Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-06-2012, 17:04   #106
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.
Re: Disqualifying crew based on medical

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
Wrong, pot is a schedule 1 substance (no medical use), along with LSD, methamphetamine, and a few other nasty drugs. People have been trying to get it removed from schedule 1 forever, as heroin is schedule 2, which is ridiculous. And yet, in a number of states you can get a prescription for this schedule 1 substance.

Removal of cannabis from Schedule I of the Controlled Substances Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Nope, sorry minaret. Pot is a federal schedule 1, and the Feds do not recognize a prescription for pot as making it legal. Which means while a California DA can't prosecute you for state charges, a federal prosecutor can under federal law. This is an area of intense friction between the states and the federal government, but even with a prescription pot is illegal (federally), even if it is legal according to the state.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2012, 17:09   #107
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post
Nope, sorry minaret. Pot is a federal schedule 1, and the Feds do not recognize a prescription for pot as making it legal. Which means while a California DA can't prosecute you for state charges, a federal prosecutor can under federal law. This is an area of intense friction between the states and the federal government, but even with a prescription pot is illegal (federally), even if it is legal according to the state.
Aren't we saying exactly the same thing? Yes, it's federally illegal, but the previous poster said you can't get a prescription for any schedule 1 drug. That is what I was saying is wrong, you clearly can get a prescription for pot in many places, and it is schedule 1. Sure the feds will still arrest you, prescription or no, but you DO have a prescription.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2012, 17:14   #108

Boat: Ohlson 38

What about crew with a criminal record?

Off topic but didn't feel like it warranted a thread of it's own.
virginia boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2012, 17:20   #109
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by virginia boy View Post

A serious issue. A felony record can be a problem if you intend to travel internationally.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2012, 17:25   #110
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Not to mention that the Coast Guard is a Federal agency and does not care about your local state laws. Just look at all the dispensary raids going down right now, DEA is federal too.

It's very easy to meet US laws for prescribed drugs. There's no point in getting paranoid about this. If you have a prescription in a legitimate prescription bottle you have nothing to worry about from the CG.

If you have pot, that's a different story, especially (apparently) if you don't have special connections ...
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2012, 18:15   #111

Boat: nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by virginia boy

I have never been "convicted" of anything.
Piglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2012, 18:20   #112
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

Quote:
Aren't we saying exactly the same thing? Yes, it's federally illegal, but the previous poster said you can't get a prescription for any schedule 1 drug. That is what I was saying is wrong, you clearly can get a prescription for pot in many places, and it is schedule 1. Sure the feds will still arrest you, prescription or no, but you DO have a prescription.
I think we are disagreeing on what a prescription is. I can Rx you a koolaid enema, but it will not be taken seriously by the DEA or anyone else. A prescription is just a piece of paper that a medical professional says that a certain thing or substance would be helpful to you if you administer it to yourself in the way they have dictated to you. That is different than the drug schedule classifications. The DEA determines what is schedule 1. All scheduled drugs are prescribed by prescription, but not all things that are prescribed are schedule drugs. I may prescribe exercise and a reduction in smoking, but neither of these is a schedule drug. The DEA have said that these drugs are not for medical use, not me. They have said they cannot be prescribed to the general public. That is why having a little piece of paper in your hand will not keep you from getting arrested.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2012, 18:39   #113
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by virginia boy View Post

I think it would depend on what it was for, and if traveling internationally if they could get a visa. Very much a situational thing.

Someone convicted of killing their last skipper for stepping on their foot.... I would pass.

Someone who had a felony car accident 20 years ago, I wouldn't worry about. Say fell asleep at the wheel and were convicted of vehicular homicide.

Just a strait up judgment call at the time it was presented to me.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2012, 20:43   #114
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
I think we are disagreeing on what a prescription is. I can Rx you a koolaid enema, but it will not be taken seriously by the DEA or anyone else. A prescription is just a piece of paper that a medical professional says that a certain thing or substance would be helpful to you if you administer it to yourself in the way they have dictated to you. That is different than the drug schedule classifications. The DEA determines what is schedule 1. All scheduled drugs are prescribed by prescription, but not all things that are prescribed are schedule drugs. I may prescribe exercise and a reduction in smoking, but neither of these is a schedule drug. The DEA have said that these drugs are not for medical use, not me. They have said they cannot be prescribed to the general public. That is why having a little piece of paper in your hand will not keep you from getting arrested.

In fact a prescription for a Schedule 1 Drug (except for pot in some states, but I certainly wouldn't take it out of the state!) would probably CAUSE an arrest of the prescribing doctor and possibly the patient as well. But in reality what happened was that non-medical people confused Schedule i and schedule 2.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2012, 09:44   #115
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piglet View Post
I have never been "convicted" of anything.
Me neither

and anyone who could claim differently is now dead .
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crew, medical