Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-03-2011, 16:46   #1

CO2 Shipping

Are there any restrictions for checked airline baggage with the 33 gram CO2 cartridges for the auto inflatable PFD's?

If so, what is the best (only) way to transport these to your destination during air travel?
rpoint16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 18:35   #2

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'
Re: CO2 shipping

It's been a no go for CO2 cartridges on planes, unless rules have changed. Call the TSA and see what they say about. What they say goes. TSA | Transportation Security Administration | U.S. Department of Homeland Security
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 18:40   #3

Boat: 43 ft Selene/Solo

Not so!!!!!!!!! Check out the TSA site......PFD's are OK both carry on and checked baggage.......after all, every seat on the plane has a CO2 cartridge in the life vest under your seat!!!!!!!!
Ralph Waldo Emerson
captain465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 04:03   #4
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

Actually, even though the TSA doesn't prohibit PDF cartridges, each airline is free to make it's own determination as to whether to allow them onboard in checked or carryon baggage. You really need to check with the airline on which you'll be flying.

More here...

http://offshore.ussailing.org/SAS/Ge..._FAA___TSA.htm
Old 07-03-2011, 04:57   #5

Boat: 58 Taswell AS

Yes and know. The cartridges are not prohibited but some agents will confiscta them. They don't know their own rules.
speciald@ocens. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 14:32   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn Dreams View Post
It's been a no go for CO2 cartridges on planes, unless rules have changed. Call the TSA and see what they say about. What they say goes. TSA | Transportation Security Administration | U.S. Department of Homeland Security
Great feedback!

I emailed the TSA & recieved this quick response:

"Thank you for your e-mail in which you express concern regarding the transportation of personal life jackets.

Based on the U.S. Department of Transportation regulations, passengers and crew members are permitted to carry CO2 cylinders for use in life jackets in checked and carry-on bags. With approval of the aircraft operator; passengers and crew members are permitted to transport two CO2 cylinders fitted into a self-inflating life-jacket, plus two spare cartridges in checked or carry-on bags. Passengers and crew members may not transport cartridges without the
associated life jacket in carry-on bags.

The airlines must adhere to Federal regulations and they may establish
additional policies for passengers and baggage to ensure safety and compliance.
You should always notify your air carrier or visit its Web site for any special needs before you arrive at the airport and request their assistance with these needs. This should include any assistance you will need with connecting flights.

We hope this information is helpful."

I will also contact the airlines prior to travel.
Old 07-03-2011, 15:39   #7
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

The TSA has flipflopped over the years, and the airlines have generally conformed to UN regulations that actually require them to allow the carriage of "ife saving equipment" including small Co2 canisters.

HOWEVER.

The TSA inspectors at any airport have the final word as to what will be allowed onboard, regardless of official TSA or airline policy. That means any TSA inspector can say "This isn't flying today" and confiscate your CO2 cylinders and there's nothing you can do about it.

By all means, try to fly with it--it is allowed in carry-on as well--but be prepared to throw it out or send it home (oops, can't mail it except as hazmat!) and have to buy a new one at your destination.

Or, send it ahead by UPS or USPS (hazmat again) or try to call ahead and make sure you can buy one in the destination, then take your chances bringing that home.

Bottom line? The laws all say you CAN carry it. And, that the joker checking your bags can ignore them all and ban it. And his supervisor is NOT going to overrule him, no matter how wrong he may be, because he needs to show support for The System.

Good luck!
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 16:14   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
The TSA has flipflopped over the years, and the airlines have generally conformed to UN regulations that actually require them to allow the carriage of "ife saving equipment" including small Co2 canisters.

HOWEVER.

The TSA inspectors at any airport have the final word as to what will be allowed onboard, regardless of official TSA or airline policy. That means any TSA inspector can say "This isn't flying today" and confiscate your CO2 cylinders and there's nothing you can do about it.

By all means, try to fly with it--it is allowed in carry-on as well--but be prepared to throw it out or send it home (oops, can't mail it except as hazmat!) and have to buy a new one at your destination.

Or, send it ahead by UPS or USPS (hazmat again) or try to call ahead and make sure you can buy one in the destination, then take your chances bringing that home.

Bottom line? The laws all say you CAN carry it. And, that the joker checking your bags can ignore them all and ban it. And his supervisor is NOT going to overrule him, no matter how wrong he may be, because he needs to show support for The System.

Good luck!
Very good points.
THX
Old 07-03-2011, 17:24   #9

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

I fly with mine regularly heading to and from deliveries. Be polite, clean, and carry the TSA web pages printed out. If someone gets confused DON'T get huffy. Just politely ask for a supervisor.

Never had anything confiscated yet on United, Southwest, Delta, JetBlue, USAir, or Continental. Twice I have been delayed while the supervisor used the experience as a "teaching moment" for staff, but even that was kind of fun.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 05:55   #10

Boat: Leopard 42 - JAMU

It's risky, you should check with your Airline (AA prohibits this). I've done it, out of necessity, as replacement cylinders just weren't available where my boat was in Honduras. The TSA website states:

"Compressed gas cylinders are allowed in checked baggage or as a carry-on ONLY if the regulator valve is completely disconnected from the cylinder and the cylinder is no longer sealed (i.e. the cylinder has an open end). The cylinder must have an opening to allow for a visual inspection inside.

Our Security Officers will NOT remove the seal or regulator valve from the cylinder at the checkpoint. If the cylinder is sealed (i.e. the regulator valve is still attached), the cylinder is prohibited and not permitted through the security checkpoint, regardless of the reading on the pressure gauge indicator. Our Security Officers must visibly ensure that the cylinder is completely empty and that there are no prohibited items inside."
JamuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 06:14   #11

Auspicious, Could you please post a link to the TSA pages that you reference? I've searched and find only that which I posted in #9. I'd like to have the document for my own use.
Unfortunately, AA is very clear in this prohibition. https://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInform...false&from=Nav
Old 08-03-2011, 07:26   #12
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

that document AA states it allows one lifejacket.

Dave
Old 14-03-2011, 05:21   #13

Right you are about AA and one pfd.
Old 14-03-2011, 09:58   #14
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Re: CO2 Shipping

Auspicious, I'd be you haven't taken those cylinders through SeaTac or any of the NYC airports though. TSA procedures vary by location, SeaTac being one of the tightest.

Joe, the regulations concerning "compressed gas cylinders" cover scube tanks and other large cylinders. There are *special* provisions for "emergency life saving equipment" and yes, that includes the small cylinders used in it.

"Those aren't allowed on the plane"
' ' Are you sure? Because I think there are about 300 of them already on board the aircraft, stashed all over the cabin. Should I be worried about that? Is it safe for us to fly that way? ' '
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2011, 10:37   #15

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious
Re: CO2 Shipping

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Auspicious, I'd be you haven't taken those cylinders through SeaTac or any of the NYC airports though. TSA procedures vary by location, SeaTac being one of the tightest.
I haven't been through SEA in years, but have been through LGA and EWR. A printed copy of the TSA policy on PFDs has helped.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shipping