Old 29-09-2010, 06:56   #16

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft
Gord,

Back when respect was RESPECT
Old 29-09-2010, 07:03   #17

Boat: 22' Avalon Pontoon - The WINE BARge
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joli View Post
Worst one I heard: husband at the top of the rig, clipped on to do some work and suffered a massive heart attack, no way to get him down. The missus had to sail the boat to the destination with the hubby flopping around at the mast head.
Yikes!
RiverRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2010, 07:05   #18

Boat: Traditional 30
Smile

Every skipper/crew must understand that while they are on thier boat (even in the middle of the pacific or atlanic oceans) they are bound by the laws of the boats flag. Every modern country has strict laws about disposing of a body. It would be foolish to just say a few words then dump grandpa into the ocean. Rather, one would use a series of Pan Pans followed by long converstations with the authorities of Boats Flag - plus with any local authorities if within another countries waters.

There was a case many years ago where a corpse had to be held on board for several days (in the tropics) before the living were able to set it adrift. The smell was horrid below and eventually the body had to be moved to the aft deck and tied down untill the ok finally came.

There is a message here for everyone . "Be nice to your crew and try not to die" hehe
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2010, 07:06   #19

If I go i feel bad for whomever is with me .... I want a viking funeral , ship ablaze
chadlaroche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2010, 07:11   #20

Would you settle for spare dinghy ablaze?
Old 29-09-2010, 07:17   #21

eh I guess that would work too but I would hope I was a better viking then that !
chadlaroche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2010, 15:20   #22
Armchair Bucketeer

Odds are that an unexpected death will occur inside territorial waters and within a day or 2 of shore at most.

Therefore I would be first onto the Radio to inform the local authorities of a) the death and b) my intentions - particularly my next port of arrival & ETA.

Hopefully would mean that upon arrival that arrangements were in hand (both the practical on the body and the paperwork). Could even mean that someone would come out and transfer the body to shore. The good news is that wherever you are in the world their is a lot of it about - so always some locals well versed in dealing with the dead person stuff.

If I had a day or 2 until port would seal them up and keep 'em on the aft deck. If I had any contacts onshore would use them to help smooth the arrival by contacting the relevent authorities / an undertaker etc.

FWIW flying a body home is horrendously expensive even (especially?) from the 3rd world. Talking IRO $10/20k. Me Missus got on the plane in a pot not exactly dust - but small enough that didn't attract any request for transportation paperwork. When talking things over with a loved one IMO would make sense (in $$ terms and for far less aggro / time stuck abroad) to get them to sign up for cremation - on which note, I will mention that cremated folks can still get interred into a grave plot (unless your branch of Woo objects) same as a whole body - i.e. with a headstone, doesn't automatically mean you have to have a scattering. Oh, and Cremations don't always / have to end up with dust. There is a bit of a process to it all to arrive with dust.......I "decanted" me Missus from the Crematorium into her pot by hand, lots to bury. a few bits could probably be re-assembled...........fortunately I don't drink so much anymore.

Mid Ocean (and especially no radio contact) would be a make your own rules up - but I would hang onto them for a couple of days / as long as practical whilst attempting a radio contact, even with only a passing ship.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2010, 17:03   #23

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid
Since you mention fire brick, I suppose you must mean the age of steam power. Previously a good many merchant ships, such as East Indiamen were armed to the teeth and so would have had a supply of shot. In WW2, the USN specified a 5-inch shell to weight down the subject of the burial.
Old 01-10-2010, 07:37   #24

I don't suppose there's room for one of these on board:
Atlantic Sea Burial Shroud® | New England Burials at Sea LLc
aegean adrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 12:46   #25

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Mestrezat: This is from Ann Cate, again, not Jim:

You might be interested in a letter in the June 2010 edition of the SSCA Commodore's Bulletin, on p. 10. The title is "How to Be Prepared for World Travel." Commodore Rich Crowell and Jan Schwab contributed a letter from Tammy Woodmansee when illness struck her boyfriend while they were land traveling in South America, and written after his death. She learned a whole lot, and her letter seems to me to be an excellent exposition on the subject. Since it is copyrighted and for members only, I can't post a link or copy it myself, but you may have among your acquaintances someone who could let you see it.

Ann, s/v Insatiable II, Cairns, Qld., Oz
Old 02-10-2010, 14:15   #26

Boat: a sailing boat
I would throw the body overboard. My mate does not want all the fuss with funerals and families. I asked her to do the same to my body.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 15:11   #27

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid
Quote:
I don't suppose there's room for one of these on board:
Atlantic Sea Burial Shroud® | New England Burials at Sea LLc
Interesting, but if I were to carry something like that and then had to use it, the local RCMP might think I was a little too prepared to the point of premeditation.
Old 02-10-2010, 16:27   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrid View Post
Interesting, but if I were to carry something like that and then had to use it, the local RCMP might think I was a little too prepared to the point of premeditation.
Excellent point!
Old 02-10-2010, 16:38   #29
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
I would throw the body overboard. My mate does not want all the fuss with funerals and families. I asked her to do the same to my body.

b.
While I fully agree with (and share) this point of view, I think the biggest problem will occur when the surviving member reaches a port.

Most (all?) authorities will want to investigate to some degree or another as will families of the deceased.

Especially if there is a will involved. As they say, "where there is a will, there are relatives". Slightly dark humour not intended to offend
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 22:13   #30

Boat: C&C 34 & Sonar One Design
If I were still still at the dock I'd just call a funeral home. Water's too shallow in most marinas for a burial at sea anyway.