Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-04-2008, 20:58   #16
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
Volunteer fire companies around here charge as well as the city ambulances....they aren't cheap either
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 12:39   #17

I was talking to a friend a few years ago that is in the CG and was told they don't mind rescue missions of what ever type, as they would rather be doing those then "practice runs" but then again he was on a boat crew and not in the CG office bitching about costs, lol.

-Wantokex
Old 04-07-2008, 12:49   #18

Boat: 1973 Morgan 36T
I bend over and grab the ankles every year for the Government. I pay my fees and I have a bloody (oh never mind its Independence Day).
Morgan Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 13:00   #19
Eternal Member

Hmm...let's see.

You fall asleep in your easy chair, your lighted cigarette falls to the carpet and starts a house fire.

Should you pay for the fire department's response? Should you pay for the rescue service ambulance and services to resuscitate you and get your sorry a__ to the hospital?

Should you pay for the police department call to your house for a false house alarm?

All governments in civilized countries provide a modicum of "free" services covering emergencies, even those caused by thoughtless individuals. That's what governments are all about...they're there to serve and to protect the public. Perhaps that's an antiquated idea, and we've surely lost sight of that in this country since the Reagan pronouncement that the "last thing you want to hear is, Hi, I'm from the government".

IMHO, the Coast Guard should continue to provide rescue services for both U.S. citizens and others off its shores, within reason, and without specific charge. As others point out, it's good practice. And, based on their record, they're damned good at it.

And the cost? A miniscule fraction of the money we waste on other frivolous and ill-considered activities.

Bill
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 15:09   #20

Boat: PEARSON 422
I am a hard working, tax paying, citizen. I do everything I can to make sure that when I go offshore that I am prepared and ready for anything. If for some unforseen circumstance the coast guard has to fly/motor offshore and rescue me then I have no problem with them not charging me for it. At least, for once, the govt would be spending my tax dollars on me. Rather than feeding and housing welfare recipients who feel living on welfare is just easier than getting a job, fighting stupid wars, or subsidizing corporate tax breaks.
Old 04-07-2008, 15:36   #21

Boat: 1973 Morgan 36T
Quote:
At least, for once, the govt would be spending my tax dollars on me. Rather than feeding and housing welfare recipients who feel living on welfare is just easier than getting a job
That is so insensitive and politcally incorrect .

But I agree
Morgan Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 15:43   #22

Boat: PEARSON 422
Sorry, I don't buy in to all that political correctness fooolishness. A spade is a spade and that is what is should be called. The sensitivity I just seem to be losing as a matter of couse as I get old and cynical.
Old 05-07-2008, 07:51   #23
Senior Cruiser

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 43 (Ketch)
Good discussion - try and keep the political comments out please. This isn't the forum for that.
S/V Elusive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 19:26   #24
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"Should you pay for the fire department's response?" That's the way fire departments (fire "companies") used to work, including here in the US. The problem was that while competing fire companies literally were having fistfights to see who would take your business. They tried to get to every fire, and if the building wasn't prepaid, you started negotiating with them, while they were looting the building or fighting off the competition.

That didn't work out very well and the collateral damage included large fires spreading around. Rome, London, New York (twice), Chicago, San Francisco, have all suffered devastating fires and somewhere along the line, folks got the idea that having municipal fire departments might not be such a bad investment.

SAR is pretty much an extension of the idea. If the master or owner hasn't bought "SAR insurance" its a bit hard to explain to the families of the collateral damage (aka "crew" or "passengers") why no SAR assets were dispatched. And probably cheaper, certainly less disruptive, to have dedicated SAR assets prepaid and stationed where they might be needed.

Which is not to say the US government hasn't cheaped out, the USCG budget is pennywise poundfoolish. In between Boston Mass and Cape May NJ, there are no helicopter assets for the USCG. There are some city and state assets, and Southampton Air National Guard assets, but no full-time USCG SAR, they've all been shut down. Heckofa long ride if someone is offshore and trying to walk on water.

Value of one SAR helo dispatch from that chart? Maybe $35,000? OK, four taxpayers get lost on a fishing boat, net value $5000 each per year for the next 20 years...that's $400,000 in taxes, lost because someone didn't want to spend $35k on the flight.

Hmmmm....Which way costs the gummint more in the long run?

Not to mention, each pilot and crew DOES need to log a fairly large number of hours every year, simply to maintain their proficiency ratings. If they do that on drills--it's a total waste. If they make runs on false calls, it still counts as flight hours toward their ratings, and keeps the training costs down. Something the nifty powerpoint slides don't factor it.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 21:14   #25
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
Just curious where do you get your info on USCG Air Assets from.

I see a USCG helo at least once if not twice a week...we are due west of Cape May/Atlantic City.
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 01:14   #26
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
USCG District 1 has numerous Helicopter assets.

USCG Asset Guide
CG Assets

USCG Air Asset Guide
CG Assets

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 04:33   #27
cruiser

Yep... I have to question that too.

I see USCG helicopters daily when transiting Buzzard's Bay and the Cape Cod Canal. I think they have a station up at the head of Buzzard's or close by to there.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 04:59   #28
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
USCG Air Station Cape Cod (ASCC), with it’s four helicopters (HH-60J JAYHAWK) and four jets (HU-25C GUARDIAN - Falcon), is the only Coast Guard Aviation facility in the northeast. As such, ASCC is responsible for the waters from New York City to the Canadian border. Centrally located, at the Massachusetts Military Reservation on Cape Cod, ASCC maintains the ability to launch a helicopter and/or jet within 30 minutes of a call, 365 days-a-year 24 hours-a-day and in nearly any weather conditions.
Goto:
USCG Air Station Cape Cod
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	USCG Dist1 - CapeCod.gif
Views:	151
Size:	11.0 KB
ID:	4215  

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 05:10   #29
cruiser

Thanks, Gord. That would explain the multitude of choppers I always see in the area when transiting.

One day, I have to learn to make posts that have good web search backups rather than just rambling from experience.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 05:57   #30

Boat: Conser 47 Shearwater
Well, it seems to me if we can prosecute a questionable war to the tune of $3 billion dollars a week we can find a few dollars to rescue people off our shores.

david
dpollitt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rescue