intestinal bug. Once again, it kept us both out of the hospital/ER over dehydration.

They're not OTC but your doctor might be willing to provide them as an emergency provision on a long trip. I know my doctor would provide me with certain antibiotics to be used in case I was cut by barnacles. They contain NASTY bacteria.
Rectal suppositories of compazine or the like are a very good thing to have in the medical kit. They're a great way to deal with severe seasickness when the crew member is vomiting so much they can't take anything by mouth.
S/V Sapphire Tartan 40 #71

tartansail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2012, 13:38   #57
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by tartansail View Post
Rectal suppositories of compazine or the like are a very good thing to have in the medical kit. They're a great way to deal with severe seasickness when the crew member is vomiting so much they can't take anything by mouth.

That's what it was -- compazine!

It hasn't happened to me but I think seasickness can take on a life of its own, and on a long trip I think it would be a good thing to have.
Old 15-06-2012, 14:01   #58
Pusher of String

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Trisbal 42, Aluminum Cutter Rigged Sloop
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainKJ

Finally the perfect use for a danforth...

"You will do foolish things, but do them with enthusiasm."
Sidonie Gabrielle Colette
foolishsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2012, 14:06   #59
Pusher of String

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Trisbal 42, Aluminum Cutter Rigged Sloop
Quote:
Originally Posted by tartansail

We have anti nausea and anti seasickness suppositories, havent had to use them but as we are btu trained in inserting IVs i would much rather attempt to insert a suppository than an IV in really bad weather....

"You will do foolish things, but do them with enthusiasm."
Sidonie Gabrielle Colette
foolishsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2012, 14:10   #60
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by foolishsailor View Post
We have anti nausea and anti seasickness suppositories, havent had to use them but as we are btu trained in inserting IVs i would much rather attempt to insert a suppository than an IV in really bad weather....

Just GIVE me the suppository and I'll deal with it myself!

Tags
crew, medical