Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 21-02-2006, 00:06   #16

Pete.

What have you normally been drinking down there?

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
CaptainK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2006, 00:10   #17

Boat: Whiting 29' extended "Nightcap"
First thing you have to do is drink plenty of water due to the very low humidity. I typically drink at least a gallon of water a day plus coffee and fruit juices etc. Saturdays I drink wine, rum or scotch depending on the mood. Drinking alcohol needs to be offset by more water and I usually drink another half gallon of water when out on the turps or when I get back to my room. The people that really suffer are the ones that have so much to drink they are incapable of waking up instinctively to re-hydrate. Lots of sorry faces the next day for them.

Positively, socially deviant.
NoTies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2006, 00:14   #18

I can imagine, Pete.

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
Old 21-02-2006, 00:20   #19

I forget, you don't have to imagine. I've suffered in Arizona as well. Apart form the temp it's probably the closest I've come to a similar atmosphere.

Old 21-02-2006, 11:16   #20

Pete.

You have visited Arizona before?

And if so, when?

Old 21-02-2006, 20:19   #21

Hey Kevin,
I spent about a month in the "Zone" in Spring 2004. Mainly stayed in Havasu but did the usual tourist runs to the canyon and Monument Valley, saw girls get arrested for showing a nipple on Memorial Day. All good stuff. If you ever get a chance to see Nick Sterling play in Phoenix go along. He'll blow you away, 14 years old, a reincarnation of some of the best metallers ever. Incidentally, there's a very slight chance I may have to go to Utah for a day or two about mid year, will try to contact a few of you guys if we do.

Old 21-02-2006, 21:15   #22

Wow Pete!!

I have vaguely heard of Nick Sterling. I never seen any of his shows. But, word on the street says he's good!!

Yeah. If ya head out to the states. Leave a post on this here forum letting us know when you'll be leaving. You could send me your email address. And I then could send you my phone number.

But? Theres a 50/50 chance I might move back to California. And start my 2 to 3 month renovation on a Catalina 27, that I plan on buying from a friend of Kai's!!

So we'll see. Maybe you could head to California. And see me and Kai? Just something to think about?

Old 14-07-2006, 15:37   #23
cruiser

mineralization

Use a bit of seawater instead of adding salt to you cooking . About 1/4 is about right. That will get you every mineral there is.
Brent
Old 20-09-2007, 20:05   #24

Anyone know of reasearch done on boron in RO water being used by cruisers? Most watermakers have a lot of breakthrough of boron, and I would be interested in hearing if anyone has studied this in cruisers. Just something I have been curious about since I did some work with landfill leachate a while back, and it got me thinking.
Old 20-09-2007, 21:20   #25

Boat: Trismus 37
So where does rain water fit into this, as one who has been on tank wateron land for the last 35 years and water caught from the awning when at sea, maybe a little salt gets in there but not so you can taste it.
Old 21-09-2007, 10:17   #26

Boat: Leopard 40 catamaran
Send a message via Skype™ to c.spots
I hope nobody is taking these studies seriously, from a boater’s perspective.
These WHO studies may be important to isolated regions of the world, but probably have no relevance to most of us. Other than Fluoride, which is artificially added to drinking water, what we get and need from drinking water is only the fluid. For our purposes, the absence of minerals or any miniscule changes in acidity in demineralized drinking water has no bearing on human health. There are numerous other, better, and more reliable sources of minerals, such as different foods.

That said, if you are used to a certain drinking water, your gut may react in a transient manor after a change to water with a marked change in mineral content.
Which minerals are in your water, and how much, depends on your water source. For example, rainwater is very soft, with minimal mineral content - a reflection of the air quality. If you are concerned about RO demineralized water, you certainly can’t rely on rainwater either. The minerals in water come from contact with the soil (other than perhaps dirty air).

Life shouldn't be a race to the finish line - enjoy the journey.
c.spots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2007, 14:03   #27

Boat: Piver Loadstar 12.5 metres
Solution is simple. Drink half a glass of clean seawater a day. That will give you every trace mineral known to man and should not overload the kidneys.
Old 30-09-2007, 00:58   #28

Boat: warwick 44
i would rather have 1/2 a glass of rum
Old 30-09-2007, 02:06   #29

Boat: Westfield UK Kingfisher 20+ - Rabbit
Send a message via AIM to sluissa
according to a marine environments class I'm taking, rainwater and seawater have very similar proportions of the chemicals that make up the salinity content, rainwater just has much less salinity in total. Riverwater's salinity on the other hand is quite a bit different(a lot more calcium for one thing), and although it's salinity is still much less total than seawater, it's quite a bit more than rainwater.

rainwater is not completely devoid of chemicals and minerals, but whether it has enough make it so that you don't need to worry about this problem or not, I wouldn't know.
Old 30-09-2007, 14:23   #30

Boat: Flicka
Send a message via AIM to conrad
Half a glass of CLEAN seawater????????? How clean???? Where or how far off shore of on which continent etc would one find Clean seawater I dont believe in SC south carolina or SC southern california near any town or city would one find Clean seawater......... But maybe just curious

Tags
health

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: