Old 17-06-2012, 08:22   #76
Pusher of String

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Trisbal 42, Aluminum Cutter Rigged Sloop
Quote:
Originally Posted by virginia boy
Yacht Carrying Tiny Amount of Pot Confiscated
May 09, 1988|From Times Wire Services

MIAMI — The Coast Guard seized a 133-foot yacht valued at $2.5 million after finding one-tenth of an ounce of marijuana aboard, claiming the vessel under a "zero tolerance" crackdown on drugs.

The Ark Royal, registered in Delaware with its home port in Philadelphia, was seized Saturday in international waters between Mexico and Cuba after Coast Guard officers found the butt of a marijuana cigarette in a trash can and a small amount of marijuana in a stateroom, Coast Guard officials here said.
Sigh...I can't wait for prohibition to end, creates criminals and corruption. I'm sure some senior Coastie is really enjoying his new yacht. Ok that was mean but let's be honest, ever since the coasties became part of homeland security they have changed in the way they relate to vessels and people in general....

"You will do foolish things, but do them with enthusiasm."
Sidonie Gabrielle Colette
foolishsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2012, 10:29   #77
Certifiable Refitter/Senior Wannbe

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Van DeStat Super Dogger 31'
Re: Disqualifying crew based on medical

According to the dateline, this was 1988!

All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2012, 11:02   #78
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Various

Keep in mind that airline pilot who regularly passed strict FAA physicals yet he went berserk and had to be locked out of the cockpit. Also, if we are talking hiring crew in the U.S. beware the PC police. You could be sued.
Old 17-06-2012, 11:25   #79

Boat: private yacht always moving

Quote:
Originally Posted by virginia boy View Post
Yacht Carrying Tiny Amount of Pot Confiscated
May 09, 1988|From Times Wire Services

MIAMI The Coast Guard seized a 133-foot yacht valued at $2.5 million after finding one-tenth of an ounce of marijuana aboard, claiming the vessel under a "zero tolerance" crackdown on drugs.

The Ark Royal, registered in Delaware with its home port in Philadelphia, was seized Saturday in international waters between Mexico and Cuba after Coast Guard officers found the butt of a marijuana cigarette in a trash can and a small amount of marijuana in a stateroom, Coast Guard officials here said.

owner got the boat back 3 days later. If you have that kind of money for a boat you have contacts in many places. CG let them alone after that
Old 17-06-2012, 11:27   #80

Boat: Gemini 105MC 34 ft hull#753

I have been on sailing yachts that the consumtion of booze on a daily bases was outragus to the point of dangeous while still sailing and all the captian could say about it was "AARRRRGGGGGGGG sailors all drink this much . Meds aside I think booze be it beer or rum is better not on my boat and some friends don't get asked back. If a person has a legal perscripion for meds and has the correct quanity for the voyage so as not to run out, I see no problem if the state your in OK's the perscriptions by law , now that said if your not in the US you better have a written perscription to go with blood pressure pills, ect. We have a plaque on our boat about illegal drug and we go with what it says 100% achording to the state or country were in.
Old 17-06-2012, 11:42   #81
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

you might also want to think about short sighted people,had one crew who couldnt read the the compass,and since we had no auto pilot was totally useless hand steering,couldnt see ships untill the were right on top of us either,day or night!!!!
Old 17-06-2012, 13:02   #82
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Islander 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanetGroene View Post
Keep in mind that airline pilot who regularly passed strict FAA physicals yet he went berserk and had to be locked out of the cockpit. Also, if we are talking hiring crew in the U.S. beware the PC police. You could be sued.
It's hard to screen for this type of problem. Fortunately, I thinks it's a pretty rare occurrence.
I usually ask about conditions that would be good to know about under emergency circumstances that would be critical for EMS++ to know about. (epilepsy, hemophilia, severe allergies to meds or envenomation, etc.).
I also ask about things like sleepwalking, claustrophobia, "any behavior that would be pertinent to living in close quarters", etc.
Old 17-06-2012, 14:06   #83
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

I don't really consider any medical condition to be a complete bar from sailing, though being impossible to be around isn't medical.

For long distance racing and sailing, I ask for any 1) any medical conditions (I decide what is relavent) 2) any medication requirements 3) a HIPPA waiver so I can speak with their doctor 4) a minimum of drugs equal to the trips duration plus 7 days, 30 if they are life sustaining (insulin for instance).

I tend to call the persons doctor for specific advice, and warning signals, and to get the doctors thought on the persons reaction to off shore sailing, and to deal with their specific concerns.

It is also a very good idea to speak with your doctor and get a prescription for a list of potentially needed prescriptions to carry on board. Everything from antibiotics, antinausa pills (and suppositories), epinephrine, to high strength narcotic pain killers (and the stool softeners that go with them).

