Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 2.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-03-2009, 19:09   #1

Boat: Corbin 39 Special Edition
Cold Water Boot Camp

In case this hasn't been posted before.

CWBC Downloads

Good stuff.

Extemp.
Extemporaneous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2009, 19:06   #2

Boat: Sold the boat. Buying a van.
US version of "Cold Water Boot Camp" DVD available

I have seen this video and it is excellent. Very enlightening, especially for those of us who live, work, and play in cold water regions.

Dr Gordon Giesbrecht, (AKA "Professor Popsicle") is a Canadian physiologist who is rapidly becoming the worlds acknowledged authority on cold water immersion. In this video he take 8 volunteers, and has them jump in cold water (~45 F) in various scenarios, such as swimming with and without life jackets, and also trying to do basic survival functions like lighting a flare, using a hand held VHF, etc. The US version of the Cold Water Boot Camp DVD available for free from:

http://www.nasbla.org/i4a/ams/amsstore/category.cfm?category_id=6

I have personally witnessed 3 instances of people unexpectedly going into very cold water (two who were trying to beach a skiff, and one who fell into a river). Luckily, I didn't see anyone die, but Dr Geisbrecht's conclusions about what does and does not happen are spot on, from what I observed.
Old 13-03-2009, 19:29   #3

Boat: Corbin 39 Special Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK_sailor View Post
I have seen this video and it is excellent. Very enlightening, especially for those of us who live, work, and play in cold water regions.
I'm guessing that you did not click on the link, you wouldn't have to buy any video. It's all there, just scroll down. The high res is very good (need a reasonable connection). If you go to the Boot Campers, you can also here what they have to say.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK_sailor View Post
I have personally witnessed 3 instances of people unexpectedly going into very cold water (two who were trying to beach a skiff, and one who fell into a river). Luckily, I didn't see anyone die, but Dr Geisbrecht's conclusions about what does and does not happen are spot on, from what I observed.
Glad to here no one died.
It's also interesting that your observations were consistent with the info on the video.

Extemp.
Extemporaneous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2009, 10:38   #4

Cold Water Boot Camp video is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extemporaneous View Post
I'm guessing that you did not click on the link, you wouldn't have to buy any video. It's all there, just scroll down. ....... If you go to the Boot Campers, you can also here what they have to say.
Extemp.
The Canadian version is available online for download. As far as I know, the US version is not yet online, though it probably will be before long. The DVD is free, you don't have to buy it. The US version was filmed at a Coast Guard station on the Great Lakes. In general, I think it is very similar to the Canadian one, except temperatures are in F rather than C.

The DVD has several segments of various lengths, including the participants describing their experience. Also a couple of segments discussing strategies to extend ones survival time in cold water. It should be very useful for anyone doing training for groups.

Dr Giesbrecht has also helped make a "Cold Water Boating" video for the Alaska Office of Boating Safety (also available for free). In addition he helped write the Alaska Emergency Medical Services guidelines on cold injury (available at http://www.chems.alaska.gov/ems/downloads_rx.htm ) which have become the model for several other organizations. Dr Giesbrecht has done an incredible service to anyone who spends time outside in cold situations, whether afloat or ashore. My hat is off to him!
Old 14-03-2009, 10:45   #5
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
I'm waiting for the "Warm Water Boot Camp" version...
Old 14-03-2009, 10:53   #6

One more comment

One further comment on the whole issue of survival in cold water. There still seems to be an incredible lack of understanding about what really happens in these situations, even by those who should know better. After that plane ditched in the Hudson River, one of the TV news networks had an "expert" commentator (an MD from one of the big hospitals in NY). He repeated the same old (untrue) line that if those people standing on wing waiting to be rescued had gone into the water, they would have died in a few minutes from hypothermia.

Not True! In a few minutes they would have lost the ability to swim, and then drowned (if not wearing a life vest). As Dr Giesbrecht has clearly demonstrated, death from hypothermia takes much longer, even in freezing water. If wearing floatation, a healthy adult would have good chance of surviving an hour or more.

Anyone who spends time around cold water should tale a look at Dr Giesbrecht's stuff.