Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-02-2011, 02:54   #1

Compatibility of Hammar Systems

I'd like to buy a new Spinlock lifejacket which uses a Hammar system. There is a several manufacturers using this system on the market, nowadays.

My question is - if all of them use Hammar system, are their spare parts (CO2 cartridges+Hammar) compatible each other ? Or there are some differencies, in spite of the fact all of them use Hammar ?

It means - may I buy Hammar+cartridge from Plastimo for my Spinlock (if both of them use Hammar) ?

The point is - I like a Spinlock, but I am not sure how much the original Spinlock's spare parts (CO2 cartriges) are available around the world.
Plastimo spare parts would be (probably) more available even in the more remote destinations.
TashonkaWitko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 03:59   #2
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
The answer is yes, Hammar is a Swedish company that makes all these systems, if its a genuine hammar system the parts should be interchangable, The C02 cartridges are standard anyway. Once there isnt a difference in clyinder size.

Note replacing Hammar units while straightforward, Ive discontinue using mine and reverted to the tablet types, its very difficult to know if a hammar unit has been replaced properly

make sure you have the little "key" to allow you to release the Hammar unit.

Dave
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 06:00   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
its very difficult to know if a hammar unit has been replaced properly
Thank you for quick response.
Just about your warning. If I am right, it is about air-tightness, after replacing the whole unit, isn't it ? Maybe the simple inflation by mouth and check if all air is kept in, could be a solution ?
Old 01-02-2011, 09:26   #4

Boat: a sailing boat
CO cyllinder sizes differ based on expected buoyancy. Most lifejacket threads are same so I would expect all Hammar threads to fit.

If you cannot buy the proper thing see how you system works - some may blow up when you use to much gas, others have a valve.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 12:20   #5
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Just about your warning. If I am right, it is about air-tightness, after replacing the whole unit, isn't it ? Maybe the simple inflation by mouth and check if all air is kept in, could be a solution
Firstly a lot of Hammar lifejackets, certainly the ones I still have, had a requirement that they be replaced by a recognisied service station. Secondly I didnt like the way the hammar replacement unit was difficult to determine that it was reseated properly and I dont like the fact the the bottle cant be inspected without removing the hammar unit.

I went back to Halkey roberts/United Moudlers systems as a result.

Just my view thats all

Dave
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 13:09   #6

Dave, your opinions sound quite reasonable. Thank's a lot for your input.