On the subject of weed. I am an attorney, and have been unable to find a single case where a boat was seized for a small amount of marijuana (less than an ounce). But it certainly could happen. That being said, I have seen people so seasick that smoking weed was the only thing that allowed them to control their seasickness long enough to keep down more traditional medications.
However I refuse to allow anyone to smoke or drink recreationally while underway. Unless the conditions are so mild that there is no fear of failing overboard (glassy calm waiting for wind) in which case a beer or two a day ration may be broken out at the skippers discretion.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2012, 14:23   #84

The booze problem is simple, NO BOOZE UNDERWAY, was my rule on all deliveries, and I never had a problem over it. I dont like to drink underway so it was never a problem on my own boats, but I had to set most rules aside when doing day charters in the Carribean since you would never get any referal buisiness with a no booze rule. As far as so called medical marijuana permits in Calif. They work fine with the local cops that are paid by Californians but the Coasties are paid by the federal Govt that takes a whole different view point. You could have some yokel ( apoligies to those few people that really need it) that thinks it is OK since he paid Dr Drug his money and got a license, and have that person get your boat taken from you. License or not, I would not let anyone on my boat with any form of drug that the Coasties dont like. Harsh or not, the crew or friend isnt going to pay the fines or attorney fees to get your boat back, so make the rule clear. 2 cents worth._____Grant.
Old 17-06-2012, 14:34   #85
Pusher of String

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Trisbal 42, Aluminum Cutter Rigged Sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjordan View Post
The booze problem is simple, NO BOOZE UNDERWAY, was my rule on all deliveries
Much to my dismay - this is the rule I have also come to. And i would have to be honest about liking my booze - especially that time between the sun just dropping below the horizon and just after the sun dropped below the horizon. I wouldnt be shy to share a joint if offered in a place where i woudnt be tossed in jail for it...

...I have little ones, as i am sure everyone is sick of hearing, and it changes the perspective a bit. No booze or anything else on passage and even at anchor if it seem dodgy.

As far as pot for a medical condition....

...any drug that is recognized as a class one/class a/ class a1 (name your continent) would immedietly disqualify a crew member. I dont care how minor the illness.

We transport a full paramedic kit of drugs - inclulding controlled substances and it hasnt been a problem mainly because we willingly surrender them at customs or put them in a locked box that we offer to have a tag placed on.

Never been a problem. But as we have been boarded in Trinidad for example and if they had found drugs or firearms not declared - or in the states god forbid...

In this case it is les the illness and individual as much as it is the bureaucracy (jaaazus, had to google the spelling on that one...) surrounding their medication that is an issue...

"You will do foolish things, but do them with enthusiasm."
Sidonie Gabrielle Colette
foolishsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2012, 15:28   #86

Boat: Sea Ray 270
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain58sailin View Post
I wasn't speaking to the legalities, only the practical application.
Well that solves the problem of seasickness... Now how do you deal with a stoned crew?

jeremiason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2012, 15:35   #87
Wayfaring Mariner

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Skookum 53'

When using it for seasick applications, I'm told it only takes a couple of hits to take the edge off the nausea. So unless it is really strong, one, would not need to be stoned.
Old 17-06-2012, 16:00   #88
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
i had a potential wanna be crew__reread as PASSENGER--LOL--attempt to try to convince me his ocd and fidgety ways were "normal"---once he exhibited a total lack of any kind of survivability on the sea-i let him go---and i am finding out more about his particular form of ptsd and his bragging about being a drug smuggler and disrespect of the mexican people--totally not acceptable behavior added to his inabilities made total lack of safety-he was left in mazatlan.

i had a pair try to crew--she on a boat only 4 times in life and had a gastric plication for obesity and was medication dependent and self absorbed. he was allegedly a graduate of some asa certification class----they were not able to survive a long passage--i told them i was going to sail 100 miles offshore and they vanished--thank the gods....

special needs are something difficult to address at sea---the wastage of provisions due to lack of desire of someone to eat leftovers--not an option on my boat. i am not able to babysit anyone unable to care for self in a proper and survivable fashion.

if someone is med dependent and hasnt the necessary meds for a passage, i cannot carry them on my boat. i can neither be responsible for their failures nor can i store people on my boat who are not able to function.

I think you certainly should do a shorter sail or two with a person before a longer one -- make sure they at least know the basics. "Let go of the lazy sheet" should be a clear instruction. It's pretty basic. I really don't mind explaining these things to a beginner but on a long cruise there's always the chance of a storm coming up. I need people to have the ability to follow instructions. That means they need to know port from starboard and be able to grasp how the roller furler works, etc.

Those shorter trips are also a good way for people to get familiar with my particular boat.
Old 17-06-2012, 16:03   #89

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

Seen too many stupid thing's happen,due to Alochol,Pot.I,have no place for it,calm sea's or any sea's.Boat's can have problem's in calm as well as rough sea's.Wanna deal with a overheating engin after a few libation's?
Old 17-06-2012, 16:04   #90
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by foolishsailor View Post
Sigh...I can't wait for prohibition to end, creates criminals and corruption. I'm sure some senior Coastie is really enjoying his new yacht. Ok that was mean but let's be honest, ever since the coasties became part of homeland security they have changed in the way they relate to vessels and people in general....

We were informed Friday night by someone who is pretty knowledgeable that the CG is taking a "no tolerance" attitude with all sorts of things, including what you throw overboard. Then we were handed brochures that said orange peels take 3 - 5 weeks to disappear.

Uh ... not where I live. Where I live that's called "feeding the crabs." Are they really going to give you a ticket for throwing over an orange peel? Are the landfills better off with my orange peel in it?

Tags
crew, medical

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: