Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-07-2008, 06:02   #136

yes there is...
Old 08-07-2008, 06:12   #137

Boat: Designing a global explorer (full keel & steel)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooper View Post
yes there is...
Oh well, I guess you can call me on the "wrong side" of the angels then.
Old 08-07-2008, 06:30   #138
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooper View Post
there are plenty of angels ...get into a serious shitty situation and have some one help and disappear.... they are out there... believe me......

This happened for me once when my charter guest went beserk and had to be removed by the authorities.

I had to leave the boat to get the authorities (to make the radio call on the handheld). We left under guise of getting ice or some thing.

As I drifted by one of the larger charter boats with a large crew (at night, in the dinghy) they came on deck to see who I was. I said, "sorry... didn't intend to drift so close by. I have crazy people on my boat that need to be removed. Trying to radio the authorities."

They replied, saying they had guns aboard and could help me get the guy off the boat.

I declined and used the authorities, but the other boat (real life "angels" there offering to help me late at night) was there for me.

I wouldn't rely on the kindness of strangers as my main defense plan, but it does indeed happen sometimes.

On the flip side, you can get hit by a car and nobody will even help you:

Angel Arce Torres 35 Park St. Hartford, Connecticut Hit And on Technorati
Old 08-07-2008, 10:32   #139

I am from Connecticut. Let nobody be fooled. Mr. Torres was a real POS with a history of victimizing people. (I understand that people who did not know him should have stopped to help.) Law of Karma perhaps?

================================================== ====
People sleep peaceably because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf -- George Orwell
Old 08-07-2008, 10:50   #140
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixer View Post
I am from Connecticut. Let nobody be fooled. Mr. Torres was a real POS with a history of victimizing people. (I understand that people who did not know him should have stopped to help.) Law of Karma perhaps?

================================================== ====
People sleep peaceably because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf -- George Orwell
Sorry... don't know anything about the person hit, just was pointing out that nobody - not even the drivers in the other lanes passing by stopped to help this guy out. They drove around him!

Shows how uncaring people can be on the other side of coin - only reason I posted it.

[edit]: WOW! Just noticed something on that video. The cars that hit the guy were chasing each other going the wrong way on the wrong side of the road!!
Old 08-07-2008, 16:39   #141

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssullivan View Post
This happened for me once when my charter guest went beserk and had to be removed by the authorities....
This an example of close inshore. Not 100nm+ off a remote coast.

PS. Sully, maybe carry one of those "tasers"?
Old 08-07-2008, 20:18   #142

Boat: Spencer 53 (Amazing Grace)
Amazed this thread is going!

Haven't been on the forum for awhile but as I recall, threads discussing firearms were heavily censored by the "moderators". Not the case anymore?
Old 08-07-2008, 20:27   #143

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencer53 View Post
Haven't been on the forum for awhile but as I recall, threads discussing firearms were heavily censored by the "moderators". Not the case anymore?
That's a good question. Just the other day I was discussing (in a very polite manner) this type of subject (in another thread) with a mod (even though it appeared we sat on the opposite side of the debate chamber). Unfortunately, someone else appeared to misinterpret the posts & removed them (including the other mod's posts). Oh well – how sad – too bad - never mind.
Old 09-07-2008, 00:39   #144
Marine Service Provider

Yes Spencer it is still the case when it gets out of hand, which it usually does quickly. It just seems to be one subject that fires everyone up a bit much and then the 'interesting' (I'd add 'spooky') comments appear.

exfishnz - you would be surprised how often a Mod deletes a Mods post. We are just like you i.e. one of us goes bad and the rest of us will jump on him... or her. The Mod team is very diverse and all over the world so again, just like everyone else we each have our own views just like everyone else. Also sometimes one of us may just get a bit too excited and say something out of line. So as we are just like you, we will pull each others posts just like we will pull yours if you play up.

On occasion we may pull a series of posts just so that the thread makes sense and flows. Sometimes if you just pull one, a post a couple after will refer to the pulled post and just confuses everyone.

You're just lucky you're not a Mod. After we pull a Mods post we then take turns at bashing the wayward Mod with a big blunt stick. This is done in the backroom so we don't spook the children and small furry animals. I played up a few months back and expect to be able to sit down again next week
Old 09-07-2008, 00:58   #145

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMac View Post
So as we are just like you, we will pull each others posts just like we will pull yours if you play up.
My original post was not playing up. It was a response to post that was a day old. My further posts were after a response from a mod (of which I don't believe the mod played up either).

I'm not wanting to start a "pee pee" match here. I'm just stating that when a mod responds to a user's post, then the user genuinely believes that a subject is OK to discuss, that's all. Had the mod told me not to continue the subject, then I would have done so, its that simple.

