Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-10-2017, 17:02   #76

Boat: Formerly Pearson 28-1, now just a sailing dinghy
Re: Couple and dogs rescued after months at sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Both parties were (presumably) meat eaters...
Does the highest IQ mean who gets to eat last.
[emoji2]
I think, rather, the highest IQ gets eaten last ...
Old 27-10-2017, 17:28   #77

Location: San Diego, California - Read about our circumnavigation at www.rutea.com
Boat: Contest 48

The boat should have scuttled. I have heard that after other rescues the Navy used the abandoned sailboat for target practice. To allow the sailboat to go adrift is poor seamanship.
Old 27-10-2017, 17:36   #78
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Sorry to say, I am sliding over to the publicity side of this issue. For me, it is mostly the apparent lack of seamanship, and their story, so far, does not hold together for me.

Ann
Yes, me to Ann
Perfectly suited for the Ellen Degeneris show and a funding campaign.

For me, it would be a waste of time to offer constructive solutions to their problems.
Old 27-10-2017, 18:00   #79

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Yes, me to Ann
Perfectly suited for the Ellen Degeneris show and a funding campaign.

For me, it would be a waste of time to offer constructive solutions to their problems.
Sums it up for me pretty well.

I could not hear any of the "Interviewer" in the posted interview on youtube but the "captain" and her answering was really strange. Who was the other "mate"..
Old 27-10-2017, 19:48   #80

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Makes one wonder how soon their agent will have them booked on Ellen DeGeneres?
Screen shot from a recent Ellen show ( I don't watch ):
Happy Birthday! Bring Out The Balloons !

This show is obviously not high brow fodder.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Happy Birthday Bring out the Big Balloons.jpg
Views:	433
Size:	155.2 KB
ID:	158415  

Ayn Rand
Old 27-10-2017, 20:20   #81

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Yeah, just watched this thing on our national news tonight... tiger sharks attacking and almost capsizing the yacht? 55 to 70 knot winds? 30 foot seas? They weren't going to last another 24 hours? Calling Mayday constantly with no response in spite of ships passing by? This thing doesn't come close to passing the smell test, even with all the hyperbolic drama attributed to it for the sake of the non "mariner" audience.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 27-10-2017, 20:39   #82
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Yeah, just watched this thing on our national news tonight... tiger sharks attacking and almost capsizing the yacht? 55 to 70 knot winds? 30 foot seas? They weren't going to last another 24 hours? Calling Mayday constantly with no response in spite of ships passing by? This thing doesn't come close to passing the smell test, even with all the hyperbolic drama attributed to it for the sake of the non "mariner" audience.
and yet they seemed almost becalmed.
I would really love to get a look at the tiger shark that was big enough to capsule a sailboat that I estimate to be in the mid 40ft range.
70 knot winds , what was the name of the typhoon ?
Old 27-10-2017, 21:35   #83
cruiser

Quote:
It appears that they "set off" from Hawaii without a clue, but at least they had enough sense to take on plenty of food for all four of them which resulted in a good outcome.

Yep... sail still on the boom, jib intact and ready to deploy with roller furling (interesting).

I'm thinking they weren't really adrift in need of rescue after five months at sea, more like they got lost, just gave up, OR are now trying to market their story to buy a better boat. Judging by how well-fed everyone looks.... their story is rather transparent. They had several months to concoct their "Life of Pi" story.

Why would anyone bring along a years supply of dog food? If this was real.... the dogs would have been the people food. This story smells like total Bull Poop. Statements like "We had less than 24 hours before our boat sank," to add to the drama.
Do I win a prize for being the first skeptic on post 46 before the interview?

Their story reaks of doggie doo from two rather well-fed doggies. The publicity seeker with dark skin also looks rather well-fed. I needed to rush to get into my fishing waders whilst watching the interview... “force 11 storm for two nights and three days,” “ten knot current against them” etc. They must have passed by the UK on their way.

I’m thinking Ellen will see through the Bull poop and not want these nit wits on her show.
Old 27-10-2017, 22:22   #84

Boat: J/42

Have you people never watched an episode of "Portlandia?" It's not fiction. It's documentary. "Average" IQ is supposed to be 100, but given the state of the world it's obviously now something more like 45.
Old 27-10-2017, 22:27   #85
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Do I win a prize for being the first skeptic on post 46 before the interview?

Their story reaks of doggie doo from two rather well-fed doggies. The publicity seeker with dark skin also looks rather well-fed. I needed to rush to get into my fishing waders whilst watching the interview... “force 11 storm for two nights and three days,” “ten knot current against them” etc. They must have passed by the UK on their way.

I’m thinking Ellen will see through the Bull poop and not want these nit wits on her show.
ken share the prize with me I threw the be flag on the second page. ( would have been faster except I was busy using the cloth that came with my boats.)
Old 27-10-2017, 22:51   #86

Boat: Lagoon 450

“A group of seven 30ft sharks slapping their tails on the hull” is a hilarious tale!

This is a publicity stunt!
Old 28-10-2017, 01:31   #87
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerald Sea View Post
“A group of seven 30ft sharks slapping their tails on the hull” is a hilarious tale!

This is a publicity stunt!
this is nothing unusual if consuming magic mushrooms or on a vegan diet when the brain gets starved of protein and other essential nutrients.

this might explain the couples seemingly far fetched accounts and inability to come up with basic common sense solutions.
Old 28-10-2017, 03:31   #88

Boat: Parker Super Seal 26

Some guy cut together different interviews.

They even quoted "A Voyage For Madmen" (Book about the 1968 Sunday Times Golden Globe Race), nice parallel for this sort of Crowhurst-esque voyage.
Old 28-10-2017, 03:56   #89

Boat: Lagoon 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
this is nothing unusual if consuming magic mushrooms or on a vegan diet when the brain gets starved of protein and other essential nutrients.

this might explain the couples seemingly far fetched accounts and inability to come up with basic common sense solutions.

Atoll, the vegan diet comment is a bit far fetched. Unless their diet consisted of candy, multiple studies show that protein intake by vegans is in line and often higher than recommended (edited: initially I said in line or higher than meat eaters but looking at the evidence closer this varies significantly by population - USA vs India. vs. Germany. What is consistent is that the intake is in line with nutritional recommendations).

Animals are not the only source of protein. Protein requirements for proper brain functioning is a minuscule fraction of what the average western diet contains. And unless they were eating candy to survive, their diet likely included more than enough protein for brain functioning. Also, the effect of a total protein deficit would be shown in severe muscle and bone density loss. Btw I’m a brain researcher.

Magic mushrooms, now, here you may be into something. Other more likely explanations: low common sense, low foundational skills, carefully planned publicity stunt.
Old 28-10-2017, 04:27   #90

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

So are we suggesting their problem was they were down to there last gallon of water for their hydroponics growing nutritional 7 pronged green weeds?
Closed Thread

Tags
dogs, men, rescue