Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-02-2014, 07:51   #16

Boat: grampian 26
Re: CNN Report - Rogue Waves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
CNN should be embarrassed. This report is epitomizes why I abandoned TV viewing over 15 years ago. Pure idiocy. Wrong on just about every count.

The only reason they did this "story" was b/c the producers thought it would scare their viewers. What passes for "news" is mostly packaged fear.

Utter crap.
It may be the politics of fear but it sure is good for gun sales.
perchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2014, 07:52   #17
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
I hope you're not excluding your own.
Nope. we have BBC CBEEBIES News .
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2014, 07:53   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by perchance View Post
It may be the politics of fear but it sure is good for gun sales.
And we're off! A jerk comment about gun ownership.
Richard5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2014, 07:54   #19

CNN's model is to be laughed at -- I agree there are amazing stories going on in the world that are just not covered by CNN. Many don't know that CNN USA is different from CNN international. Go to Europe and tune in to CNN and you will get an amazing network on par with BBC etc. They have actual reporting. The thing is US audiences don't go for that sort of thing, and hence CNN in USA caters for idiotic stuff like this report. Same is true of ESPN -- not one Cricket event is listed under "news" by ESPN. There is an understanding that US audiences are just too stupid to even care about scores. By comparison Sports reports in Europe usually give out scores from NFL even though nobody plays American Football there. And the saddest thing of all is the fact that BBC news in America is DIFFERENT from BBC worldwide. They water it down for the US audiences to compete with CNN.... Let's face it, business models (people who make money and know what they're talking about with respect to data analysis) would agree that overall American audiences are just stupider than the rest of the world, and not interested in the rest of the world. Yes, CNN is not in the news business, it is in the selling toothpaste business. Whoever said that should get a Pulitzer.

As for the wave theory ... meeting two ocean currents and sea swells (as in the northern tip of NZ), combined with storms, can produce the odd gigantic wave. Nobody is disputing that. It's just not relevant news, especially when there is stuff happening in Thailand today that we know nothing about, simply because we're not currently bombing it...
Schrewsburyduo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2014, 07:56   #20

Boat: grampian 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard5 View Post
And we're off! A jerk comment about gun ownership.
Do you not understand tongue in cheek?
perchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2014, 07:58   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by perchance View Post
Do you not understand tongue in cheek?
Of all my super powers mind reading is not one of them.
Richard5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2014, 09:39   #22

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
The CNN knuckleheads don't know what they're talking about.

CNN was never very bright, but they've gone full Daily Fail in recent years. The words "CNN Report" indicate yet another link on which I should not waste my time. Most U.S. "news" outlets, when not actually factually incorrect, seem to write their stories to encourage maximum fear and anxiety among their pig-ignorant viewers. At least with Faux News, the idiocy is filtered through a clear bias. CNN can't even get its act together to exhibit even that on a consistent basis.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2014, 09:42   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Most days there is simply not 24 hours worth of news. Have you watched ESPN recently or listened to sports radio trying to come up with 24 hours worth of sports?
I just recently discovered 24 hours talk-about-sports. Prior to this I thought nothing could be more insipid than 24 news. How wrong I was.
RainDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2014, 09:47   #24

I do have to say I do not think any part of the report in the original link is factually incorrect. It is just not that informative or novel. They are basically just summarizing the MaxWave project findings, but those were released years ago.
RainDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2014, 12:33   #25

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
Nope. we have BBC CBEEBIES News .
Ya...good thing there's no bias there...
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2014, 14:14   #26

Boat: csy 37

another reason to go cruising. when we're away from tv we don't have a clue as to whats happening in the 'real' world. don't miss it at all. and we find the locals don't have a clue and don't care either. as if we could possibly do something about it anyway. that's probably one of the main reasons why i hate to come back; may not next time.

and cnn? they should change their name from 'cable news network' to 'celebrity news network'. i'd guess that 50% of their programming is now 'celebrity' related. as if i care. worst is that ditzy broad who does their morning news - robin meade i think. i expect her to break out in song any day now.

so here's a conspiracy theory, for all you conspiracy theorists. the real reason for dumbing down the news is to steer people away from keeping up with the real news and steer them towards celebrity news. then the politicians can do anything they want and no one will be the wiser.

enough ranting. i've got to get out there again, real soon...
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rogue wave