Quote:
After we pull a Mods post we then take turns at bashing the wayward Mod with a big blunt stick.
Hmmm... I notice someone's not here today.

PS. proxy ip servers are a beautiful thing
Old 09-07-2008, 01:14   #146
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by exfishnz
... when a mod responds to a user's post, then the user genuinely believes that a subject is OK to discuss, that's all. Had the mod told me not to continue the subject, then I would have done so ...
With over 10,000 members, including 16 volunteer Mod/Admins, it can sometimes be difficult to maintain decorum, even within the management team.

This is one of those instances, GMac is referring to, where the responding Mod’ was out of line (with Forum policy), and had his offending posts pulled, along with yours.

The Mod apologizes for misleading you, and assures you that no prejudice attaches to the exchange.

Perhaps enough has been said, and we can move forward with more productive discussions. Thanks for your patience and understanding.

Gord

Old 09-07-2008, 01:28   #147
Marine Service Provider

Err.... I wasn't inferring you were playing up but your response did make me think 'he thinks he maybe guilty of something. I wonder what?' I haven't caught up fully with this thread and was making just a general comment.

Most Mods post here as people just like you and everyone else. While here we do all try to observe and remind people, if required, the Form rules. But I can assure you us Mods aren't gods, infallible or the same person. We are a team and try to work as one but like any team, on occasion one player will have a blinder of a game, equally there is the odd fumble as well.

It's all just part of the rich tapestry we call life.

{edit} Opps, didn't see you slip in there Gord
Old 09-07-2008, 01:50   #148

Boat: 13 mtr Adams steel cruiser-"Lady Eileen".)
Crackers, bungers and roman candles

Hi,

Well this really has been an interesting thread.Wasn't aware the firearm debate was so lively.?
Interesting views-and surprising it has gone so long also
I absolutely detest guns.When I was about 12 I was sitting in a room full of kids and someone pulled a loaded 22 down off the cupboard.It was passed around the room and it went off without anyone touching the trigger.Someone died.Not something that I like to bring up and it wasn't the persons fault who ended up holding the gun when it went off in any way.It just goes to show you someone always gets hurt or killed when a gun is pulled out.

As far as what you choose in defending your territory that is a very hard one to decipher unless you know how far people are willing to go.
There has been some very interesting defensive items suggested here.
Not sure how I would go now at 52 ( old codger now ) but I was a boxer for 6 years and also trained in full contact Kyokushin karate for 8 years.I will kill without hesitation if I see that I, my family or my friends are going to be put in life treatening situations.
Obviously I would not entertain this unless it was imperative to act swiftly and decisively,but once I choose that course everthing and anything that I can get my hands on will be used as a weapon.

Cooper, I like the reference to the angels.Yep they are out there and they will come just like in any situation there are people prepared to get in close and get down in the dirt with bullies and arse#$^%^&

I would carry some roman candles ( those great old ball throwers we used to be able to get) and bloody big bungers ( firecrackers ) around to scare off intruders. lol.
Failing that, there is only one other deterent I am aware of that will see intruders jump off your boat and even slice their wrists as they swim off.

That is by playing Barry Manilows greatest hits at force 10 volume with every second track interspersed with Tracy Chapman.

Sorry if you really like Bazza and Tracy- really.

Regards
John.
Old 09-07-2008, 02:05   #149
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
This has gone on and on and on

You carry a life raft……. You hope you never have to use it

You carry a gun…. You hope you never have to use it.

Both are costly options that don’t need to be justified by anyone else but you.

However, one government agency mandates its use while another prohibits the other survival option.

Bottom line…You decide!
Old 09-07-2008, 02:55   #150

Boat: 13 mtr Adams steel cruiser-"Lady Eileen".)
Wise words.

Hi Pelagic,

Well stated- and as you say -a personal choice

Unfortunately in Australia,if you wish to carry arms you need to go through a very stringent licensing system to be able to carry them.Not like in the USA where you can ,as far as I am aware get guns and ammo down the aisles at some local stores.Here everything is under lock and key.

Not sure if I have this right but in some countries like Switzerland and other European countries even the police do not carry firearms and the mortality rates by gun shot are extremely low.
In other countries where firearms are are an extension of life like even going down the shop (Australia included ) deaths by firearms are much higher.
Not a political view just an observation.

Shame we even need to carry anything like a gun when we just want to cruise the ocean and enjoy it dont you think.?
Having said that and I have not been anywhere just yet I am now going to carefully consider what I have read here so thanks everyone for opening up my eyes a bit where cruising is concerned.

Regards
John.
Closed Thread